ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignition problems, I'm hopeless

Hi,
So far I replaced HT leads , spark plugs, coilpack , lambda , battery , all OEM and leads are magnecor. Checked timing and compression, all seem good. Tried running without map and lambda connected, the same problems persist.
The car has a few problems (ph2 172) -
Idle RPM is stable but sounds like it's running on 3. Doesn't sound consistent like when it really runs on 3, this could be fuel supply related though, new injectors are on the way.
The car misfires a lot during acceleration, it sometimes won't rev past certain RPM. Acts like there's a very unnatural rev limiter, and if I keep flooring it, it will make huge backfires. It's also down on power obviously. If I floor it from low rpm at high gear, it will judder very violently.
Today it misfired very badly and shut off, had to tow it. It would cut off the starter by itself after 1-2 seconds of trying to start.
No fault codes via cheap OBD reader except when pulling the MAP. Not even a lambda fault code, although it has a decat and I replaced the post cat lambda. It used to have a second lambda code when it was running good though.
High fuel consumption by 50%, thanks to the misfires I guess.
There's no trustworthy mechanics in my country, especially when it comes to a car they never seen before.
What else can I try ? New TDC ? after that only a new ECU ?!

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Hmm I think so yes...
IAT = Intake Air Temp sensor. The small thingy on the right side of the intake manifold. Give it a good clean with brake cleaner.
8_10_2015_10_01_18_AM.png

Bit strange no errors are logged :(

partly solved by replacing the TDC sensor and its loom , ignition seems right . Also changed to a free flow backbox as I thought mine was bad and causing backpressure - very strong engine braking sometimes, so far seems like it stopped.
The idle still isn't perfectly smooth but 4 new injectors are on the way .
I really hope it will solve it, nothing else to try if it doesn't .

Overall I get good acceleration now , very nice after 5k, but I cannot believe how weak the car is at normal revs. I always find myself wanting to accelerate harder to be faster than traffic, so I floor it and find out I was already flooring it, from the exhaust and induction noise. I'm worried about excessive engine wear since it's always under nearly full throttle when I drive with traffic and shift at 3k.
Still doesn't always start at first attempt after the new TDC !! can't be injectors, it kind of starts for a moment after a long crank and dies down. Happens both when cold and hot, mostly cold.

Last edited:
  Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Is your battery in good condition? Does the alternator deliver +14v when running?

About the "weakness", is your clutch slipping?

Clutch not slipping at all, floor it at 2k 5 gear and revs won't move.
Didn't check voltage but battery light comes only when engine is off , just replaced the battery also.

Renault Clio 182 BG
I'd try the new injectors first if their already on their way. Mine had a destructive misfire, not diagnosed by my code reader but only showed on Renault clip, it was pretty much undrivable though. I put 2nd hand injectors in that were offered just to see if that was the problem before i bought some new one and partially solved the problem (still had a low down misfire) but new ones saw it right and not been bother since.

Injectors pretty much solved it ,
I'm still not sure it's 100% as the idle sounds a bit weird - https://d1wst0behutosd.cloudfront.n...GO9RfvVS3g__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJJ6WELAPEP47UKWQ

also it sounds like a very gentle "pops and bangs" map when I'm off throttle, no backfires at all but very unsmooth note.
It seems to be strong after 5K, but nothing crazy like second gear wheelspin ... My tires are absolutely done, grips worse than Chinese tires (waiting to get a specific tire in stock), and no wheels spin even in first on crappy roads (ESP off) unless I drop the clutch.