ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In car PC ideas

1.6 16v clio priv
Hi guys
Some time ago I read an article on fitting a PC into a car.
This has some great advantages and can be very versatile.
I've been trying to come up with ways to better utilise this both for myself and maybe even to package it into a CarPC kit.

I want the kit to come with some basic functionality in every unit but then be expandable in a modular fashion

I'm aiming for the hardware to be about the size of a bag of Sugar and require only a power input and a monitor output to its head unit to. With optional USB output for addon modules and tethering.

Basic kit would be
The PC itself
A monitor and mouse, with on screen keyboard (Could be touch screen)
Power supply
Audio out and mic
Some basic mountings (although there would obviously be more mounting depending on where you want to put it.)
25 GB of storage , thats 25 GB free after the OS is installed

I'm planning the following from the off with the basic kit.
Media player for up to 25 GB worth of music or films, although I personally have never, nor never intend to watch films in the car
Voice control. I'll be aiming for contactless in the same style as Kinect eg "Clio, play music"
USB tethering to phones for wifi/media on phone, possibly even parrot kit via usb depending on phone
Usual PC basic features like web browser and so on but this will not be what I'm focusing on.

Now as for addons I have the following ideas
  • Bluetooth -£20 , allow bluetooth tethering. This would provide a parrot kit and easy pairing for wifi/media sharing.
  • wifi - £20, allow auto sync to a home media server for sharing content and facilitating automatic updates and sharing with any wifi device in the car, I'm also thinking of using wifi to allow short range voice comms although standard wifi gear will only realistically get 150feet or so
  • cameras- £25 each. Would likely aim for a 4 cam setup to use as parking cameras
  • GPS module - £20, Allowing for sat nav and the same interactive google mapping we get in android smartphones these days
  • Gaming - I'm not thinking Skyrim here, it wouldnt be powerful enough but something basic
I'm also thinking of some way to apply a live map. I dont know much about remapping cars but for any car with an ECU which can easily be updated it would allow you to switch maps for eco/power etc. This might get pricey since I imagine you would need to get an expert to write a map for each profile
I'm also considering a way to activate lights and so on to allow automatic wipers/lights etc. The module to do this though is pricey and it adds a fair bit of complexity to wiring everything in.

I recon I could get a touch screen version of this to replace the existing head unit for £350 all in, with a decent head unit and sound output.
Could get below £300 without touch screen.

So basically this would allow any car to have a media player for all formats, mp3/cd/dvd/mp4 etc, voice control, parrot kit, gps/sat nav, parking sensors/camera for around £500 which I personally dont think is bad. It would also be relatively easy to fit. No more difficult than fitting a new head unit and CD changer.

Do any of you have any ideas on more features which could be added. What have you seen in cars you would like to add to yours. What can your PC do which you would like to do in the car.

I'll be starting this on a test system later this year ready to fit to my car, minus the parking cameras since Clios are easy to park.
Opinions please?

This was supposed to be a short post think I go ta bit carried away

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I have no idea how you will do all this but I wish you the best of luck with it, should be awesome ;)

Although to be honest, I just use an iPod Touch on a GPS mount, does most of those things.

1.6 16v clio priv
I'm a software developer/ system builder so apart from the remap idea it wont be too hard to achieve, although polishing it all and tying it all together will take a while. I want it to be able to have the same level of audio output that decent head units have, although it will lack wattage without an addon module. I dont think an ipods audio quality is that great to be honest. I'm going to regret saying that, lets please avoid that debate.

Just had another idea
wifi could be used to email you a photo of the burglar just as your car is being stolen lol. No more excuses from the plod that they have nothing to go on

1.6 16v clio priv
Just wait for a Rasperry Pi, does everything you need with LOW power consumption!

Funny you should say that. I have several intended uses for the Pi, that I wont get into here, but I think it may be too low spec for my purposes here. I dont think it will provide the necessary audio quality but I will be testing it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Guy I know has dual maps in his Murtaya. Controlled by a rocker switch in the c**kpit, shouldn't be too hard to control that kind of an input with a computer really.

Considered datalogging?

1.6 16v clio priv
Good idea, but what data to log exactly. I suppose an OBD ii reader (£20) bluetooth or serial port would allow a lot of data to be read.

I could also add a g sensor if I can find one to record g forces and trigger start times to do 0-60 runs etc

a quick google found no suitable g sensors but i'm sure they exist