ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Import question (please be gentle)

I have searched and read many threads on the import question. I've just bought a 53 plate 172 from a dealer. If there is no LED beside the gear stick am I to assume that this is an import?

I cant check the logbook as its not back from the DVLA (it had a cherished number when I bought it)

I'm going back to the garage to have another look at the car to check window etchings etc.

The service book and manual was in english (If I remember correctly)

I never knew there was a UK and Imported car to be honest as this is my first Clio.

All that worries me is if its an imported car without the alarm (the dealers advert stated it had an alarm) my insurance will be void.

I would have thought the dealer had HPI'd the car and would have told me if it was an import.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Window etchings and alarm are the usual affairs..

Out of curioisity how do people go on insurance wise with these? I mean if someone hadn't have told me mine was an import I'd have never known - especially as it says NOWHERE on any information I have...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Could always have been fitted with an aftermarket alarm (normally more reliable too!).

I think imports came with no alarm (but still the same cat 2 immobiliser), no locking wheel nuts and no window etching. All paperwork should be in English.

They're not like grey imports, they are UK specs brought into the UK by car supermarkets. They don't have the little bits mentioned above because they were fitted by Renault UK after being shipped here. Only other probs you may have is insurance companies not recognising the reg but they never see this as a problem, as it does happen, just need to give them car details like make, model etc. Also Renault dealers will need VIN numbers to recognise the cars as the reg won't be on their systems.

As above, no window etchings, no alarm and no wheel nuts, doesn't make a price difference now seeing as most of the cars are at least 6 years old. The only thing that you can't sort by yourself either is the window etchings.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I quite like the no etchings - means no odd numbers if you have bad luck and need to replace one.

Mine has an aftermarket cat 1 - must admit I do prefer it! led was installed in the same place as a uk one so all is well :)

Twingo rs133
If u go on dvla's website click on tax your car online then click car enquiry put your reg and make in and it will tell u everything wont say any of the owners stuff just car details. Just cheacked puttin my reg in it tells u everythin and if its a inport

Last edited:
  LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Window etchings and alarm are the usual affairs..

Out of curioisity how do people go on insurance wise with these? I mean if someone hadn't have told me mine was an import I'd have never known - especially as it says NOWHERE on any information I have...
Tried to charge me more when i found out my 172 was a parallel import- decided to get rid- didn't do me any harm!

182 ff
mine is a import and had window etching and alarm so just ring reno uk and they will tell you as, like i did and they didnt even know what my car was lol

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
I have searched and read many threads on the import question. I've just bought a 53 plate 172 from a dealer. If there is no LED beside the gear stick am I to assume that this is an import?

I cant check the logbook as its not back from the DVLA (it had a cherished number when I bought it)

I'm going back to the garage to have another look at the car to check window etchings etc.

The service book and manual was in english (If I remember correctly)

I never knew there was a UK and Imported car to be honest as this is my first Clio.

All that worries me is if its an imported car without the alarm (the dealers advert stated it had an alarm) my insurance will be void.

I would have thought the dealer had HPI'd the car and would have told me if it was an import.

Log book won't tell you its an import.

Best way is your local Dealer.

Does come with a CAT 2 alarm, easily up graded to CAT1.

PS all French cars are imported LOL

Don't let the import put you off the car, just expect it to be worth a little less - for some stupid reasons, I've owned a MK1 import.

Not got a car
There should be an import certificate in the folder with the service book, Mine tells me shipping dates, date registered, who signed it in the country, who made the saftey checks and who put all the stickes on the car ect.

Ill get a pic up

Not got a car
img001.gif

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've never seen one of those and certainly don't have one lol - I bought mine off the woman who bought it new and she never recieved one of those, I have a mountain of paperwork for everything for the car.

Turns out mines seems to be an import. I'm not concerned at all though as the car is a cracker. Spoke to my insurance company about it and it increased the premium by £5 a year so i'm not really out of pocket by much lol