ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

idle problems/hesitation

Yo clio owners. My 16v seems to idle very low revs sometimes and cuts out. When driving, it hesitates at low revs, but goes away when you put the foot down. Any ideas wot it could be?

Mine does that aswell! Not all the time... and only on start up! If u thrap it its fine! Otherwise it stalls!

Same here - particularly noticable through town but i thought it was down to my cams/chip etc. As a stop gap im gonna increase the idling speed a bit cos its a complete pain!

Mine used to do that, Ive adjusted the potentiometer and it drives fine now. Still wont idle quite right when cold though.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

idle speed control valve....just had the same problem with mine, replaced it and it runs perfect now....

if not that the the road speed sensor, swap ur speedo cable...

both dead easy jobs to do like...!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

or u could adjust ur potentiometer, but if u do it will need setting up by renault, as it needs to be spot on!!!

mine revs a bit low cold, just checked the ht leads i revcently bought and one of them doesnt have a metal connector inside, so effectively runs on 3 cylinders until it wars and then gos adhoc i suppose.

I have always found the distributor cap and leads/sparks cause problems with idling speed.

can it be the ICV if the problem is also there driving at low revs too? perhaps road speed sensor. get it on a diag machine and find out for sure.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

yeah, i played with potentiometer when mine was acting up, revs became erattic and it was slightly hesitent when i was just cruising at normal speeds.

but once that was back to normal the car was still cutting out etc, but was still driving fine. Sounded a bit rough though, especially from cold.

Runs spot on now (touch wood)

thinking about it I had mine on diagnostics, and it came up with ECU fault! changed it for another and exactly the same! bizarre!

dont you have to clear the fault code from memory, seem to remember that they dont go even after changing the faulty component?

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

All the above!!!!

ECU needs all the relevant info to run the engine...

It could also be a temp sensor (inlet manifold / or water temp sensor in the housing LH side engine)

Michael

Focus 2.0 Ghia

My RSI also occasionally suffers with same problem as mentioned above if you thrash it its fine. Not exactly good for the car though. :sick: