ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Imac slow an start up.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I have a 2010 intel imac and it takes a minute longer to start up. I have repaired disk permissions and made sure 1/4 of my hard drive is empty and it also has 12gb ram. Is there anything else i can do to speed it up?

I can replace my optical drive with a SSD but it requires me to take my Mac apart which im not too keen on doing.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
If I'm doing a clean install, do I need the discs it came with or can Ido it with time machine?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I found out I can reinstall lion via a menu. But if I'm restoring my data is it best to use Time Machine or Another programme like Carbon copy cloner?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What are you trying to achieve?

You wont make it start up any faster by doing a re-install. (Well it might, but it would be marginal - a few seconds at best)
What you need to do is figure out what is causing it to take forever to start up. I suspect its 3 year old hardware in combination with an untidy machine.

I'd take a look at what programs are in the login items in users and groups, verify and repair the disk from the recovery discs/software not the disk utility within the OS then run a maintenance program; Onyx and Clean my mac are both good.

Personally i'd do this in conjunction with sleep mode, there's no need to do anything else.