ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Identify which injector is at fault?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

My 182 is currently not being used and when I have been taking it out, its been pretty lumpy and the emissions light is flashing. Last time after a few minutes of thrashing it when warm, it went away.From googling this seems to be an injector fault.

Without a fault code reader, how can I identify which injector it is without doing the job four times!
Thanks

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Unplug each one in turn until one doesn't make a difference to how the engine runs. That's your dodgy one

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Or disconnect and use a multimeter on them

What reading am I looking for and between which two contacts?

Unplug each one in turn until one doesn't make a difference to how the engine runs. That's your dodgy one
Great thanks, obviously just the electrical connector? Will it have no negative effects if I pull a functioning one? Just stall the engine or something?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
What reading am I looking for and between which two contacts?

Great thanks, obviously just the electrical connector? Will it have no negative effects if I pull a functioning one? Just stall the engine or something?
Yeah just the connector. Nah no negative effects, it'll just drop onto 3 cylinders

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah just the connector. Nah no negative effects, it'll just drop onto 3 cylinders
I mean it does have some negative effects as you're essentially forcing a misfire. Should he fine for a short duration but resistance is better to measure imho

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I mean it does have some negative effects as you're essentially forcing a misfire. Should he fine for a short duration but resistance is better to measure imho
Yeah if possible measure resistance. Not gonna cause any damage tho is it briefly unplugging?

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Unplug each injector and put a multimeter on the terminals of the injector. You should get 14.5 ohms or around about. A faulty one will read way below that. I did the same and had one read 10 ohms which was injector number 3. Changed it and it's now running great.

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
For anyone looking it was the injector.

clio182mike was dead right. Measuring from the electrical connectors on the injectors with engine off, good injectors were at 14 ohms and the bad one was at 10 ohms.
Nice to read you got it fixed 👍