ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Impreza fans...what's this?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I saw it last night, it's immaculate.

Apart from a few red Samco hoses under the bonnet, a Bluetooth headunit, a complete replacement MPH dials cluster, and some different tyres, it is as it left the factory.

He has the original headunit (with a remote control?), original dials, and the tyres it had on when shipped from Japan.

It's done 60k km, and looks like it's done a tenth of that.

Not likely to film it until the Spring next year, from what he said he's going to let me absolutely wring its neck.

"Unless you do you won't really feel what it is, and what it's capable of".

He's done 4k miles in the 10 years he's owned it, plans on owning it for a lot longer, in the boot he has Subaru boxed new genuine discs and pads all round (he said they can be hard to find) for when the current ones need replacing in about 10 years time!

What I learned/understand?

The engine's forged and runs the gentleman's agreement 280PS. He said they tend to put out 300-310 though. Is that correct?

If so, because of the light weight, it's got a power to weight ratio as good as or better than my 360bhp M140i.

With 4WD and a close ratio 'box I'm expecting it to feel pretty good tbh 😁

He's said I can drive it any time. I've declined.

I want the first time I sit in it, ready to go, to be when many cameras are running. So that'll have to wait.

I'm genuinely excited, more than I should be 🤣👍

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_20200708_191932.jpg
IMG_20200708_192125.jpg
IMG_20200708_193341.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
new cars aren’t particularly exciting either. 445bhp A45 went back after 2 months. I literally had more fun driving my old Duratec Focus, no exaggeration.
This! I suppose it's different cars for a different generation. I drove my mates 475hp golf R and it was capable, fast, dull and forgettable, it's the fastest car I've ever driven yet when I tell my little girl stories about driving fast cars, it never crossed my mind.

IMG-20200706-WA0002.jpg

Seeing that getting the cover pulled off is like the first time you seen a wee dirty get her fanny out. Exciting as f**k! Even if the drive isnt all that 😂

However, driven in anger down a wet backroad there is little out there as fast, capable or exciting as an Impreza, modern or old! It just takes more driving skill than today's point and shoot machines.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
These are very special I must say. Subaru did some pretty mad stuff with the Impreza over the years, adding the close ratio box, factory roof vents, intercooler spray etc. They got into a proper arms race to keep the rally cars competitive, adding bits to maximise the performance of even the Group N cars. Pretty committed stuff.

I would definitely have an STI Type RA in my collection, and a 22b. And probably a couple of rally cars :ROFLMAO:

Many modern cars may be objectively better, but an Impreza definitely has something about it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Both cars on 'paper' hit 60 in under 5.
The impreza will feel quicker Imo. Will also feel a lot more special regardless. If you appreciate the older stuff for what they brought. Mad to think all those years ago they still hold their own against modern stuff

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah i have a few of those collected over the years! and this 100% will not be quicker than your M140

The flares are f**king lethal, I’ve got 2 left. Set one off at my last house for a laugh because I wanted to see what they were like. They spit like a mofo and burn so hot they melt (and subsequently burn) the plastic handle and all that’s left are a few small drops of plastic and spark marks all over the patio....

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Also agree regarding speed although I’ve never driven a fast Impreza, the ones that run around 300hp tend to be hot hatch pace. No idea why, maybe a narrow power band or terrible drivetrain losses?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Both cars on 'paper' hit 60 in under 5.
The impreza will feel quicker Imo. Will also feel a lot more special regardless. If you appreciate the older stuff for what they brought. Mad to think all those years ago they still hold their own against modern stuff

I bet 0-100mph they’re not in the same league.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Oh for sure. Weren't they geared to a top speed of 120 or something

No idea but that doesn’t sound far fetched for a Jap limited edition to me!

I had a Mk1 MX5 R Ltd (as if that’s special, they had a million ’limited’ editions) but it came with a 4.3:1 diff which meant redline in top gear was 124mph. Was quite fun actually in retrospect, you’d want a daily car to be able to do motorways though.

Similar gearing on this Type R....it won’t reach 130 mph. Not a motorway machine by any stretch, but mad fun rowing 3rd to 5th on a B road.

The 112 limit is not gearing but an artificially imposed electronic limiter on JDM cars which can be mapped out or overcome using a KMH to MPH dongle fitted to the clocks.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Gearbox was for motorsport use. At that time, Group N rally cars had to use the OEM gearbox and ratios, hence Subaru doing it to their limited editions, while I think RS Evos have similarly short ratios. They were very committed to the cause compared to the likes of Ford and Lancia.

It will be interesting to see how it compares in terms of straight line performance. Older, less powerful, but lighter, 4WD and geared low. The BMW much better developed because it's younger, more power and I assume a good chunk more torque too, but heavier and only 2WD and geared much longer.

On track, the BMW would eat the Impreza I should imagine. On a damp, bumpy, muddy, leafy B-road, I suspect the BMW would probably struggle to keep up.

Interesting comparison though!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
If the Type R is stock a 140 would demolish it in a straight line. Really doesn’t tell you much of anything, though.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I love Imprezas. The early ones feel really agricultural, they are not refined and you definitely feel a bit like a squishy bit of meat in a particularly brutal machine. However, they go so well for the power (my mate's V4 STI wagon would at 280hp easily pull on a Mk3 Focus RS for example, well until it ran out of gears) and with DCCD or the more rear biased drivetrain they handle so totally differently to most boring haldex-ey FWDS-that-are-sometimes-AWDs, but as the owner said, you need to be pushing them HARD to get the benefit of that rear bias. There are flaws, plenty of them, but that doesn't detract from the experience. You definitely feel like you're driving something special, and you are handsomely rewarded if you wring it's neck.

Btw classics weigh 200 kilos less than bugeye/blobeye/hawkeye cars. 350kg less than the new ones!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I love Imprezas. The early ones feel really agricultural, they are not refined and you definitely feel a bit like a squishy bit of meat in a particularly brutal machine. However, they go so well for the power (my mate's V4 STI wagon would at 280hp easily pull on a Mk3 Focus RS for example, well until it ran out of gears) and with DCCD or the more rear biased drivetrain they handle so totally differently to most boring haldex-ey FWDS-that-are-sometimes-AWDs, but as the owner said, you need to be pushing them HARD to get the benefit of that rear bias. There are flaws, plenty of them, but that doesn't detract from the experience. You definitely feel like you're driving something special, and you are handsomely rewarded if you wring it's neck.

Btw classics weigh 200 kilos less than bugeye/blobeye/hawkeye cars. 350kg less than the new ones!

Most things easily pull on a Mk3 Focus RS though hehehe

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
my skyline's still got its flare nice wee touch i lit one years ago they burn a lot longer than i originally thought they would🙈🙈

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Nice car. Had a few type R’s back in the day... white V3, blue v4 (same as this but newer dash) and a grey V5.

Prices are getting a bit barmy now but try finding a nice one.

I’m keeping hold of my V6 sti (saloon) as long as poss. I got it out last weekend and it’s electric to drive. It’s one of few cars I approve of a decat system on, it totally transforms the car. I’d hazzard if that V3 is stock you’d be a bit underwhelmed just through lack of drama (sound).

My car just has full system, induction and remap and it flies. It’s got to be 330bhp easy, never had it dyno’d but I’ve had a few others done so know roughly what it feels like. Even my stock sti RA made 301bhp on Zen’s dyno. The sti’s rev so high too.

I’d love a V6 sti wagon to go with my saloon (I have a bugeye WRX wagon daily) but they’re hard to find a nice one. Torque gt have one in cashmere yellow but it’s £14k!

I only paid £3500 for my V6 sti and it’s still sub 80k a great example.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
That's another thing I noticed as I opened the door along with the throttle pedal, the red line.

Every turbo car I've had barely exceeds 7k, this thing from way on way back hits almost 8k!

Yep, my sti catches me out after weeks of driving my WRX. I’ll be like whoa this thing flies then look down and I’ve still got an 8krpm redline to explore.

I often see people saying their WRX is as good with xyz mods but really they’re not.

Classics are appreciating for sure, but are still relatively cheap for what they are. Evos are far more pricey these days than Imprezas, for example. If you’re used to paying £3-4k for cars then of course £15k seems like a lot, but £15k doesn’t buy that much these days when comes to ‘90s performance heroes.

You can still pick up a good bug, blob or hawk STi for £10k which is such a bargain - expect to see prices for newage cars rising before long as they get thinner on the ground.

Last edited: