ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Impreza STI VS EVO V

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I should have added more to the OP - was in a rush earlier :eek:

I'm just not a huge fan of the looks on the older Evos, never have been really! The Subaru for me is miles ahead in that department - although that's not really what the cars are about, but it does help. In saying that I saw a lovely looking white 5 outside the gym last week and got talking to the fella that owns it, it's running 530bhp - 2.3 stroker kit.

I'd love to have a proper drive in an Evo and see what the handling fuss is all about as I really wouldn't want to be going any quicker on a B road than a Scooby can doo (;)) tbh!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
On my fourth impreza and owned an evo 7 for twelve months. Given the keys to both I'd take the my current impreza. The evo was quicker but a pita the ass to drive. Paddle clutch ftl :(

Although, I would say mines quicker off the mark.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
What didn't you like about it mate? Shame they don't sound as good.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf it's not I didn't like it, owned for twelve months which is a long time for me. The evo in my opinion is the better car but I prefer the impreza. Running costs are cheaper with the scoob, clutch for the evo for example was a £1k at the time, albeit a few years back. Think I've said this comment before. I support Everton, have done for years. In theory I should support Liverpool as they are the better team. See my analogy ;)

EVO 9 , Clio 172
Evo any day.
We let the scoobies 22b join our sprint series a few years ago, standard scoobies are between 5 and 10 seconds a lap of the standard evo's.
No evo love just plain black and white figures of day today cars with none pro drivers.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Once again, another article facing off an EVO against an inferior model of Impreza...They should of used an RA or Type R

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Once again, another article facing off an EVO against an inferior model of Impreza...They should of used an RA or Type R

Why is it inferior? There was only really one model of EVO then, the GSR. The STI has the same power, quicker 0-60 etc.

I'm firmly in the EVO camp.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Why is it inferior? There was only really one model of EVO then, the GSR. The STI has the same power, quicker 0-60 etc.

I'm firmly in the EVO camp.

Purely down to AYC vs 50/50 split in that model of Impreza. A DCCD equipped Classic Impreza is in a different league in terms of handling over the model used in the video.......For some proper Evo vs Impreza comparison testing using like for like models then youtube has loads, all from Japan.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Purely down to AYC vs 50/50 split in that model of Impreza. A DCCD equipped Classic Impreza is in a different league in terms of handling over the model used in the video.......For some proper Evo vs Impreza comparison testing using like for like models then youtube has loads, all from Japan.

Arguably, an RS based Evo handles better than an AYC equipped one though. Will have a search on YT later.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
It's only ever going to be personal op, but I work with jap vehicles, I've also driven evo's and scoobs on track. I found you tend to get more issues with the scoobies. Head gaskets, shocks, transmissions, sump design etc.

Evos providing they're looked after are pretty solid. The evo also feels better balanced, for the most part faster & arguably better looking. But then the running costs are more.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
There's allways going to be a debate, good ones tbh. I like both as for the money they are both superb cars.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
How many models of Evo 5 are there? I'm assuming the 5 is the best "older" Evo?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Evo 6 IMO of the older ones

100%

Had experience with a GSR fairly standard, and Extreme with plenty more BHP. Extreme was a much much better car, no ABS, no AYC, just diffs and more grip than anything I've ever driven. (on road tyres)

As V's go, I think there were only GSR and RS. IIRC Ralliart UK/Extreme made one into an RS450.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Looking back I should have gone for the 6, but it was similar money to my seven rs2 which was a lot newer

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
It's only ever going to be personal op, but I work with jap vehicles, I've also driven evo's and scoobs on track. I found you tend to get more issues with the scoobies. Head gaskets, shocks, transmissions, sump design etc.

Both cars have their issues, whats wrong with the sump design on the Impreza? The main issue with people talking about Imprezas is the generalisation of the model, not knowing the difference between a lowly poverty spec UK2000 and a say JDM Spec C, when in reality they couldn't be further apart yet people still tar them with the same brush.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Both cars have their issues, whats wrong with the sump design on the Impreza? The main issue with people talking about Imprezas is the generalisation of the model, not knowing the difference between a lowly poverty spec UK2000 and a say JDM Spec C, when in reality they couldn't be further apart yet people still tar them with the same brush.

Poorly designed. Under hard driving the oil runs and runs the pistons dry. Dry sumps are a good mod for this.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Also found they get very hot. I know a fair few people who've over heated them. Although water wetter seems to help this issue a bit.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Poorly designed. Under hard driving the oil runs and runs the pistons dry. Dry sumps are a good mod for this.

Poorly designed? No disrespect but im guessing you've not worked on many ej20's? The only oil issue the ej20 has suffered with is with the oil pump pressure relief valve.

The stock sump has its own kind of baffle, ok not as extreme as fully baffled sump but a DIY conversion is pretty straight forward if you're handy with a sheet of metal and a welder. Yes they can suffer from oil surge under hard cornering although I think you're find the 4g63 is more prone(if not worse) to oil surge than the ej20....I had a lash regulator fitted to my Evo for that sole purpose..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I've never heard of the impreza's having issues with oil apart from what jay has said. Hence why there are so many rebuilds over the years.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Both great cars imo. I've always wanted a VI for the looks alone - the fact that it was a 'relatively' rare car and handled brilliantly, were just multiple cherries on the same cake for me.

No Evo can ever match a Scoob for noise though - and there's something really appealing about an older looking, straight Scooby. I always have a healthy respect for the other side of the camp, so to speak! :)

D.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Both great cars imo. I've always wanted a VI for the looks alone - the fact that it was a 'relatively' rare car and handled brilliantly, were just multiple cherries on the same cake for me.

No Evo can ever match a Scoob for noise though - and there's something really appealing about an older looking, straight Scooby. I always have a healthy respect for the other side of the camp, so to speak! :)

D.

Couldn't agree more... :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I allways wave to either impreza or evo owner although don't see many. Remember years ago it was a sort of taboo subject of waving to the other marque, lol.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
To be fair, i may come across as an Impreza "fanboy" but thats not entirely true.....Its ignorance of the marque that gets me with people just regurgitation stuff they have read on an internet forum or was told by their mates, brothers cousin who knew someone who owned one once.. ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It annoys me when reviewers/media go on about the cheap interior.

It's a bobby basic Jap saloon that been engineered to out-handle and out-perform cars many times more expensive.

It is what it is. Not a Bentley or an S-Class Merc, FFS....!

D.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
^ Indeed, but interiors have come a pretty long way in the last 15 years. Even japanese ones ! :rasp:

Personally, I quite like the minimalistic VI dash.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Poorly designed? No disrespect but im guessing you've not worked on many ej20's? The only oil issue the ej20 has suffered with is with the oil pump pressure relief valve.

The stock sump has its own kind of baffle, ok not as extreme as fully baffled sump but a DIY conversion is pretty straight forward if you're handy with a sheet of metal and a welder. Yes they can suffer from oil surge under hard cornering although I think you're find the 4g63 is more prone(if not worse) to oil surge than the ej20....I had a lash regulator fitted to my Evo for that sole purpose..

Sorry for the late reply. Been flat out. Yep every day with all the 20's. See anything from WRX STi's to the basic non turb GL models. Got the battle scars to show haha.