ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Import owners please help

Hope some one on here will be able to help :)

Yet another wall to over come on my endless quest for my 3 year warrenty...

I sent off all my docs to Renault UK last week and have just had a call from them...saying that every thing was ok BUT...

the inside page service history book hadnt been stamped and should have been when the car was sold new and so I will have to send the book back to the country that the car came from to get it stamped..I bought the car used and have no idea where to send it.....:confused:

Was just woundering what is stamped in other peoples books???

On top of all this I have scraped the paint off my bumper on a low wall :(

Love the car, but seriously begining to think its just not ment to be...

Lee

BMW M2C

Dam, I was worried that this was going to be an issue. I think its the PDI stamp they are looking for. Ive not got one in my book either.

Its going in for a new seat rails and external temperature guage on Friday. Hope they do that under warranty.

I spoke to Scudetto about this, his book was stamped and he got his warranty.

If you get it sorted can you PM the details please :)

By the way VivJ, does this mean no warranty at all, or just the 1 year?

Good luck.

Lee

Lee

BMW M2C

Ive just spoken to Motorpoint of Derby where I got my car from. I asked if they could get my book stamped by there supplier in Holland. Initially I was told it wouldnt be a problem. The lady I spoke to then consulted with her manager who said it was a no go, and that it would be unlikely Id ever see the book again. I asked for the details of the supplier, but they wont disclose that information!

So it looks like two years only then.

Mine was stamped by the receiving UK supplier, rather than the foreign dealer that sold it, so I guess thats wrong. Doesnt really matter as I only get one year anyway, being a non-EU import and Im sure thats standard, stamp or not as they can look up the sale date.

They are a total pain in the arse about this...

I intend to find out exactly who should stamp it and take it to them in person, even if I have to go to Holland.....dam it..with a stop off in Amsterdam if I have to!

BTW Ive had a quote of £65 plus vat to fix my bumper

Quote: Originally posted by Rod Street on 02 April 2003

By the way VivJ, does this mean no warranty at all, or just the 1 year?

Lee,

you will get 2 years anyway as long as its from the EU, I Have already had warrenty work done including the external temperature guage

Viv

Lee

BMW M2C

Thanks Viv,

Two years is better than nothing I suppose, at least Motorpoint didnt sucker me into buying a crappy warranty from them. They keep it very quiete that EU cars have some from the manufucturer.

I can live with the broken temperature guage, almost, but the seat rattle is killing me. I have to keep finding a passanger as its the only way to stop it.

Im off to Motorpoint on Friday as I have to give my boss a lift there to collect his new 307. Ill find someone there to question about this again.

Mmm, trip to Holland you say.......ROAD TRIP :)

Just got my 3 year warranty through from Renault - though took several weeks. My service book just had a stamp inside the front cover from the supplying dealer and a sticker with the chassis no. on the back cover, I photocopied both and sent in.

Also had the same problem with passenger seat runners rattling - drove me mad but now fixed under warranty.

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine has the chassis number stamp on the back, just not the dealer stamp.

One day of seat rattle left.

VW Potato

Guys - dont despair yet. Check your warranty book for the stamp. My service book is not stamped, but my warranty book is stamped by the dealer in Paris. I copied my warranty stamp and sent that in and Reno granted me the extended warranty.

Hope this helps - good luck,

g

Hmmmmm

I have the same problem, but I may have a solution.

Renaults database is as we know rubbish. They had not idea who sold my car originally, which means that the stamp could theoretically be from any where and it wouldnt matter.

I dont know what one of these stamps looks like but I suspect it isnt very complex. If someone has got the stamp it might be nice if they could scan it and email it to the people who havent, even if it contains the VIN or other salient details, judicial use of Adobe Photoshop could replace these with the correct ones. Renault only ask for a copy of the stamp which could then be printed paired with the correct VIN sticker on the back and sent to Renault. At the end of the day we are only claiming what is legally ours and closing the stupid loophole that Renault are using to wriggle out of warenty work.

ERGO everyone is happy

If anyone would like to stick it to Reanult a bit and would be kind enough to send me a scan of their stamp, I would be happy to see if Renault fall for this little white lie. PM me and I will send you my proper e-mail address

MB

VW Potato

the same thought occurred to me; as you say, if you have an EU import, youre only claiming whats rightfully yours.

g

I have another solution:

My service book contains no info about my car - No inside cover page, dealer stamp, chassis No, nought! I sent in a copy of the service log page which only contains a dealer stamp from the 1st 12K service I had. They accepted this and replied with a letter confirming I now have my 3 year warranty!

I too got mine from Motorpoint who lost the original Service Book and sent me a generic version - hense no vehicle info in the front cover.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Lee

BMW M2C

Nice one Desmondo, that exact same thought crossed my mind, as did mats suggestion.

I was wondering if when it has its first service I could just send a copy of that stamp. After all, they only ask for a stamp to prove its been serviced within the Renault dealer network.

service stamp eh?...maybe I could try that, as its only got another 2000k to go before service is due.

Or If anyone can let me have a copy of theirs, no names mentioned to Ren.........just a thought

hello all, im now in the clio club shall we say! after spending ages looking for a perfect williams ive ended up with a Mk1 172 that i got for a very nice price!!;)

Anyway, enough of the chit chat - Me 172 is also a import that renault UK brought over from france and sold on, however ive just read the forum and im kinda confused, i was under the impression that they only came with 1 years warranty?? im hoping im wrong cos i too have the honours of rattling seat rails, a rattling exhaust heat shield and one of the bearings sounds to be whining like feck! Before i get deep into sorting this out myself i would more than love to let renault do it for me... for free! :D

Any info would be great, also has anyone else who owns a import had a look at the state at which the alarm was fitted by renault UK?? cos if i find the useless **** who fitted mine there in for some abuse, im a electrical engineer and all i can say is i hope who ever did it never comes to me for a job!!!! :mad:

I think the extra warrenty was added from 2002 onwards...

"Or If anyone can let me have a copy of theirs, no names mentioned to Ren.........just a thought" ;) (hint!)

Thanx for the reply, my 172 was registered in march 2001 so its looking like i gotta get me spanners out! :cry:

Hope u get your warranty sorted out vivJ, Also if anyone has any schematical diagrams for the cobra 0411 alarm it would be great to hear from u. Ive contacted cobra directly but i aint heard anything from them yet...

That is a very interesting thread, I only have two years so now read this will ring Renault morrow bout getting 3rd year added. They have been really cool so far as when I got the car my handbooks were all foreign & they sent me UK ones next day. also gotta say my local dealer Darlingtons in Harlow are cracking - they sort every problem out & even give me a courtesy car which they do not have to do on an import.

Squirt is in Monday again about the rattling passenger seat - someone on here said thiers is now fixed - what was it? I have already had new runners but no good. cheers

I don’t get any hassles from my local dealer either, just seems that Ren UK keep on moving the goal posts…every time I sort one problem out, they find another one..oh hum..:( Still love my car tho :)

Hi, sorry to add to this post but wondered how vivJ got on with ya warranty??

I just went through to york 2day to have me warranty work done after "REN UK" had confirmed my 3 years warranty only to get the usual "oh its a import, sorry sir u have no warranty rubbish!" :mad: As it stands renault have been kind enough to pay 60% off my repairs but still doesnt fill me with confidence as a new tensioner bearing is costing me £120 quid (£360 without discount) when me cars only done 18k!!!

Would love to know what would happen if it was one of my big end bearings that had given up the ghost!!

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 19 April 2003

Hi, sorry to add to this post but wondered how vivJ got on with ya warranty??
Still havent had my car serviced yet but intend to get it done in the next few weeks, then I will send it off to Ren and let you know, Im gonna get it serviced at a Ren dealership first time just for the stamp.

Even tho at the Ren place they are nice and friendly, I still get the impression that they put me second to their real customers who bought uk cars.

So once Ive got my stamp (not gonna prevoke Ren with a non Ren stamp even tho they are approved!) Ill then take it to the Rover dealership that my hubby bought his MG from coz they are such nice people and said theyd love (their words!) to service my car :)

BTW.. I had my bumper scratch sorted..looks brand new!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by VivJ on 23 April 2003

So once Ive got my stamp (not gonna prevoke Ren with a non Ren stamp even tho they are approved!) Ill then take it to the Rover dealership that my hubby bought his MG from coz they are such nice people and said theyd love (their words!) to service my car :)
You might not get a choice Im afraid....when I spoke to Renault UK about increasing the warranty on my 172 import from 2 to 3 years, they stipulated that if they extend it, you -have- to have it serviced at Renault....charming!

Thanx for the reply viv, ive sent a nasty letter of to REN UK about what ive been going through - at time of post me cars in me local dealer getting fixed, total cost now about £600 and thank f**k im not paying all of it!!

Seriously not happy, think one of my engine mounts might be loose to after reading some posts 2day:(

Still cant wait to get me ikle beast back on the road tho... how much did ur bumper respray set u back? i too unfortunatly have a scratch that needs fixing from the previous owners lack of care (hope u dont read this dave ;))

Sorry to add to this, probably just a variation on a theme ...

Just got off the phone to Reno .. I called to confirm how long I had left on my warranty. My car was bought from Motorpoint, originally from Holland and I even have the dealer stamp in the service book.

Anyway the guy took my details and told me it only had 1 year which has already expired. I told him I had a copy of the letter Richard Miller gave copies to a few people on the forum, which states that all EU imports after 17 October 2000 would have 3 years warranty, and he said this was wrong and there was nothing I can do. But there are loads on here who appear to have acheived the impossible of getting Reno to confirm the warranty !

What next, any ideas ?

cheers

VW Potato

"states that all EU imports after 17 October 2000 would have 3 years warranty, and he said this was wrong"

Charlie, that isnt wrong - the bloke you spoke to is wrong. How can he think that a letter from Reno UK could be wrong?

g

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 27 April 2003

Thanx for the reply viv, ive sent a nasty letter of to REN UK about what ive been going through - at time of post me cars in me local dealer getting fixed, total cost now about £600 and thank f**k im not paying all of it!!

Seriously not happy, think one of my engine mounts might be loose to after reading some posts 2day:(

Still cant wait to get me ikle beast back on the road tho... how much did ur bumper respray set u back? i too unfortunatly have a scratch that needs fixing from the previous owners lack of care (hope u dont read this dave ;))
If you can find any paint defects on your car .. put it in to get them fixed .. then just mention that there is a scratch on the other side and would they mind fixing that aswell.

Some paint flaked off my car just under the wheel arch .. on the side skirts, and I put it into get fixed, but between the time I booked it and and the time of the repair I damaged the lower part of the front bumper. I asked if they could fix this while it was in getting the skirt resprayed and he said he wouldnt charge for paint just for labour.. £50 which aint bad considering they were deep scractes requiring filler no doubt, absoloutly perfect job though.

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 29 April 2003

"states that all EU imports after 17 October 2000 would have 3 years warranty, and he said this was wrong"

Charlie, that isnt wrong - the bloke you spoke to is wrong. How can he think that a letter from Reno UK could be wrong?

g
my thoughts exactly - he even said hed been and checked with his manager!

so he is definitely wrong then ? how did others go about getting the 3 years confirmed, did you just send the stuff in, or were there a series of phone-calls and debates before they would do it ?

VW Potato

i just sent the stuff in mate. Easy as that.

Except it wasnt.

Sure, I got my warranty no problems, but Reno lost my original log book and my original sales invoice.

Somedays when you phone, you get Laurel, somedays you get Hardy...

g

I was on phone again to REN UK again... once again not getting far for achieveing 3 years warrany but what i did find out is that it makes no diffence if you have warranty or not apparanty:

I have to pay 40% of all repair costs at the moment (REN pay 60%) which renault call "good will" and thats virtually the same to having warranty anyway:cry:

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 April 2003

If you can find any paint defects on your car .. put it in to get them fixed .. then just mention that there is a scratch on the other side and would they mind fixing that aswell.

Some paint flaked off my car just under the wheel arch .. on the side skirts, and I put it into get fixed, but between the time I booked it and and the time of the repair I damaged the lower part of the front bumper. I asked if they could fix this while it was in getting the skirt resprayed and he said he wouldnt charge for paint just for labour.. £50 which aint bad considering they were deep scractes requiring filler no doubt, absoloutly perfect job though.

Thanx for the reply mate but i get the feeling if i go into renault moaning about paint defects ill get more of the - your car isnt under warranty sir so kindly **** off or give us some more ££££££ :mad: