ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In car PC

Bumder With A Buffer

Im after a new head unit, quite like the look of the pioneer AVH range especially the one with touch screen. But im also aware u can get In car PCs?? Are these expensive? touch screens u can get but im no good with computer stuff so need some advice i.e if there worth it price could i make it myself (im an electronics tech so could do most soldering etc).

Nissan Jewk

I saw them install a proper in car pc on pimp my ride. Cant remember the name of it though? DreamStation or something like that, it looked mint! This is no help to you whatsoever, I dont even know why I posted this. Forgive me.

Currently in the process of tryin to install a pc into my car....hopefully found a small enuff mobo to fit into the glove compartment...obviously ventilation is an important factor here...

Still workin how to work a touch screen into the system, just in the middle of coming up with ideas on an interface to run video, mp3s etc...if it doesnt run too well, then ill just use Windows :oops:.

A mate whos studying Motor sport engineering and I, are trying to make a system that will give us stats aswell...maybe RPM counter, Oil Temp etc...but were quite a far away off this.

Watch this space I guess...

Bumder With A Buffer

Quote: Originally posted by Illusion on 04 February 2005

Currently in the process of tryin to install a pc into my car....hopefully found a small enuff mobo to fit into the glove compartment...obviously ventilation is an important factor here...

Still workin how to work a touch screen into the system, just in the middle of coming up with ideas on an interface to run video, mp3s etc...if it doesnt run too well, then ill just use Windows :oops:.

A mate whos studying Motor sport engineering and I, are trying to make a system that will give us stats aswell...maybe RPM counter, Oil Temp etc...but were quite a far away off this.

Watch this space I guess...
Guess u can tap into the cars ecusomehow to get all the water temp etc?? as the ecu would get that already yes??

Bumder With A Buffer

Oh and u want a messgae saying MANIFOLD WARNING in big brite letters like in Fast and Furious!! lol

Yeah the ecu will be probably be the way...

Is just trying to find out the sensors, and using the necessary equipment to connect it to the PC........

and then write the program(s)...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

daz the old mod on here had a pc in his car with divx and sat nav on it... took it out and got rid as he didnt use it enuff...

there are a few companies that do it, some do pcs that fit in din sized slots... i.e where your headunit is, u can also get some in car mp4 players now with a screen ...

You know, ive been thinking bout doing all of this...but then I thought: Why not just put your laptop into the car?

It does all the same things, it comes fully assembled, and all you need is a 12v converter and plug it into the fag lighter - so simple!

Admittedly a touch screen and having a dedicated car pc is a cool idea, but for how much use its going to get, Ive come to the conclusion that its just not worth it...

All IMO

Kot

Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 04 February 2005
daz the old mod on here had a pc in his car with divx and sat nav on it... took it out and got rid as he didnt use it enuff...

Yep. As the screen was a 7" Touchscreen.. and you couldnt get them inbuilt into the dash, it had to sit on top.. which meant I had to move it everytime I left the car - it bugged me, heh.

Bumder With A Buffer

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 05 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 04 February 2005

Yep. As the screen was a 7" Touchscreen.. and you couldnt get them inbuilt into the dash, it had to sit on top.. which meant I had to move it everytime I left the car - it bugged me, heh.
ive seen u can get single din sized motorized touch screens thats what i was thinking of getting.

Quote: Originally posted by richy22 on 05 February 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 05 February 2005Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 04 February 2005 daz the old mod on here had a pc in his car with divx and sat nav on it... took it out and got rid as he didnt use it enuff...
[/QUOTE]

Yep. As the screen was a 7" Touchscreen.. and you couldnt get them inbuilt into the dash, it had to sit on top.. which meant I had to move it everytime I left the car - it bugged me, heh.[/QUOTE]ive seen u can get single din sized motorized touch screens thats what i was thinking of getting.

Are they VGA though? Composite is crap and you cant read the screen.. has to be VGA.

My 7" Touchscreen VGA is in front of me now.. need to sell it, heh.

incarputer.co.uk or .com i think was one link. How about using a mac mini??!! nice and small already!! Main issue is the power supply for a pc I think!! or just use a laptop with the vga port going to a touchscreen like Dazs or from ebay!
or just put an xbox in.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 05 February 2005

Are they VGA though? Composite is crap and you cant read the screen.. has to be VGA.

My 7" Touchscreen VGA is in front of me now.. need to sell it, heh.
What make and model is it Daz?

As for power supply,

Dont get anything apart from an Opus.

It starts computer when you turn ignition on, and shuts it down (or hibernates) when you turn ignition off.. also, if ya running it on ignition and start engine, it doesnt kill the power to the PC.

Not cheap though - I had to import mine from America as it was brand new. Cost about £180 delivered.

It looks like Mini-ITX sell ready made PCs with them in now.. which would be great if they are the same PSU.

My PC was an ITX system - Epia M9000.. worked great. I even used it as my main workstation for a while after I removed it from the car!

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 06 February 2005

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=457http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=457

Mines that one.. but maybe the original version.

Same spec I think, apart from that mine doesnt have the revised connector. They made it stronger on the later ones, but, if its install 24/7, its fine.. (and it was fine for me as I moved the cable with the screen)
You selling her? what sort of money is it?

Ive got one i want to sell. Its a mini pc. Runs of laptop parts so no need for invertors. Trust me too not running it of an invertor is a big plus(unless its an opus but still this method is better). It got a touchscreen and everything needed for gps. I got it of a guy who was trying to market them(i think it failed) and it cost him £750 to build it.

Something went wrong with windows so ive recently reinstalled windows so its a blank canvass. Everything needs reinstalling on it at the moment and i just cant be arsed. All thats currently is on is all the max and paddy series. Its also network ready which means if youve got a wireless network you can park your car outside and transfer files over. Ill put some pics up too

Offers anyone?

Whats included-gps dongle, gps software with postcodes and voice, its got 2 usb slots at the back and included is a 4 way usb adaptor, theres a device to make any usb slot take like a drive(i use it with the dvd drive). Its got an external usb dongle to allow it to connect to a network or the internet.

Its a lilliput screen(regarded as the best for this kind of thing) Its also a touchscreen.

I have a lead to run it through an alpine stereo

Theres also an infrared keyboard which has a mouse built in. You dont really need this as its touchscreen but in my opinion they are worth haveing for speed of inputting text

The computer would come with just xp on it. Youd need to install everything like the gps dongle and the software. I only have the navigation software so bear this in mind. It will be quite a bit of work but worth it as it would then be personal to you. I wouldnt be able to provide any technical support as im not technical.

Only thing you may want to buy is a usb stick. I used this to transfer music on a regular basis. You could use the network but when its like only 1 song you wont be arsed going up stairs booting your comp up then going back downstairs to turn your car comp on.

I dunno what stats the comp has ill have to check it out. It is more then adaqute though and runs quick and smoothly

CAMP is what you want for car stats. Its made by HKS and includes loads of sensors which all cost more money (whole kit will set you back £1000 then you need your carputer too). Its cool. Its the same thing that the skyline has in it (some of them anyay)|

Quote: Originally posted by paddymcc on 06 February 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 06 February 2005http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=457http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=457Mines that one.. but maybe the original version.Same spec I think, apart from that mine doesnt have the revised connector. They made it stronger on the later ones, but, if its install 24/7, its fine.. (and it was fine for me as I moved the cable with the screen)[/QUOTE]You selling her? what sort of money is it?

Make me an offer.

Bumder With A Buffer

Quote: Originally posted by 1.6 16v on 06 February 2005

Whats included-gps dongle, gps software with postcodes and voice, its got 2 usb slots at the back and included is a 4 way usb adaptor, theres a device to make any usb slot take like a drive(i use it with the dvd drive). Its got an external usb dongle to allow it to connect to a network or the internet.

Its a lilliput screen(regarded as the best for this kind of thing) Its also a touchscreen.

I have a lead to run it through an alpine stereo

Theres also an infrared keyboard which has a mouse built in. You dont really need this as its touchscreen but in my opinion they are worth haveing for speed of inputting text

The computer would come with just xp on it. Youd need to install everything like the gps dongle and the software. I only have the navigation software so bear this in mind. It will be quite a bit of work but worth it as it would then be personal to you. I wouldnt be able to provide any technical support as im not technical.

Only thing you may want to buy is a usb stick. I used this to transfer music on a regular basis. You could use the network but when its like only 1 song you wont be arsed going up stairs booting your comp up then going back downstairs to turn your car comp on.

I dunno what stats the comp has ill have to check it out. It is more then adaqute though and runs quick and smoothly

How much would u want for it?