ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac or PC?

Dirty E91
I work with Mac and PCs and they are as good and as bad as each other, I seen Macs crash before (oh my god!) but like PCs it's not down to the OS it the apps and hardware drivers that cause them, I can't remember the last time my PC crashed.

Even hardened pros using Macs everyday admit they aren't perfect, just seems to be "home" users who believe the hype about there little box being so so special.

Oh and Macs can't get infected with virus? Rubbish, pure and simple, if you run the dominant OS you will attract the majority of hackers and their annoying little programs.

As for upgrading, why upgrade when Apple can sell you a new one for £xxx? I'm still amazed that Apple went with the conventional Intel PC architecture.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
This Mac/PC debate sucks big floppy donkey d!ck.

I've got an MBP 13 and a HP laptop and they're both great in their own right.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
LMFAO! Are you high sir?

Congratulations for making yourself look uneducated! Prepare for rapage, and here's mine.

A - A PC will crash of its own accord, doesn't need p**n or "free anti virus" to do that for it. Raising another point, no viruses on macs!

B- this is the most piss poor un-educated dribble i have heard in a long time. The reason you pay so much for a mac is that it lasts. You don't have to keep bringing it back to upgrade?

My 10 year old power mac has a dual core 500Mhz proccessor and 512mb of ram. Yet it runs OSX Tiger and a s**t load of software no problems! It's never had an upgrade in its life!

Please, please, PLEASE tell me that you are having a joke on our behalf? :S

Of course. Corporations such as Sophos and Mcafee spend millions each year on the pointless exercise of releasing AV products for the Macs because of what? They are bored? They have nothing else to do? Or that they don't want to feel left out? Should I just have a quick check of those two in particular?:-

http://www.mcafee.com/uk/enterprise...rated_suites/endpoint_protection_for_mac.html

http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/57922.html

When conservative estimates put the PC platform in the office environment at around 80%, surely the simple concept of 'odds' raises the point that there will be far more viruses on a PC than a Mac? Ever. The dicks that write the viruses in the first place will target PCs, simply because there are bloody more of them!

Of course, with such borderline delusional statements as 'no viruses on Macs' - maybe the said virus writers should make easy pickings and target Macs instead?

And you had the cheek to called the other poster 'uneducated'? :S Dear, oh dear....

D.

Punto/Clio GTT
ive had my pc for 2 years now and its not broken once. no blue screens that people speak of.

aslong as you know how to look after your pc and dont install s**tloads of rubbish theyre fine.

98% of windows problems are down to user error

What can a PC do that a Mac cant?.....oh yeah, a PC can get a virus.

Gutted : (

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Apple-Virus-iWork-Pirate,news-3343.html

Macs can also get a virus its just that they arent targeted as its only a tiny percentage of the marketshare.

http://www.macworld.com/article/132733/2008/03/hack.html

That article also pisses over the "Macs can't be hacked and don't get viruses" theory.

Also if people are suggesting that PC's are slow then try installing a bog standard version of XP on a PC without all the manufacturer crap included and see it blow your average MacBook into next week in terms of speed.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Its a lot easier to pick up a virus on a PC. tbh. Not that i get them on either of my machines.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Ok Jason, lets break this down

A - A PC will crash of its own accord, doesn't need p**n or "free anti virus" to do that for it. Raising another point, no viruses on macs!
Its a lot easier to pick up a virus on a PC.
No it wont. I have ran a Windows XP install for 3 years without any anti virus. It got regualr use; web browsing, gaming, graphic design etc. Not only did I not get any viruses, but I never had a crash. Not an OS crash anyway. And as has been pointed out, Macs get viruses. The reason they didnt use to is because no bad people were writing them for Macs.

B- this is the most piss poor un-educated dribble i have heard in a long time. The reason you pay so much for a mac is that it lasts. You don't have to keep bringing it back to upgrade?
Ok, so say your Mac lasts a year long? So what? You still have to pay rediculous prices to upgrade it, uncluding installation charges.

My 10 year old power mac has a dual core 500Mhz proccessor and 512mb of ram. Yet it runs OSX Tiger and a s**t load of software no problems! It's never had an upgrade in its life!
Wow! And my old laptop that runs Windows XP that has a Pentium 3 processor and 512mb of ram still runs Adobe Illustrator CS3, Firefox and MSN simultaniously.

Every mac is optimised to Run OSX, the problem with windows is its universalism. It has to work on any machine you throw it at. Brilliant, but it causes issues. You could run OSX on a PC, its just not stable.
So what is optimised about them? The Intel processor? Or how it only runs on a motherboard with a certain chip in it? Sorry, but Im sure compatability is a good thing, not a bad thing. And thats what Windows is, compatable. Now I'm saying "Windows is great! Blahh blahh", because thats not what I think. Im not argueing that the Mac OS is bad because I dont think it is! I dont personally like it, I think you sacrifice alot just for the looks. And besiders, I'm a gamer, so I'll always need Windows.

I built my PC thanks very much and YES it can do other things than gaming I'm just saying I ONLY use it for games because my mac does everything else better. 4gb of ram and a 2.6GHz dual proccessor + Running XP means it runs fairly smooth, but still my Mac just does it all better. Far better.
Well why dont you just run games on your Mac then? You said its running Windows, so it should be fine for games.

As I said, my arguement isnt about the Mac OS, its about the Mac system. The hardware is so overly priced. You are essentially paying for a name, not a computer.

Tangoed Works
I have to say if you get a decent PC I cannot see it being any better / worse than a I MAC (cost aside).

I recently sold my 6 year old Sony Vaio which ran faultlessly for that time for £150 notes for the tower alone only cause the missus now needs an IMac for work (media, editing etc).

I am looking forward to getting it as the user friendlyness of a MAC is excellent. I still love my Laptop which I use mainly for business and this has also been faultless.

Just buy the best and run virus scans regularly and you wont generally tend to have problems. Thats my experience anyway.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Depends what you want it for tbh, i have an laptop and an imac.

For all my media work etc i use the imace (editing etc) for word and stuff like that i still use my laptop.

So tbh get whatever suits what you want it for.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
LMFAO! Are you high sir?

Congratulations for making yourself look uneducated! Prepare for rapage, and here's mine.

I built my PC thanks very much and YES it can do other things than gaming I'm just saying I ONLY use it for games because my mac does everything else better. 4gb of ram and a 2.6GHz dual proccessor + Running XP means it runs fairly smooth, but still my Mac just does it all better. Far better.

Wont XP only recognise 3gb of Ram?

But if mum is paying then feel free to whack an extra one in for good measure ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Please, please, PLEASE tell me that you are having a joke on our behalf? :S

Of course. Corporations such as Sophos and Mcafee spend millions each year on the pointless exercise of releasing AV products for the Macs because of what? They are bored? They have nothing else to do? Or that they don't want to feel left out? Should I just have a quick check of those two in particular?:-

http://www.mcafee.com/uk/enterprise...rated_suites/endpoint_protection_for_mac.html

http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/57922.html

Yes, I think you should have taken a quick check on those products you mentioned.

Here's the sophos information about the mac product:

http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/endpoint/security-and-control/mac/

Sophos said:
Detect and clean-up Windows viruses hidden on Macs with award-winning virus protection

Lol, so the whole point of sophos for Mac is to stop you passing on files to windows users which contain windows viruses.

The mcafee product glibly mentions viruses (but with no detail or depth) but then goes on about (in great detail and depth) firewalls and such like.

Wont XP only recognise 3gb of Ram?

But if mum is paying then feel free to whack an extra one in for good measure ;)

nope it will use upto 3.25GB in xp32 in xp64 its 16 exabytes

but thats not a fault of xp its just a limitation of 32 bit addressing

Yes, I think you should have taken a quick check on those products you mentioned.

Here's the sophos information about the mac product:

http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/endpoint/security-and-control/mac/

Lol, so the whole point of sophos for Mac is to stop you passing on files to windows users which contain windows viruses.

The mcafee product glibly mentions viruses (but with no detail or depth) but then goes on about (in great detail and depth) firewalls and such like.
there are a number of mac viruses there has been for years but they arnt well known and hardly anyone ever gets them

do macs still use the bomb animation when it crashes lol

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
there are a number of mac viruses there has been for years but they arnt well known and hardly anyone ever gets them

do macs still use the bomb animation when it crashes lol

I didn't say there wasn't, I was tickled by the posters comments (and links) when he clearly hadn't even read what the products actually did.

Kernel panics give a greyed out screen saying that something bad has happened, I've not seen one in years, probably puma was the last time I saw one and that was only because I was doing kernel mode driver development.

best of both worlds ;)

Packing Intel's Core 2 Quad Q9550s (2.93GHz), an Nvidia GeForce 9800GT card, 8GB of RAM, a 16GB SSD, and four traditional hard drives (one each to boot Windows 7 and OS X, and two 500GB 7,200rpm drives in a RAID0 array for video editing), Engadget cites Will as saying his total parts cost was under $1,500 for a system that amounts to a $4,500 Mac Pro
[YOUTUBE]TggHtINGIyc[/YOUTUBE]