ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ibys New clio 182

Hi !
My first post and first Renault.
I've bought myself a Clio 182 but have a ton of questions in mind and hope you all can give me advice and some help.
I've previously built a c20xe in a corsa so I have some mechanical background and a load of tools but new to clios.

Here are a few pictures of it as it stands (from advert)
It has had a new dephaser pulley,
new clutch,
new belt,
Milltek exhaust from cat.
*aparently* new water pump
it has coilovers at the front
17" alloys.

It sounds nice, I get 34 mpg ish according to the trip computer.
MOT advised that front passenger side bearing needs to be replaced
and brakes are "scored"

As I was looking through MOT history it seems like when something needed replacing, it was replaced by putting uprated parts on it.
It has some fancy coilovers, not had a chance to check the make of it but it might be K tec.

Plans:
I would like to change the alloys to something either standard or the speedline Corse 16" set.
Clean the headlights (polish)
Give it a good scrub inside and out.
The handbrake goes all the way to the top so I need to adjust it. Pads seem *OK* to me but I'll take a pic and show you guys to give me your thoughts on it.
Oil is nice and gold and mechanic said he has also gave it a service.
I dont like the feeling of the steering, all sorts of one of knocks, and noises seem to be coming out when driving so I have bought the following from eBay to replace:
Track rod ends,
Wishbones and ball joints (ball joint passenger side also advisory on MOT)
Both front bearings with ABS sensor
passenger side window regulator (as one of the cable has snapped so it only goes down by force but goes up with the motor)
and a bluetooth OBD2 thingy to connect to my phone so I can see if any codes are stored on there.
I have also just spotted a hole in the chassis where I think one of the wishbones or joints connect into. It doesn't look healthy to me and border-line safe. I'm taking it on a ramp tomorrow after work to make sure I get a proper second opinion on everything.
One bad thing is that it has a locking nut but no key. :( Don't know what to do with that.
mileage is 87K
Bought for 1650 squids.

media?id=95ab061858894559b10a1cad832a882e.gif

media?id=fc347cc32a194770ac51fffe481e5eaa.gif

media?id=7fcdd67804564f849185f05504b06094.gif

media?id=52c0801689804c308dd9cba332fedcb6.gif

media?id=5e6aa645152b46c28e43901326019ac9.gif

media?id=631d71d57d5148a792d9a812cbfe4c81.gif

media?id=ae67b64975514bb4b4d6a4eac3c31fb1.gif

media?id=ac98eba605f74d9e9202776a7d327243.gif

media?id=6cd8df28cd0f4aab9d6028c15305053f.gif

media?id=212a7567376b47b8a851e1b91fa23b1b.gif

media?id=1bc3d38ae0a042baa5db1e82c985afca.gif

media?id=58a67b1aeea24996ad8c5faf01a68e4a.gif

media?id=af38ffad17354d6b8748ebf02fb6ddd4.gif

media?id=815e910546584ddf99fab35cce80a245.gif

All looks good and promising.
My top three first things post the work you are having done.
Get the steering wheel redone by either Royal steering wheels (see my thread or many others-top quality work) or by snappy (again top drawer and see various threads). This has been the best value for money/enjoyment non-mechanical thing I have bought so far.
When you get new wheels get quality tyres. I'm sure you know this but better to do this before a lot of other stuff.
And a cheap one- if the seats need it- buy a £5 debobbler/lint remover- it makes a surprisingly pleasing difference.

All looks good and promising.
My top three first things post the work you are having done.
Get the steering wheel redone by either Royal steering wheels (see my thread or many others-top quality work) or by snappy (again top drawer and see various threads). This has been the best value for money/enjoyment non-mechanical thing I have bought so far.
When you get new wheels get quality tyres. I'm sure you know this but better to do this before a lot of other stuff.
And a cheap one- if the seats need it- buy a £5 debobbler/lint remover- it makes a surprisingly pleasing difference.

I'm getting nothing other than Brand New Uniroyal Rainsport 3.
I'm going to leave steering wheel all the way to the last of my jobs to do because my hands get dirty when doing stuff with the car, last thing I want is a refurbed steering wheel with grease and muck all over it.
Seats are quite clean to be honest. I just want the "Renault sport" writing on the seats to be more whiter . But I'll get my super mum on it. lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Standard wheel is bus like, get an aftermarket 330/300mm wheel, transform the drive.

Next would be an induction kit, the 'fatty' style works well, way cheaper than the ktec alternative.

If the car is running a standard map, crap from cold? Then I recommend a remap, where you based?

Some decent tyres, brakes and make sure the suspension is good, oil change and away you go.

Also becoming a member (£12) will allow you access to the whole forum, for sale, wanted section etc. Be the best £12 spent.

It's a great forum with some very helpul people.

Rainsport are good but there better buys. I really like the hankook v12's or be a hero like me and get ado8r's at £360 ish.

Agree with all of above and all imprezaworks states too. Any plans to track/strip it? I always think about it but for neglible on road performance gains the extra noise and less comfort I'm not sure it's worth it unless you are on track a fair bit. Unless you want to strip because 'race car' then just do it for fun :)

Standard wheel is bus like, get an aftermarket 330/300mm wheel, transform the drive.

Next would be an induction kit, the 'fatty' style works well, way cheaper than the ktec alternative.

If the car is running a standard map, crap from cold? Then I recommend a remap, where you based?

Some decent tyres, brakes and make sure the suspension is good, oil change and away you go.

Also becoming a member (£12) will allow you access to the whole forum, for sale, wanted section etc. Be the best £12 spent.

It's a great forum with some very helpul people.

lol. You've litterally answered all my questions in one go. genius.

I made a video of my idle being a little lumpy (either that or my OCD) and yet, from cold it's crap.
I've already spoken to a company called BHP-UK. I work in an inductrial / technology park and one of the units is rented by them. They;ve got a rolling road. 75 quids for a rolling road and 250 quid for a custom map.
Regarding the air-filter. I've been reading mixed reviews on it. Forget k-tec for induction - rip off in this respect only. Some say that it gives more power, some say you loose. I may do a swap of induction whilst on the rolling road to actuallyt see gains and losses.
If my Engine gets a good amount BHP as it stands, I'll remap it. If not then i'll just stick to it as it is.

Tyres, as mentioned uniroyals, Brakes - currently has drilled discs and standard pads. Going to consider standard Discs and greenstuff pads but it's my daily so maybe pads actually wont get hot enough to perform well?
Suspension is coilies at front, and spring with an adjustable cup at back with standard suspension. Makes aweful knock noises at front. If it is suspension I'll be looking into proper stuff.
Oil change I'll do 5k miles later.
I was wondering why all the private thingy on the listings.

So far, this forum isn't full of crack heads which is what I like.

Agree with all of above and all imprezaworks states too. Any plans to track/strip it? I always think about it but for neglible on road performance gains the extra noise and less comfort I'm not sure it's worth it unless you are on track a fair bit. Unless you want to strip because 'race car' then just do it for fun :smile:

Not going to lie. I'd love to do this and have done with my previous corsa c20xe (2.0 petrol) build. Only thing is - i've got married very recently. Need to keep Mrs happy - at least for a few years. hahaha. God, I hope she doesn't see this.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Plenty of time.

Two places I would get my car mapped, efi in Runcorn or Rs tunning in Leeds. The former my car has been too and transformed the car. Cold start ace, smooth power delivery etc.

I might be getting these after work. Close to me for £100 cash.

Some standard stuff. I think theyll look nice painted anthracite.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-06-23-31-57.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-06-23-31-57.png
    1 MB · Views: 98

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Dont really see them on clio's, well on here anyway. They do fit the clio okay, centre bore not to small or anything daft like that?

Ooo. I didnt think about the centre bore too much. I thought renault. Ill do some research on the sizes.

Going to go check some other alloys out in 10 minutes too. This just to give some better shoes as these 17" scrape at back and are all bold.

In the long run id like some speedline corse. But only when I feel the car is worth it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Centre bore on the Clio is 60.1 do anything larger will fit with spiggot rings. Obv smaller won't unless you make the hole bigger.

If you were a member you could stick a wanted thread up for some wheels

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Induction on these is more about letting the monster out than more performance. Fills my heart with smiles it does :) To try it just take the airbox top off and filter out. You can slip a silicone section with pod filter on inside the std bend and rest it inside the filter box. If you don't like it then it's 2min to remove and revert back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard box with modified filter is probably what ill be doing :)

Wet sanding the headlights I will be doing towards the end of the mods.

Previously I went outside (body) then mechanics.

This time im going to make sure its a proper solid drive, then sort the outside out :)

I want to blank off the headlight washer jets too to be honest. I dont like them and they dont work haha.

Update last night:

Spent ages getting 1 security wheel nut off. I mean at least a few hours. My welder wasnt just up for the job! Attempted the second and so I didnt get anywhere.

Have a mig welder 450.

Ill get the car to the garage today at some point so they can have a go at the weld.

Renault said they wanted a code from my handbook which I couldnt find at all. Car is essential for my work so im going to take it to the garage at lunch.

Bought the Renault megane alloys to put on the car, seller said the bore was 60.1 as well. Its just to give it some emergency wheels for now, if I like them, ill paint them anthracite, if not then Ill look for some standard ones.

Who in the right mind would even want to get rid of the originals and swap for these ones on the car right now.

Standard box with modified filter is probably what ill be doing :smile:

Wet sanding the headlights I will be doing towards the end of the mods.

Previously I went outside (body) then mechanics.

This time im going to make sure its a proper solid drive, then sort the outside out :smile:

I want to blank off the headlight washer jets too to be honest. I dont like them and they dont work haha.
Look at madcon on eBay. His carbon washer blanks are a delight. £38 delivered and quality service.

Hi All,

Not updated this for a while but have done some work on the clio.

New track rod ends
front 2 bearings
New Wishbones both
both back hand brake cables
New Water Pump and tensioners / Aux belt
Front Discs and Pads
Rear Pads
Ramair Foam Filter in the standard Airbox
Exhaust tips painted Red
Cleaned the Engine bay
Replaced the left side Window Motor.

Planned Work for Now:
. Top struts for the coilovers that are installed: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/clunking-noise-on-coilovers-springs.808803/#post-11415459
. Replacing the dogbone mount : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302321641009?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
. Replacing the Centre Exhaust rubber mount (mine broke and caused a break in the flexi pipe that comes off the CAT Converter, I welded it back together haha) : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250773617897?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
. Install Quick shift linkage: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371593047806?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
. New wheel bolts: (because I like new, and the bolts I have on the car are different sizes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152305432470?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
. Possibly put these on them, if they don't make it look chavy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351310114615?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
. Install this sandwich plate for the oil filter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222514359562?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
That's so I can have my Oil Pressure and Temperature Gauge on it.
. Install the 52mm Rev gauge and Vacuum Gauge as well. so In total 4 x Guages, I love little gadgets like these, plus I then know if my car is behaving funny (loss of oil pressure, high temps, etc)
. Weld the hole in the chassis - Haha - Not really funny tbh, just that I need to get it welded for MOT.
. Replace Sparkys with the new platinum ones I have
. Tracking for like 5th time
. Replace / repair the Heater Resistor pack (Heater always on despite being off from the module)

Planned Work Future:
Replace rear Lights, maybe paint them / tint on a spare set to see how it would look
. Open up the Airbox, see if I can make anything flow better / smoother
. Kinda need the Dephaser and Timing belt replacing :?
Front 2 lights, open a spare set up them up and install soft-tube DRLs
. MOT runs out on 2nd August, but I'm going away from 1st August until like 10th of September so I'll get it MOT'ed then.

Reactions: Gus
Yeah it is, i only bought them as a temp solution but I really like then now. Once theyre cleaned up they look really good.

Ive pained the callipers red so it nicely peeks behind it.

Put in the short shifter. What a pain but it feels really good now. All gears going in nice and smooth with no movement. Feels awesome!

Also changed the sparkys and car runs a lot smoother as well as better top end. I fogit to check the resistance of the HT leads to see if i would be better off replacing them or not though. Cleaned te throttle body, couldnt find my carb cleaner spray so just used wd40 on tissue.

Replaced the middle exhaust rubber mount

Sorted some of the exhaust heat shield issues out by replacing washers for bigger ones.

Also, gave him a wash as it was getting very dirty.

c8ef35c374a57ff595bf64c1ae4d5ff3.jpg

89b191bd61aa4be3d56aa55efecc298f.jpg

968683cc761da490e08e0d57c144e732.jpg

93739a13ccbb519538792e0de23a7992.jpg

b2312229c38b98c669a03700bb58ae09.jpg