ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Im torn! you need some advice...

Arctic blue 182ff
as i have no idea how to operate a DSLR im going to buy a budget one e.g

Nikon D40 - Heard its a good start...

or:

Sony A200 - know nothing about this but is same price @ £300

what is your advice??

Jack

Oil Burner
Sony

Excellent camera's if i was buying my kit over again (i shoot canon) i would buy sony.

The 200 body is a good body, certainly i would rate it higher than the nikon.

Sony lenses are expensive, however minolta lenses can be found cheaper, and sigma offer sony/minolta fit, so a good range of aftermarket lenses, which is what put me off sony a year ago.

I shoot an sony A700 as my second camera at events. The built in stabilisation is a winner. Very good, and there are a handful of features which just make sense.

For £300 its a no brainer.

SLK 350
I've owned both:

Nikon D40:
Body feels much nicer, more comfortable IMO to hold. No IS meaning unless you're using a tripod and fast glass that dusk/night shots are near on impossible. Expensive lenses due to no focus motor in the body, limits choice of lenses substancially. No Prime lenses available with AF-S. The kit 18-55 lens is a cracker though, can take some really good photos with it. Nikon doing £30 cashback if you're quick.

Sony A200:

Feels bigger and cheaper in the hand than the D40, but comes with IS (superb) and a larger screen as standard. Lack of flash assist light is a pain in the arse at times. Slightly longer zoom on the kit lens 18-70 although I don't think it's as sharp as the Nikon kit. Also uses CF cards which I'm not as keen on. Shoots nice and it's got 11 focus points instead of the 3 found on the D40. Any Maxxum/Dynax Minolta A-mount lens will fit it so there's a good selection of second hand glass on eBay for cheapo prices.

Personally I prefer the look and feel of the Nikon, with the features and ability of the Sony. Just don't be fooled into thinking the extra 4MP will result in instantly better photographs.

D40, other halfs sister has the sony and I found the D40 easier to use, better pics and in general better all round!

But its about what you prefer! Go try them both and decide from there!!!

Yeah go and try both, get a feel for them both. Find out how easy they both are to operate, very important if your a beginner

I've got a Sony A100, and find it great - easy to use (my first DSLR). I am currently having a bit of trouble finding a wide angle lens though - there only seems to be the Sigma 10-20 at a reasonable price. Anyone got any other suggestions?

911 carrera 2, Yamaha R6
I've got the D40 and found it a great bit of kit. but like The Hoff said you're really limited on the lenses.
It's a great camera to begin with and learn the basics but you will want to upgrade quickly

No Prime lenses available with AF-S

Not true!!!

Sigma 30mm f1.4 Prime lens with HSM ;)

img0174cv2.jpg

And sigma now do a 50mm Prime with HSM (bit pricey, but initial reviews are saying its quality is one of the best)

The Nikon 50mm is indeed manual focus, but still meters in all modes on the D40, many people prefer a bit of MF!!

Overall the D40 lens limiting thing is not an issue IMO.

There is a huge amount of Sigma, Nikon and Tamron lenses that now have built in motors, which in general gives you faster auto focusing. I think that you can nearly cover eveything you need with lenses available. Wide angle, prime lenses, up to 300mm with VR

Old lenses will work with manual focus in manual mode.

And I have no intention of upgrading! It takes such great pictures with the right glass in front of it.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
"No IS meaning unless you're using a tripod and fast glass that dusk/night shots are near on impossible."

Complete rubbish

SLK 350
I'm no D.Bailey but taking shots with the A200 at night in the city (i.e bright lights) is easier than I found it with the D40. Most of the D40 shots I took in Oslo meant bracing myself or lying the camera down, with the Sony taking freestanding shots is possible.

SLK 350
Yeah I understand that, but the kit lens doesn't have VR. Personally the last thing I wanted to do was buy a 18-55 VR lens after shelling out for a camera as a beginner, the only other lens I got was the 55-200VR which was a good lens.

Thankfully now I can use £50 Minolta lens off eBay, which as purely amateur interest/hobby suits my spend a lot better than £150-250 AF-S Nikkor jobs.

Oil Burner
couldnt agree with your last post more (pro sony here) but wont agree regarding the long exposure/night shots thing. Most people would just use a tripod. Even IS cant make up for a tripod.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Of course the Sony will be easier to take night shots with, but your quote of "near on impossible" with the D40 is still garbage.

IS/VR/OS etc is for camera shake... it will help at night time but will never give a shot that you would get using a tripod!

Especially with longer shutter speeds, where the camera needs to be still for up to 30 seconds... IS is not going to help you in that situation!

Arctic blue 182ff
right i bought my D40 earlier, its great.

with regards to all nights shots.... get a tripod iv ordered one from 7dayshop which was under a tenner! slow shutter speed ftw