ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I want another Renault.

R5 GTT, Ph1 Megane
Hello fellow Renault owners.

I'm looking for a Clio to add to my collection of cars as a daily.
I was on the hunt for a Red Mk1 1.8 16v but no luck with that one.
So next in line is a Racing Blue 182.

Anything to look out for other than belt change and rust? I have found one I like but prices seem to be pretty varied.

The wife and I have quite a few cars but here's my 2 Renaults.

Cheers
IMG_20210729_194751_909.jpg

IMG_20220101_181929.jpg

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
In terms of Rust it’s not as bad as older Renaults it is usually around the filler cap and on the sill where it’s been jacked up sometimes the side skirt has a gap due to a really squashed sill. The rust also appears on the weld seem, around the boot opening, inside the boot hatch as the drain holes get gummed up easily, Sometimes the radiator brackets rust, this leads to damage to the ac condenser. Check under the carpet if you can around the driver and passenger footwell as water can accumulate from a blocked scuttle drain and lead to rust and mould.

the airbag light is a common fault and is usually the under seat wires but don’t ignore other lights on the dash they do mean that something is wrong, the amount of posts on here with people ignoring eml lights on purchase is insane.

oh and a lot of cars have fag burns on seats the alcantara seems to melt on the slightest touch of ash.

one last thing… the cats are worth good money and most go missing in the cars life check what’s underneath.

R5 GTT, Ph1 Megane
In terms of Rust it’s not as bad as older Renaults it is usually around the filler cap and on the sill where it’s been jacked up sometimes the side skirt has a gap due to a really squashed sill. The rust also appears on the weld seem, around the boot opening, inside the boot hatch as the drain holes get gummed up easily, Sometimes the radiator brackets rust, this leads to damage to the ac condenser. Check under the carpet if you can around the driver and passenger footwell as water can accumulate from a blocked scuttle drain and lead to rust and mould.

the airbag light is a common fault and is usually the under seat wires but don’t ignore other lights on the dash they do mean that something is wrong, the amount of posts on here with people ignoring eml lights on purchase is insane.

oh and a lot of cars have fag burns on seats the alcantara seems to melt on the slightest touch of ash.

one last thing… the cats are worth good money and most go missing in the cars life check what’s underneath.
That is great advice. Thanks a lot. I guess this type of question is asked a lot by new members so appreciate it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Damn, both look great examples! Sure you don't want to sell one then? 😍

they're definitely not great examples, the track heap is tatty at best but a mechanically a weapon i guess, the daily RB is a leggy, rusty old bugger still chomping the miles at a current total of 240234 as of this morning at work! lol!

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Not many Mk1 Meganes about now, rarer than the GTT I bet! Would like to see those on (shameless plug) TurboRenault.co.uk forum too, thats our sort of thing.

R5 GTT, Ph1 Megane
they're definitely not great examples, the track heap is tatty at best but a mechanically a weapon i guess, the daily RB is a leggy, rusty old bugger still chomping the miles at a current total of 240234 as of this morning at work! lol!
Thats my sorta thing! One of our dailys is a beat up 205 5dr with a D-Turbo in!
One of my most fun cars is my AE86 which is far from tidy but great fun!
505.jpeg

R5 GTT, Ph1 Megane
Thats my sorta thing! One of our dailys is a beat up 205 5dr with a D-Turbo in!
One of my most fun cars is my AE86 which is far from tidy but great fun! View attachment 1588291