ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ktec induction kit or not....?

2003 Clio 172
So after a couple of months of having a fatty induction set up I upgraded to a ktec kit and finally fitted it yesterday. Whilst it sounds like nice, if I'm honest it doesn't really sound much if any better than the fatty kit. I'm a little bit underwhelmed tbh. I'm also not impressed with the fit, as it's a proper squeeze to get in place and the silicone pipe already has some rub marks and wear (it was pre owned, in decent condition). I've since sold the fatty kit, so I'm considering ditching the Ktec induction kit and going back to a standard airbox with a panel filter. Whilst I really like the noise of the fatty and ktec, they don't really give any extra power and the maintenance is a bit of a PITA, washing, oiling, etc. I'm also not convinced they filter that well as I noticed my throttle body was starting to get a little grubby when I took the pipe off. I really like the look of thr itg kit, but at 400 odd quid it's crazy. I guess there's also the BMC kit too. Has anyone who's ditched the fatty/ktec in favour of a standard box with panel filter regretted it afterwards? ?

@imprezaworks You seem to be the resident expert in this field lol.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Standard box and filter was proven to be the best in one of those old mag fastcar/max power back-to-back RR tests.

2003 Clio 172
Think I'll run with the ktec for now. Have got the standard airbox in the shed so can always revert if I feel the need to.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've had lots.

Current set up is the fatty with a slightly larger metal bend, silicone 90 degree and larger filter (metal end) with silicone joiner. Fits fine tbh.

Its minimal with any and just down to noise, tinkering etc. Im convinced the open kits do suffer in the recent weather and have got a standard airbox with ktec filter to try. Forecast today, rain and 17 degrees lol.

You will miss the noise tbh

2003 Clio 172
I've had lots.

Current set up is the fatty with a slightly larger metal bend, silicone 90 degree and larger filter (metal end) with silicone joiner. Fits fine tbh.

Its minimal with any and just down to noise, tinkering etc. Im convinced the open kits do suffer in the recent weather and have got a standard airbox with ktec filter to try. Forecast today, rain and 17 degrees lol.

You will miss the noise tbh

Yeah, I really love the induction snort.

Been reading through a couple of old threads about the Ktec silicone pipe wearing where it's such a tight fit in the ecu area. Apparently there is also some kind of plastic bracket and bolt underneath it too, but I can't be ars*d taking it off again to check as it was a faff to get on.

I do love that noise though lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yup. Think someone modified it slightly to help but its been around for years.

I'm going to pop the standard airbox on at the weekend. It only came with one plastic pipe. Years ago i'm sure i ran one without either but can't remember?!?.

2003 Clio 172
Yup. Think someone modified it slightly to help but its been around for years.

I'm going to pop the standard airbox on at the weekend. It only came with one plastic pipe. Years ago i'm sure i ran one without either but can't remember?!?.

Do you mean the cold air pipe that attached to the bottom? My standard box is missing the pipe as broke to bits when removing it for the fatty lol.

Pretty sure you can run them without the pipe attached though, probably get a touch more noise?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The ITG carbon box filters come up for sale on here now and again, they always used to be one of the favourites along with the BMC boxes before everyone called a homemade £20 kit a 'fatty' because he made a thread about it with some part numbers. Btw there is no reason not to use the KTR kit and as it uses a single piece of silicon there is less restriction for the air and the silicon should always stay the same shape under load as its reinforced, you could always run a different filter if you really wanted to though? If you don’t decide to change it just make sure your filter is well oiled as I found I didn't oil mine enough (as I think you saw in my thread) and it let a load of dust in, same as any foam filter would I suppose.

In real terms you will probably see little gain using whatever without a map/cams anyway so just use whatever you fancy :)

2003 Clio 172
The ITG carbon box filters come up for sale on here now and again, they always used to be one of the favourites along with the BMC boxes before everyone called a homemade £20 kit a 'fatty' because he made a thread about it with some part numbers. Btw there is no reason not to use the KTR kit and as it uses a single piece of silicon there is less restriction for the air and the silicon should always stay the same shape under load as its reinforced, you could always run a different filter if you really wanted to though? If you don’t decide to change it just make sure your filter is well oiled as I found I didn't oil mine enough (as I think you saw in my thread) and it let a load of dust in, same as any foam filter would I suppose.

In real terms you will probably see little gain using whatever without a map/cams anyway so just use whatever you fancy :)

On reflection I think I will stick with the Ktec for the time being. I think I was maybe expecting it to be a bit louder, but I guess coming from a fatty kit the difference isn't that noticeable as coming straight from standard. Thankfully even though the silicone pipe is used, the filter I fitted is brand new and pre oiled, so no worries there for a while at least ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mines raspy/loud when on the move so you dont really hear the kit, low down you do.

Mines decat and unsilenced.