ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Imperial - the reviews thread

This thread is here for members of the product test panel to submit reviews, pictures and discuss our new improved wheel cleaner Imperial.

An overview of Imperial and its new improvements:

Neglected alloy wheels with caked on brake dust can be a problem where shampoo just isn’t enough, this is the reason we created Auto Finesse Imperial acid free wheel cleaner in the first place. A powerful blend of cleaning agents and degreasers, Imperial wheel cleaner will start to separate the brake dust and road grime from the wheels on contact.

Although a well established product in our range of car care products, we have made a few tweaks to Imperials formula to make it more effective when cleaning your wheels. The three main changes that we made were; Imperials foaming rate when agitated, its ability to cling for longer and its overall cleaning power, whilst remaining safe on all wheel types, from painted to polished split rims.

Assessing the surface:

Before you start cleaning with the new and improved Imperial formula we recommend that you assess your wheels to help determine the approach you will take. Although this is a small step that is often over looked this could help save you a lot of product when it comes to dilution ratios. Here we are working on a wheel that hasn't been cleaned in a month and has seen a lot of road grime, brake dust, sun and rain from motorway and rural driving. For this wheel we diluted Imperial at the ratio of 1:9 (product:water).

IMG_8647.jpg

Spray and rinse:

With the new and improved Imperial formula we have developed its ability to cling to dirt for longer. This means that for those weekly washes where your wheels aren't too dirty you can perform a touch-less wash.

As soon as you spray the improved Imperial formula onto your wheel you will see Imperial start to separate the contamination that is sitting on the surface, this will also show off its abilities to cling for longer. This longer cling time will intern mean the cleaning and degreasing surfactants in Imperial are held in contact with the dirt & brake dust longer, making them more effective.

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

Once you have allowed the product to dwell on your wheels it’s time to rinse away the dirt and contaminates that were on them. Simply grab a pressure washer or garden hose with a spray attachment and rinse away the dirt. Dependant on how dirty your wheels are this could be the last stage on your wheels. The improved cleaning power and clinging abilities are what makes Imperial perfect for those quick and simple weekly washes.

IMG_8710.jpg

Agitation:

If your wheel needs a little more attention or your car is under going a full detail it may be time to grab your Hog Hair Detailing Brushes to agitate any last grime and dirt away from your wheel.

Here you will see Imperials next improvement, its higher foaming rate.

After much feedback we found that you wanted to see a higher foaming rate from Imperial, and in this new improved formula we believe we have achieved just that. Even after a long dwell time where most wheel cleaners would go flat Imperial will still easily foam up and carry away any dirt or contaminates from your wheels surface.

At this point we used our Hog Hair Brushes and a medium sized wheel woolie to agitate any baked on grime. The Hog Hairs longer bristles came into play, allowing us to access the tighter areas on this particular wheel design.

IMG_8753.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

Don’t forget your tyres:

Although Imperial is regarded as a dedicated alloy wheel cleaner it can also clean your tyres with ease, removing any old tyre dressings and road grime in the process. Simply spray Imperial onto your tyres and agitate any dirt away with a Hog Hair Detailing Brush. Once rinsed away you will be left with a clean base to lay down a tyre dressing such as Satin or Gloss.

The use of Imperial as a wheel and tyre cleaner means that you will not have to lug around two or three products as you will have one that does both jobs.

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

Once both your wheels and tyres are clean and dry you will be left with a spotless wheel.

IMG_8796.jpg

We look forward to seeing your results and hearing your views on our new & improved Imperial formula.

Happy detailing,

The AF team.

Look forward to testing this.

Wheels not been cleaned for a while covered in mud, grime and brake dust.

Cheers Auto Finesse

No worries Martin, we look forward to hearing your results with the new formula!

Joe

Stupidly forgot to get the box from our postroom yesterday - had to wash the car for a wedding this weekend (can't be rolling up in a dirty car!!). Would have been great to use it then, but will wait until next weekend :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
When are you going to take on new testers? I'm dying to be part of the test group and I'm ending up buying most af products anyway so some products to test would be great!

You don't need to be on the test panel to write reviews on the products. Just write one up and put it in the appropriate thread:)

The samples are just that "samples" no full sized stuff just enough to do a good test. And tbf everthing ive tested ive bought.

Hi

This is my Review of the new improved imperial wheel cleaner.

Opened the box to be greeted by a lovely smell of bubblgum thought to myself i could just drink that, then realised it was the air freshener in the bottom of the box. thanks Auto Finesse.

So was given a bottle of the newly improved Imperial the instructions stated you can dilute with water to suit. As the wheels was fairly riffy after a month of not being cleaned, thought i would knock up imo a fairly mildish mix.

When imperial was poured into the spray bottle it was pretty thick and had a weird smell that i can't put my finger on.

DSCF2581_zpsf1920651.gif

This is how much neat product i put in, just under the label on an old CP bottle.

DSCF2582_zpsfd86f674.gif

Diluted it down to near on 500ml

*+-/+-
DSCF2583_zps960fb02b.gif

Filth i was up against

DSCF2584_zpsf763bb8c.jpg

Jet washed loose dirt.

DSCF2585_zps3eb39df5.jpg

gave a decent spray of imperial all over the wheel and left to soak for a minute

DSCF2586_zpsc1b19b49.jpg

Agitated with a stiff brush which helped froff up the solution

DSCF2590_zps004f80a1.jpg

Went over with a smaller brush to get in the nooks and crannies

DSCF2588_zps5c6fb9a6.jpg

Left it to dwell

DSCF2589_zps97d5cfd6.jpg

After 5 mins of sitting Imperial held its own and stayed pretty froffy and clingy (well impressed)

DSCF2592_zpsf27e1939.jpg

Rinsed it all off and gave a shampoo and another rinse, there was no dirt left to shampoo of tbh.

DSCF2587_zps35746ca5.jpg

DSCF2591_zpsd9c6b5bd.jpg

Quick 3 pictures here all done within a couple of minutes.

Dry dirt

DSCF2593_zpsa2c46559.jpg

Spray imperial and agitate

DSCF2594_zpsfe419986.jpg

Rinse and 1 months worth of brake dust and dirt gone

DSCF2595_zpsecd730d9.jpg

Onto the Tyres which i have had a nightmare with this brown edge of dirt and dust that won't shift.

DSCF2596_zpsad3bc9ab.jpg

Again sprayed and agitated imperial and left to soak for a couple of minutes

DSCF2598_zps75bafe5a.jpg

DSCF2597_zps2ce48256.jpg

Rinsed off and the brown mark round the tyre wall has gone.

DSCF2599_zps37f5494b.jpg

Quick wipe over to remove excess water and they have come up like new :D

DSCF2600_zpse7c1ec24.jpg

Applied a thin coat of megs tyre gel then wiped away any overspill. to then be left with very fresh looking tyres and wheels.

Few finished shots(excuse the discs lol) also still wearing the coat of illusion from the previous test.

DSCF2601_zpse0a2cb17.jpg

DSCF2603_zps3a3fbe84.jpg

DSCF2605_zpsce057af3.jpg

DSCF2604_zpsa5687784.jpg

All in all im over the moon with how imperial works really really impressed, i even reckon i could use a weaker solution and would still do a great job.

This is something i shall be getting in the near future to have in my collection and can see a bottle lasting a very long time, One thing i would like to know is it sealant safe? as i plan on tough coating my wheels at some point.

Thanks again to Auto Finesse

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Wheels, pretty much my favourite thing about my car! Got quite a few spokes on the 2118's but I still enjoy cleaning them as they look great when polished up. Usually I just jet wash the dirt off, whack some Iron-X on and polish them up. I basically sought to replace my Iron-X stage with Imperial. Not because they're particularly similar products, but just to see what I could shift from Auto Finesse's finest on it's own. I only had a slither of Citrus left so finished that off and had an empty bottle to play with...

IMG_1200_zps3c846ef4.jpg

My car actually hadn't moved in over two weeks as I've been getting the bus to work whilst recovering from an eye operation, so they were quite nice and mucky! On the paperwork it said you can vary how much you water this one down. I decided to go somewhere in the middle (1:5) as although the car hadn't moved, they weren't that bad before it got parked up! Anyway, this was my starting point including a few lovely cobwebs...

Wheels_zps22c60b04.jpg

I drove off to the jet wash and sprayed most of the s**te off, then applied a thick layer of Imperial to soak in whilst I attacked the bodywork...

Wheels2_zpsf2ce7ff4.jpg

Gave them a going over with a big brush, although I definitely need to invest in a smaller one to get into those nooks and crannies...

Wheels1_zps7953848b.jpg

I worked my way round polishing the bodywork before going back to the wheels...

Wheels3_zpsa3a6653f.jpg

There was still some muck on them so decided to give them another smaller going over with Imperial...

Wheels4_zps07f9d077.jpg

There wasn't much left over the second dosage. I slapped on some polish to finish them off and this is the final result! Quite pleased tbh...

IMG_1230_zpsb03c83ce.jpg

IMG_1228_zpse71f3631.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsd008726d.jpg

IMG_1226_zps0205c68e.jpg

Although my normal method for wheel cleaning is quite simple, Imperial seemed to do a great job and it's just so simple to use I can see it easily working it's way into my cleaning rota! Good job Auto Finesse, and thank you for another brilliant tester :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Auto finesse imperial

I tested this against my current favourite wheel cleaner Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels.

Dirty civic wheels

c38398dc7cdcc262b2eabc60dc8af226_zps551358d8.jpg

8f3d9429a4842295207222f848bb86f7_zps135b0917.jpg

The rears weren't that bad

69e95aae1bd461cb193e6759c2513590_zpsa452d8b7.jpg

The pressure washer took the majority of the muck off, the odd application of tough cost does these a world of good.

73fe94f02ba82b506d6f85d5ce9c74d0_zpsc499ad41.jpg

Stubborn bits on either side, perfect to test imperial against wwhw

e22f4d73b896db89f7e6e7b4bf3a9290_zps2c273a47.jpg

fac5cb62c291f42147070a6c6879db1c_zps6e7e3d3c.jpg

Imperial diluted 1:3 (imperial:water) which I thought was an adequately strong dilution
2ad6765a209933d7770c3f21c4676038_zps5d2c39b0.jpg

Imperial on the right side, took a few pumps to get it to foam up

94e0c1ab709f01f49d96c37f6d9dbd96_zps23189ab4.jpg

Hot wheels on the left side
38087430aec7e1aed4f16a9405c58345_zps14bc59f5.jpg

The first thing you notice is how thick and clingy the hot wheels foam is against imperial
38087430aec7e1aed4f16a9405c58345_zps14bc59f5.jpg

1ca141570ebdbdafd979c7324e1725f0_zps05c2fbe6.jpg

The passenger side was purely imperial
87e5b3a35430b4a670921ad976213c6f_zps508db75a.jpg

Agitated
1713821b977283c5ad328ddb055d5b85_zpsfefc6f8f.jpg

7a3f9f2f0ebf1e2e2f1b2f5664d9d395_zpsf92c4e69.jpg

Hot wheels still clinging a little better/remaining thicker
22ce01616da6357cab516ff1831e4cd4_zps5c8d6ca8.jpg

94464cad79b3cfc32336230c8c798693_zps7b43f4c6.jpg

The purely imperial side
8470e3afc57d21bec87758d7376f62e4_zps5f007037.jpg

And pressure washed off
6d1bc7419abfe7659009ac24641d43e9_zpsfc7d42b1.jpg

Little bits of tar/brake dust remaining
fc7b858ab05d797c9eaf4772410cbb8d_zpsfb21f78a.jpg

Overall though, they both cleaned equally well
8129ed7cd120b8ceec88cb401f297f4d_zps1ebac8e8.jpg

0ca1d9ec14839fede052cc638dbc35ab_zps28ba8cc2.jpg

87ae6ecec8e83adf1d9c7cf7e70da0c0_zps7867e1fa.jpg

20765f577cda92ec0b649186d669b84b_zps5c55cca3.jpg

7257632e28f4d2e23f7f58a8a85543e8_zps89d2c296.jpg

Although I preferred the consistency of hot wheels, they both cleaned as well as each other. Which makes me consider price for the first time in a review.

Hot wheels was £5 for 750ml iirc
Imperial is £8.95(500ml) or £12.95 (1l)

Making hot wheels £6.66 for a litre and imperial £9.72 for 750ml (based on the litre price)

If my maths is correct (correct it if it's wrong!), I think wonder wheels has the edge over imperial. For me anyway.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I knew I'd miss something out while doing maths. :dapprove:

I used approx 166ml (approx a third of the 500ml citrus power bottle) of imperial which means you'll get 6 500ml applications from a litre of imperial if diluted at that strength.

Making imperial more viable.

is that right?

i can't comment on hot wheels being used while diluted as I've not tried it, I can't imagine it's work too well though due to the fallout remover in it and how using it 'neat' got the same results as using imperial diluted

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks again to Auto Finesse for the delivery and chance to test the new formula Imperial acid free intensive alloy wheel cleaner.

I've tried the previous incarnation before, when it was included in my waxybox a good few months back. I remember being impressed at the time as my wheels needed cutting back through the grime to seal back up again. Although in a poor state of repair, my wheels are rarely without protection.

On to the trial and 400 miles of B road blasts and motorway grime from the trip back up North on Thursday night - christening this weekend so prime one to get her cleaned up.

vutesehu.jpg

9umyhy4e.jpg

gusy2uje.jpg

Three tests here as I've found different dilutions work in different conditions.

1:10 for cleaning heavily soiled wheels
1:20 for cleaning light soiling
1:2 for calipers, tyres and it works jolly well on exhausts too!!

Very versatile product which is always useful, and means you don't have to reach for too many bottles or make up too many solutions.

Sprayed on (in the rain, standard NW weather);

8e7umyva.jpg

natygede.jpg

Agitated with my two go to accomplices;

qase6amu.jpg

Yet to try the Auto Finesse hog hair brushes so would be great if they were included at some point ;) (don't ask don't get!!!).

Calipers, tyres, tyre valve, back and front of wheels all agitated at various angles. The other nice thing about this product is that I've used it in hot conditions and it doesn't appear to dry that quickly. Having tested it in wet conditions, it also appears to cling well in 1:10 and 1:2 dilutions. 1:20 not so much but to be expected as it's near as dammit water!!

Jet washed clean;

a3e3uvem.jpg

6a7y6yhy.jpg

eve4yzyz.jpg

So all in all, as blasé as this is, it does what it says on the tin. To be expected from an AF product but not always the case with competitor products. Glad to have a decent supply of it as the v1 was used up on other cars pretty quickly! This one I'll be keeping for myself.

Next test once the weather bucks up next week, the new Essence wax and AF Glaze to be tested on this;

aqydy5em.jpg

Thanks all.

Jamie

Cheers

Just to point out, again; WWHW and Imperial/Bilberry etc are not comparable in my eyes. Imperial is a cleaner, WWHW is a cleaner and contaminant remover. Jack of all trades versus master so to speak.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I find if you dilute hot wheels it dont work very well so overall imperial will stretch a lot further

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
firstly a big thank you to Auto Finesse for another months test, my regulsr wheel cleaner is the tried and tested Bilberry, so the revised formula Imperial was recieved with interest.

i had hoped to use my dads new volvo as the test bed this month, but couldnt get the car, time and dirty wheels at the same time, so the Clios F1's it is. Appologises for the poor condition they are definately in need of a refurb!!

The car has been a little neglected recently so started with a tough test.

DSC_0693.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

I diluted this approx 1:8-9 and gave the wheels a liberal covering.

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

Leaving the Imperial to dwell and get to work, as many others have said this clings well to the wheels and doesnt run straight off, i think a stronger dilution rate would have lead to even more clinging.

After a few minutes i gave the wheels an a good aggitating scrub and rinsed clean.

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

Given the heavy brake dust and road grime on the wheels at the start and without the pressure washer the test was a tough one and pleased to say the wheels came up surprisingly well. As stated the wheels are far from their best condition, the 'grime' in teh after pictures is the wheel and no poor reflection of the product.

il upload a further few images from another car also, but time was against me this month.

overall very pleased with the outcome and Imperial will be on my shopping list for sure.

thank you once again Auto Finesse.

I find if you dilute hot wheels it dont work very well so overall imperial will stretch a lot further

Again, what part doesn't work very well? The contaminant remover part that turns purple or the cleaning ability?

When I tested Iron Out, Iron X, Dragons Breath and WWHW with various dilutions I'd agree the contaminant remover didn't work as well when diluted. But it did work fine up to 1:4 when used on dirty wheels to clean them as a wheel cleaner.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Again, what part doesn't work very well? The contaminant remover part that turns purple or the cleaning ability?

When I tested Iron Out, Iron X, Dragons Breath and WWHW with various dilutions I'd agree the contaminant remover didn't work as well when diluted. But it did work fine up to 1:4 when used on dirty wheels to clean them as a wheel cleaner.
The cleaning ability I suppose although its fine when agitated. I never rated dragons breath, I found myself back with Korrosol

Ill have to try that dilution ratio JD

The cleaning ability I suppose although its fine when agitated. I never rated dragons breath, I found myself back with Korrosol

Ill have to try that dilution ratio JD

I didn't either! IronX followed by IronOut (by the slightest of margins).