ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idiot's guide to h/u swap

"Navy" N17 TWO
How exactly do I swap a h/u ? :eek:

What tools are need to to get the old h/u out?
Do the wires just "plug-in" ?
If I already have an amp installed , is there extra setting up or wiring required when I swap the h/u?

I have the JVC KD SHX701 h/u, thinking of putting in an Alpine 9855R :)

Thanks in advance for any hints

gsb

98 Sreg Clio RT
There are normaly some sort of release 'keys' that you push in either side of the hu. They would of come with the hu, check the manual for more specific instructions :D

The old HU should just unplug from the wiring loom and the new one plug in. The only thing you should have to change is the 'cage' thing which holds the HU in.

If you have an amp you will have to swap the RCA's and the remote cable too.You'll prob have to adjust the gains etc on the amp too.

Mégane RS
yeah just a simple case of taking the old one out and putting in the new, cant really go wrong with it really

what everyone else said, its only easy when you know how :)

if your unsure, to prevent damage, get a professional to fit it.

Mégane RS
Not hard at all and i cant see any real way you could damage anything, just follow the instructions and if you get stuck post on here and people will be more than happy enough to help you lol

well i fit them as an aspect of my job and you should see the kind of dunces we have to deal with that come in after trying to fit their own stereo. Obviously im not saying tigger is a dunce in any kind of circumstance, but anyone can hook up a remote wire to a permanent live or a ignition feed by accident for instance.
i guess im just to lazy to give a proper explanation on how to do it coz i do it all day at work.
but like i said, it may not be hard but its only easy when you know how

"Navy" N17 TWO
ICE dealers charge a fortune for installations (even after loyal discounts) :(

I've always got any work done by a pro but you don't learn anything about the mods from paying someone to do it - we all have to start somewhere

Bought myself a Haynes manual today so that's a step in the right direction ;)

Mégane RS
lol, take it to Halfrauds lol, think they charge abut £15. its not hard at all, i fitted my own and never even read up on it, just plug the wires into the same place they came out of lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
I wouldnt trust Hafrauds with a R/C model never mind the car lol
I think anyone on here would rather take responsibilty for their mistakes than taking it there :rolleyes:

106 GTi
As headunits these days and cars are both fitted with ISO connectors it is just plug and play, un plug the old and plug in the new. If you want the stalk and displays in the car to work, you will need to get extra wiring harneses and interfaces though.

Straight head unit swap is a 5 min job.

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ Exactly - and places charge around 30-45 for just a swap :eek:

They might knock off a few quid if they have *cough* "ripped you off before" *cough*

Clio Dci Dynamique
Tigger said:
^ Exactly - and places charge around 30-45 for just a swap :eek:

They might knock off a few quid if they have *cough* "ripped you off before" *cough*

Whereabouts are you tigger? If your local il drive round meself nd show you how to do it. Changing the head unit is a piece of piss mate honestly.

Clio Dci Dynamique
Ah.... bit far from northants that lol.

Yeah mate give it a shot it really is a piece of piss!!

Remove old HU with H/U removal keys which can be bought from halfords or renault will remove it for free this takes all of 3 seconds!! Push the keys into the little holes and the when they all click pull out the head unit slowly.

Insert your new metal cage that comes with your head unit carefully until it wont go any further into the hole. Then bend back the little flaps on the cage with a screwdriver or other tool until most of them are bent back all the way around the openeing this will stop your head unit sliding out. Once the cage is seure pull your wires through so you can connect them into your new headunit. Turn the power on to check that everything works ok. then slide the whole thing carefully back into the cage so as to not trap any wires should click into place.

JOB DONE. Time taken 10 mins to 1 hour depending on how fat your hands are lol.

Monaro VXR
Car audio centre charged me £20 to install a H/U and that took them a while wasnt a simple swap with mine as there was no adaptor available so one had to be made for me.

oi.... less of the rip off business...

we have a fixed rate here of 35+vat min to fit a customers own headunit (depending on the car), its an arbituray line we've set and its only coz they have bought the headunit else where (obviously we fit our own ones for free, depending on the car again).
but at the end of the day we dont need to do the job so if thats to much, then customer can go elsewhere lol.

but tigger, its really easy. basically

buy some radio releasing keys, the ones you need are "PC5 83" (which is an autoleads part number which halfords sell). Then you slide them into the roles on the radio slowly until they click, then pull the unit out slowely (important, dont push the releasing keys in to far!)

then you put your new cage into position in the whole and bend as many clips as possible on the cage around so they lock the cage in place.

then plug the male renault plugs u pulled out of the old stereo into the female corresponding plugs on the new stereo radio wiring loom and also plug ur aerial into the new set to.

then slide the set in, simple really

A well built VW
Doing mine tomorrow (i know its a megane but will be the same) i'l try and remember to take some pics for you, its dead easy

Don't waste your money on the "removal keys" get a wire coat hanger, snip two pieces, fold each piece into a U shape. Put bent coat hanger pieces into holes, until they click into place and then pull slowly toward you. The HU will come out.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
trailerparktrev said:
Don't waste your money on the "removal keys" get a wire coat hanger, snip two pieces, fold each piece into a U shape. Put bent coat hanger pieces into holes, until they click into place and then pull slowly toward you. The HU will come out.

I'm not having much luck with the coat hanger trick. Apart from shedding my thumb skin off and managed to scratch the side panel i'm not doing too good.
How far should i need to push the coat hanger in to hear this 'click'?? And once its clicked does it kind of pop out and then i slide it out?
Any help appreciated.
John

Last edited:
  182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Guys i'm really struggling here. I can hear the click but not alot else is happening. When i try and pull towards me the coat hangers just come out of the holes.I did actually manager to edge out one side but couldn't get a grip on it and accidently pushed it back in.:dapprove:
Can i not try sliding a thin knife down the side? This is really frustrating me. I've down several times on other cars.
I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!
John

Dubai182 said:
Guys i'm really struggling here. I can hear the click but not alot else is happening. When i try and pull towards me the coat hangers just come out of the holes.I did actually manager to edge out one side but couldn't get a grip on it and accidently pushed it back in.:dapprove:
Can i not try sliding a thin knife down the side? This is really frustrating me. I've down several times on other cars.
I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!
John

Once you have all 4 coat hangers in wiggle them from side to side, so that the head unit housing becomes loose. It may take time put it saves you having to buy removal keys which may do the same thing.

CH33MA

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi Guys,
I've the standard H/U out but on my new head unit the connection is never going to fit the ISO. I've taken some pictures and will post some up when i get home to help explain things better. Basically i've got a connection that came with the H/U with about 7/8 wires all labelled for the different speakers,mute,illumination etc. However i thought i could simply plug the ISO in from the car into the new H/U but there is no way its ever going to fit. Do i need an adapter or something? Or am i going to have to wire it all in myself?
John

P.S Sorry if i've explained that crap,i'll post the pictures up when i'm home from work.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi Mate,
This is the connection i've not got at the back of ny new H/U:
560275253772e27d33cf14da2c1c785f645a5b8e9e5fe25d1325723c.jpg

Its really hard for me to explain so i'll leave it til i can get some pictures up this evening. The head unit is KDC X7529. I don't think its available in the UK its an Asia/Middle east unit.
Its really frustating me,lol.
John