ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 Cup Owner! Hello!

Clio 172 Cup
Hello everyone,

I'm really excited to be posting on here. I purchased a 172 Cup from @BaileyWolves at the weekend after wanting a nice one for ages. I already love the car and can see why they have such a good following.

Driveway picture
20200607_073003.jpg

A few previously owned cars:

BMW 540i Touring (4.4L V8)
Screenshot_20200502-090058_Photos.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRX Type-RA STI V-Limited (Japanese Import)... the fastest/scariest car I've owned. The Type-RA model is the lightest version coming in at just 1240kg and 280bhp as standard.
P1040105 (1).jpg

Alfa Romea 147 GTA. The famous V6 busson engine. Sounds like a mini-exotic but my god it almost ruined me financially! I got quite unlucky.
IMG_3777.JPEG

Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000. Completely original and unmodified (not many left in this condition). I owned for 2-years, sold it, then a year later bought it back, then sold it to an old boy a couple years later again. I still miss it and I got quite attached to this car. 215bhp as standard but it was great fun and had the sweet spot of enough power but still remaining fun.
15p4j74.jpg

Saab 9-5 Aero estate. Completed the North Coast 500 (Scottish Highlands) in this car. Never missed a beat and was super reliable. My dog loved riding in it.
IMG_1497.jpg

Vauxhall Astra VXR. My first fast car which I bought a few years later after passing my test. Looking back, far too chavvy now for my style.
IMG_0363.JPG

Hoping to see you around on a few meets etc.

Cheers,
Luke

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
Welcome! Nice purchase, looks great! As a fellow 172 Cup owner I love these little cars, enjoy....

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Impressive car history mate. Those Impreza‘s made me a little moist.
And that’s a lovely Cup you’re got there too. Enjoy and Welcome.

I remember your thread on PH on the silver Turbo 2000. Minter.

My car history also includes various Imprezas (including a 1993 v1 RA and a 1999 v5 RA) and an E39 (M5).

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Welcome. We know about the cup, tell more about the alfa, it looks sexual😍.
Not a huge amount to say other than it had an addicting noise but it just felt really fragile to drive. Bit of a heavy car but it had some great mods to improve it's handling such as coilovers and the Q2 LSD. The big repair bill (£4k on engine) tainted my experience unfortunatly and I sold it shortly afterwards at a big loss. It's by far the prettiest car to look at- the alloys are just stunning.

IMG_3964.jpg

59767AA6-031E-46D3-BED0-478AC2C4340D-6809-000005538736D8FB.JPEG

I remember your thread on PH on the silver Turbo 2000. Minter.

My car history also includes various Imprezas (including a 1993 v1 RA and a 1999 v5 RA) and an E39 (M5).
Yep that's the one!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
great history of cars (bar the vxr) love the sti ra, always wanted one, made do with a v3 sti and couple of uk turbo 2000

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Not a huge amount to say other than it had an addicting noise but it just felt really fragile to drive. Bit of a heavy car but it had some great mods to improve it's handling such as coilovers and the Q2 LSD. The big repair bill (£4k on engine) tainted my experience unfortunatly and I sold it shortly afterwards at a big loss. It's by far the prettiest car to look at- the alloys are just stunning.

View attachment 1479141

View attachment 1479142

Yep that's the one!
Yeah a £4k bill would sour any ownership experience! There's a couple of lovely looking pearl white ones on Auto Trader though 😍. Probably a good job my Mrs is spending every penny we have while she's furlough'd or the man maths calculator would be out 🤣.

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Welcome along, and very nice Cup; got yourself a good example there.

Some nice cars you have owned previously too; pick of the bunch is the 147 GTA for me.

I had one about 18 months ago; I documented everything I did to it on this forum (link: https://cliosport.net/threads/ashs-147-gta.825673/)

Really wanted a red one, but at the time I was looking for one, the black one I bought was the best example that came up (imperative to buy based on condition and history on these).

It is one of few cars I regret selling. I would have another in a heartbeat, despite massive running costs (10-12mpg when on the loud pedal!) and the feeling anything could go wrong at any moment (and probably expensive too).

Clio 172 Cup
despite massive running costs (10-12mpg when on the loud pedal!) and the feeling anything could go wrong at any moment (and probably expensive too).
This is exactly how I felt. It just felt fragile to drive but I was glad to tick it off my list. I don't regret selling mine as the running costs and expense ruined the experience for me. All the other notable cars I've owned haven't cost me anything other than the usual servicable items etc.

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
A warm welcome pal, I do have a soft spot for the Impreza, I’ve previously had a Blobeye WRX PPP, Type R and Blobeye Spec C.