ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac 27... Prospective owner questions

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
There's loads of 2011 machines knocking about of varying specs and coming from a PC background I know very little so I'm after some opinions.

Firstly, new vs used:

Is there anything to look out for with these to avoid buying a used lemon other than damaged casings and dead pixels? (Not that pixels should be an issue on an '11 panel).

Spec: 2.7 i5

Obviously more RAM is better but is this also true with the GFX ram on these? I know you can't simply swap out the graphics on Mac as its part of the logic board but is 512Mb enough for general use or should I go for a min of 1Gb? I'm going to be using photoshop, Lightroom, SolidWorks and some accounting software that I already use under windows (they make a native Mac version to and will transfer my license FOC).

Sorry for the stupid newb questions but I am a completely new to the Mac way of life and hardware.

Mick

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'd want one with thunderbolt.

Would last a lot longer, because it allows things like USB3 to be retrofitted.
Ram is irrelevant, because its easy to retrofit.

Graphics could be an important factor, its part of the logic board so cannot be upgraded, have a look at system requirements for the software you are using.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac

Thats the place to get what you need. (when its back up)

2.7 i5 will be fine.

512MB. Not so much. I have 2GB in mine and I keep meaning to upgrade it. But you can get it from Crucial for not a lot of money. So what it comes with isn't a big deal really.

And when you say used, where do you mean? It's a lot of money and potentially expensive if it were to go wrong, so I'd either want one with AppleCare or get a refurb one from Apple that'll have a years warranty.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Do it. They're awesome.

Go for a full-fat one though. Might as well for the difference in price.

Mine's i7/1GB VRAM/1TB HDD/16GB RAM.

<3 it.

Ordered the extra RAM from Crucial. Don't spec it in the Apple build.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've got a friend that works for white square, they're a premium seller and he's spec'd pretty much that for me to. Just waiting on a price though but he said it'll be on a friends and family discount (bet it's still £1600)

Mick

He's not buying new and the new update isn't going to be major (won't be retina yet) so there's no real reason to wait.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm with Dan on this, and its not like the standard IPS displays are terrible.

I've got my eye on a 1yr old i5 machine with x2 Thunderbolts which he's asking £1300 for with 12Gb ram and 1Gb video but I've not ruled out new just yet. My nearest Apple store have just quoted £1649 for a new i7, 4Gb ram and a 2Gb Video with the 1Tb drive... £300 more gets a years warranty and another £150 buys 3yr AppleCare to so is serious food for thought.

They've also said they will try and match the friends and family discount providing I get it in writing.

Mick

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh mick I'm so disappointed in you!

You were so strong for so long, all it took was an iPhone (that you secretly love) and you've been engrossed in a world made of half eaten apples!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I knew you'd come here and shake that "I told you so" stick. How's your Omex? LoLz

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Decided to go new... £1350 used vs £1560 new is not a gamble I'm willing to take for such a pricey purchase.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
DaFuq!??

So why can't they just give that in the dirt place then? Brand integrity BS gets my goat at times.

Just got an i7 from that link with the 2Gb VRam and still came in cheaper!

Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've gone for the 3.1 i7 and will bump it to 12-16Gb RAM when I get it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Not really as the new graphics card is half as good as the current ones.

Also, why do you need such a thin display for a desktop? And you'll have to buy a USB superdrive if you wanna use cd/dvds. So the all in one isnt really an all in one.

I really like the look of the new one though. Would buy one if I didnt already have a 27" badboy tbh.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Glad I bought my 27" at the start of the year now as I don't like the lack of a cd drive and the sd card slot on the back.

An orange one
Glad I bought my 27" at the start of the year now as I don't like the lack of a cd drive and the sd card slot on the back.

Im gonna be getting one at some point but would also prefer cd drive etc... Can't see the attraction of being so thin when it loses functionality

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
So how does the education discount link posted a few posts back work? Do you not need to be on college/university internet when ordering?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I went in store for mine, full fat 27" and they never even asked for student ID.

At the time I was at uni, but they didn't know that

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Im gonna be getting one at some point but would also prefer cd drive etc... Can't see the attraction of being so thin when it loses functionality

Yes, it's useful to have even if it doesn't get used very often.

So how does the education discount link posted a few posts back work? Do you not need to be on college/university internet when ordering?

Yes, I've used it.

133/225/CLS AMG
As much as the new iMac has been slimmed down the lack of optical drive seems to be a bit of a weird decision. Yes it looks stunning but the previous model wasn't exactly ugly or bulky!!

It's an all in one computer that is now not all in one if you want to use CD/DVDs. Apple need to strike that balance with style and features so where the new iMac is a great looking bit of kit, making it this thin seems a bit too much of a compromise.

Audi S1
I think I'm going to sell my iMac 27'. I don't use it since I've got the iPad. I use it more as a TV than anything else!

I don't know if Mac2Sell have updated there prices yet!