ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction kit question no.278

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
OK, ok, ok - I know its been asked a million times before and i'm bored of reading induction kit threads from doing a search.

From what i've read the only kit that gives you any gains is the maxogen.......

The viper is pants and doesnt make that gooda noise.

K&N 57i makes an awesome sound but drinks power....

Any other non enclosed filter loses power.

Have I got that about right or have I missed anything?

clio 172 exclusive n
are you talking about the one thats over 200 quid fred?? looked at it on ktec it sounded quite good :) i believe it was a closed type not open as well :)

clio 172 exclusive n
i think there are a few viper kits mate from what ive seen anyways, a open type and sealed type i think and stand to be corected on this

they do open vipers for about 100 pounds i believe there new closed type is over 200 pounds and is gen 2 or summin

iam guessing peeps dont like the open air filter as it can suck in hot air easier??? not sure though

anyways iam sure fred will ge back to you he knows hes stuff :)

clio 172 exclusive n
apparently the air box on the ph 1 172 is the best type and can be bought from scrappys for 25 notes if you have a ph1 with a round air box your in luck , iam just gonna upgrade the air feeds to a bigger size ive heard peeps on here saying either 60mm or 70mm , and replace the renault air filter inside the box with a pipercross,itg or k&n :)

only thing is i dont know where to feed them to, iam gonna keep the one behind the passenger arch just make the feed bigger and sum1 recomended the 2nd go behind the slits that are just under the lights which does make sense :) dont know to have the 2nd one going to bottom grill with a horn or behind the slits though grrrhhhh

theres also a thing could an accoustic valve some peeps take off , do a search on this apparently some peeps have reported slight power gains and more of an induction noise apparently it is only there to make noise lower in certain countrys

iam only reporting back what ive read mate :) thanks

i think there are a few viper kits mate from what ive seen anyways, a open type and sealed type i think and stand to be corected on this

the viper is only enclosed,most people get crap gains cos they buy the wrong size for their car,usually too small as its cheaper so they are starved of air

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
f**k knows what to do - I just want a bit more noise without sacrificing power and dont think its worth spending £350+ on the maxogen!

clio 172 exclusive n
bigger air feeds and a new pannel fitter should wrk ok probs be as cheap/cheaper then induction kit

or try accoustic valve

Hill power induction kits os semi-open meaning you get all the lovely sound of an open induction kit while beint shielded from the heat of the engine bay. Is where my money would be spent.

Lionel Richie
excuse my rant, but everyone's a f**king expert on here, how about jog on!

unlike 99% of the forum i've been around for a few years, i've been working on 172/182/V6's for years

back in the day i witnessed a 13bhp gain on a standard 172 (belonging to roamer) with a viper and a remap, the test was done on the same RR

buy want you want, but if you've got nigh on £400 to spend on an air filter you need your head checking

all the gear, no idea, try not to look like a t**t at the next track day eh ;)

I'd recommend the BMC CDA, for the money you get a decent looking enclosed induction with proven power gains. £400 on a maxogen is stupid money.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
i dont understand why people on here have them, they are for chavs who want to make there car sound something its not... its daft

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
How much is the hill power kit?

I paid about £200 cash with clioSport discount too....iirc that includes the silicone bend too....looks goog too;)

Includes 2 cold air feeds, one going down to front grill and other going down side of gearbox to bottom of wheel arch liner.

136.jpg

The viper is pants and doesnt make that gooda noise

13bhp gain with a remap, 4bhp gain without

lol 13bhp is cams gains.

Vipers are pish the filter is too small. I had one and got rid for a maxogen.

excuse my rant, but everyone's a f**king expert on here, how about jog on!

It cracks me up when people spout big gains for small insignificant mods. At the end of the day even if it made a couple of bhp you wouldnt notice the difference. Get one for the sound but you arent going to get miracles no matter what the manufacturers of these products say.

rant over ;)

lol @ this thread. For the amount a filter gives you just get a panel filter for the stock airbox, anything else is an expensive waste of time.

and Fred... I'm disappointed in you mate, 13bhp from an airfilter mapped...!?!? get real!!! The RR operator was clearly pissed, or smacked up to the tits on brown! I've seen some totally useless RR ops in my time, hell I even have a power graph from one that's like looking at owner estimates in a Max Power feature!

Not naming any RR but I went to a Clio day and all the Clio's were making some healthy power and then it came to Rob's car (Flaming Monkey)... it made loads less than Northy's literally the run after, yet on the road the cars were nigh on identical. Rob questions it and low and behold it then makes roughly the same power after some fiddling. Williams making almost 180bhp with breathing mods, Integra DC2's making 220+ with breathing mods... Clio's making 13bhp with a filter mod... sorry, but not a chance in hell... I'm actually going to have to 100% agree with MarkM! That's more than a boosted car would get... simply implausable.

53' 172 Cup
i dont see why a remap with air mods wouldnt give a healthy increase in hp....if its a proper remap with the car being driven at the time not just a cheap reflash or standard map like superchips etc. then of course you can get more power...ur probly sacrificing in other departments but its not that unbelievable.

Before you 2 go off on one have you considered that the original paper OEM filter may have been clogged up badly?

yeah that's a possibility, but wasn't mentioned. If that's the case though then it's not a fair test and results are meaningless.

i dont see why a remap with air mods wouldnt give a healthy increase in hp....if its a proper remap with the car being driven at the time not just a cheap reflash or standard map like superchips etc. then of course you can get more power...ur probly sacrificing in other departments but its not that unbelievable.

so add an exhaust which usually give better gains than a filter and it would be what, 30+bhp up on standard once mapped? lol, no chance, every 172/182 would be over 200bhp with breathing mods then. Cars with aftermarket cams would be 220-230+bhp... sounds like an Ebay advert :rolleyes:

clio 172 exclusive n
jeese man the guy that started this thread only asked for a bit of advice next thing you know theres a full blown arguement going on with people having a go at each other thinking they know best etc

is there any need for it??? every1 seems to think they know everything about these cars and evryone else is wrong -- man if freds seen 13hp gains why not just believe him??? why argue the toss with him??? from the posts ive seen from him id say he knew what he was talking about id say he was pretty much a clio expert ( well nearly fred he he) :)

anyways i think peeps should just chill out a bit if you hate induction kits then fair enough but dont hate the next man or brand them a chav for liking/wanting one thats crazy

rant over

have a good weekend every1

:)

every1 seems to think they know everything about these cars and evryone else is wrong -- man if freds seen 13hp gains why not just believe him??? why argue the toss with him???

I am arguing the toss because I have a 182 with about 4.5ks worth of engine mods that makes approx 15bhp more peak power then standard.

clio 172 exclusive n
just wandering did you have your car rolling roaded before mods?? i hear alot of clios are not actually as there tag states ie
172s push 160-166bhp
182s push around 170-175hp
197s push 185-190bhp
in standard form from factory

so if youre car is pushing 210 horse power then it may have around 35hp gains rather then 15?? just a guess lol

it just annoys me a bit all the arguements on here when some asks for help then it spouts into an arguement, ive read loads of threads on here wanting help, but when you get to the end of the thread theres no conclusion you can come to as its ended up in an argument of "iam right" "no iam right"

you cant deny fred knows his stuff about clios though mate:)

have a good1 mate

4.5k s**t thats alot of money what mods you got, you could get a ktec stealth turbo system for that, or are you turbod up anyways

Last edited:
jeese man the guy that started this thread only asked for a bit of advice next thing you know theres a full blown arguement going on with people having a go at each other thinking they know best etc

is there any need for it??? every1 seems to think they know everything about these cars and evryone else is wrong -- man if freds seen 13hp gains why not just believe him??? why argue the toss with him??? from the posts ive seen from him id say he knew what he was talking about id say he was pretty much a clio expert ( well nearly fred he he) :)

anyways i think peeps should just chill out a bit if you hate induction kits then fair enough but dont hate the next man or brand them a chav for liking/wanting one thats crazy

rant over

have a good weekend every1

who's arguing and having a go at anyone? if by disagreeing with someone is argueing then guilty as charged :rolleyes:

I've had Clio's, modded them, been to countless meets, in countless other cars, both standard and modified and know what these cars are and aren't capable of. I dont dispute the fact he's seen 13bhp on an RR test, I do however dispute that the RR operater knew his arse from his elbow. 13bhp is as likely as my car making 240bhp and 193lbs/ft from cams, Omex and throttle bodies. Now I have a graph to prove this, however the results are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I know this and Fred knows and has commented on it before, so I'm merely surprised at him believing (what to me) a ridiculous increase from the most basic of mods.

There's a possibility that the map on the car was totally unsuitable for some reason (highly unlikely it would be that far out), but anyone expecting 13bhp from those mods will be sorely disappointed. You'll be lucky to see that from an exhaust, filter and remap and would normally need cams in addition.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ive seen the battery covers on ebay are they easy to fit mate???

The easiest thing in the world to fit.......1 bolt...which is supplied. Guy on here sells the covers, he might have em on ebay too.

are them other red tubes sparco cooling hoses???

thanks

The hoses are a 1/2 Samco kit from the same guy selling the battery cover, around the £50 mark iirc.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
just wandering did you have your car rolling roaded before mods?? i hear alot of clios are not actually as there tag states ie
172s push 160-166bhp
182s push around 170-175hp
197s push 185-190bhp
in standard form from factory

I'd agree with this. My 182 "feels" like it is circa 170 bhp. Standard with just under 30 K on it.

53' 172 Cup
so add an exhaust which usually give better gains than a filter and it would be what, 30+bhp up on standard once mapped? lol, no chance, every 172/182 would be over 200bhp with breathing mods then. Cars with aftermarket cams would be 220-230+bhp... sounds like an Ebay advert :rolleyes:

well maybe not a on a clio but yeh its possible - i know of an audi s4 (albeit they are turbocharged) that had new filter, milltek system incl hi flow cats and a remap done on the fly which produced almost 25hp more....no bother with different cam profiles or anything.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
^ on a turbo car yes because the turbos running off the exhaust gasses, so improve the flow with a different exhaust and it will give gains! its also sucking in large amounts of air so improving the intake will also give big gains!

a clio isnt relying as much on exhaust and air flow so only gives slight gains! that is if you actually improve the design over standard!

... we are however on a Clio forum discussing Clio's... which are not big capacity 6 cylinder engines with twin turbo's, which is why I'm saying 13bhp from a filter and remap is a load of nonsense. On a Clio you wont get much of anything from those mods. Someone local to me had a filter, exhaust, AWT inlets and an Rstuning remap on their car. It made little difference, certainly wasn't anything like 13bhp, just made the car nicer to drive.

If people want to believe you will and can get 13bhp from a Viper that's their business, they will however be hugely disappointed when there car is still only as fast as their mates standard 1*2. My advice on filters is they make more noise and make zero difference. When combined with exhaust, cams, remaps etc you may see a few horses, but lets be realistic.