ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Info needed about drink driving

Alright lads, my mate got done for drink driving and he aint got no insurance and he aint got a full liecence, wot sort of punishment is he looking at? also he was driving my car, as far as the police know we told em i thought he was insured and that? HELP PLEASE

Clio v6

Being in charge of a motor vehicle when unfit through drink or drugs (Discretionary Disqualification. Custodial sentence may apply)
Being in charge of a motor vehicle with alcohol above the prescribed limit (Discretionary Disqualification. Community penalty or Custodial sentence may apply).
Failing to provide specimen for analysis in in charge cases (Discretionary Disqualification. Custodial sentence may apply).

6 - 8
Using, or causing of permitting use of, motor vehicle uninsured and unsecured against third party risks (Discretionary Disqualification).

Plus

No Insurance
6-8 Points
Fine
up to £5,000

No Driving Licence
3-6
Fine
up to £1,000

Dont look good:(

PS I notice the Oholic part in your name ??

thats true he doesnt derserve to but we all do stupid things mate, just some people get away with it thers dont, its not like he is a cocaine dealer

Lionel Richie

i know that you get 6pts for no insurance

6pts for no license

so including the DD youre looking at a good ban 2years????

Again i agree with Pete

i make no apology mate for my opinion. yea we all do stupid things but drink driving + having no licence and no insurance tops the scale of sheer stupidity.

Revels Mum & Sister

I think all drink drivers are mindless w**kers. And you and him are f**king stupid for driving without a licence, no insurance and drunk

What would have happened if he killed someone!

Quote: Originally posted by 1.6Clio3owner on 21 April 2003

Will anything happen to the owner of the car (James) in this situation?
Thats what I was thinking, 6-8 points looking above. :(

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

NO WAY! Owner can plead to the fact that he thought he was insured & had a license, etc. Thats if he gets charged which he wont. James will be fine IMO.

Well i was pissed wen i was in the car, were telling the police i thought he had a liecence and was insured and my mate is doing that story to, i think

sheer stupidity

sums up the whole experience for me and my mate

I thought you can be done for being in a car knowing that the driver is drunk....... I think??! dunno tho. But I must admit and I dont want to cause ripples here but you SHOULD be done! letting a P%SSED mate drive your car, can anybody have a go crack heads etc? :cry:

Biggy

He wasnt drunk as in hammered, just over the limit, i was hammered and i didnt really know wot was going off, i think he had about 3 pints all night, more like the merry rather than drunk, if u get me

Clio v6

DRINK DRIVING

Drink driving law is set out in the Road Traffic Act, 1994 as amended by the Road Traffic Act, 1995. Automatic disqualification applies to all drink driving convictions but the minimum period varies depending on the alcohol levels in individual cases. Details of the disqualification periods are as follows:

OFFENCE

MINIMUM PERIOD

1st offence

2nd offence

1. Blood alcohol level

81 mg - 100 mg

3 months

6 months

101 mg - 150 mg

1 year

2 years

151 mg or more

2 years

4 years

Quote: Originally posted by pete bann on 21 April 2003

i make no apology mate for my opinion. yea we all do stupid things but drink driving + having no licence and no insurance tops the scale of sheer stupidity.

replace stupid things with being a complete c*nt and i think we are in the ballpark, i wouldnt drive a mates car if i wasnt insured to, let alone adding no licence and having a had a few drinks too, complete muppet IMHO

Absolute idiot if you ask me. Deserves everything he gets.... and more. Its people like that, which cost us legal drivers extra in insurence, aswell pose a serious risk to innocent people when drink driving.

Id say an easy 3 year ban..... and if he has been caught before for no license a possible custodial sentence?

Tim

In the case of the owner a mate of mine had the choice of saying he let his mate drive and would get nicked for allowing a pissed person on the road ( i didnt know was not an option btw) or saying his mate just drove the car & get his mate done for theft!!!!! Kinda harsh but what can you say.....Dont let a piss head drive yer motor & also it your responsibility to make sure anyone who drives your car has all the correct documents etc......:cry:

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

If u admit you let him drive youl get fuked. My mate was out and drove home sober one night. Pulled into a layby to have a pi55 and one of the lads in the back who was pi55ed got in the drivers seat. Cops pulled in behind and they both got banned for 2 years....!

my mate got done for exactly the same bout 2 years ago.

he got let off lightly and got a year ban and had 2 do a drink driving rehab course which in doing so took his ban down to 9 months and a fine of £200

i think how badly you get punished depends on where you are if your genuinelly sorry and wether they are using you to set an example

if its a low profile thing like my mate he might be lucky

hope this will teach him a lesson

as far as i go i was pretty hammered and didnt really know wot i was doing, im sticking to the fact i thought he had all the documents and he told me that before he drove, as for letting a drunk person drive my car at the time he didnt seem drunk, my mate has learnt a real lesson from this, lets hope i have to, will let u know wot happends. thanks for all the peoples support

well my mate wouldve been ok but it was wet and he was driving a 2.0l honda prelude (quite old luckily) and tried showing off by overtaking a car down a country road got in a slide had no experience so couldnt get out of it smashed into the car he was overtaking and we ended up in a ditch!total disaster!

lucky it werent my car!for his sake

Only one word, tw*t.

If you were hammered then you might not have known what was going on. But if you did know what was going on ,well your as bad as him.

Paul

look here DTWD boy i wasnt hammered and tried several times to get him to let me drive andf he werent havin none of it theres only so much you can do and it werent my CAR!

so b4 you start havin a pop at me y dont you ask for the facts

tw*t

we all make mistakes, luckily neither of you were hurt, and more to the point, no one else was. Dont suppose you will do it again..........

James, you may get points on your licence & a fine for letting your mate drive the car.......the usual thing that a judge would say is "ignorance is no excuse for the law".....meaning...its your fault, you should have made all the appropriate checks to ensure that your friend was insured & held a full licence before you drove on a public road !!.............a friend of mine lent his car to someone........the friend had an accident & they later discovered that he wasnt covered on either his or the owner of the cars insurance..........the owner of the car got a £200 fine & 3 points on his licence....(and he wasnt even in the car at the time of the accident)....im sorry but i hope you friend gets a long ban & a heafty fine.......one of my mates was killed by a drunk driver !...i have no sympathy for them !:cry:

I was at school with two guys who were involved in dodgy incidents such as these. One guy got a 5 year ban, £3000 fine and 300 hours community service for causing an injury and writing off three cars in a drunken frenzy. Absolute tool. But hes now served 3 years of that ban (was only 17 when it happened), and hes undoubtedly learnt his lesson - if anyone else contemplates driving after any drink he doesnt let them do it and puts them off. Following the incident his family threw him out he house. But he is a decent guy, just made a big mistake.

But the other guy was at a party and pissed, had not passed his test, nor was he insured, and asked my mate if he could go out to his car to get some more beers that he had left stashed there, so the other guy gave him the keys. But instead of just taking the beer, he decided to "borrow" the car (without the owners knowledge), and he ended up rolling it in a ditch! the police breathalysed him and he was over the limit. They took him into the station where he took the second test, and miraculously he passed it (everyone else had seen him drink easily 15-20 units before he took the car). But he still had no licence or insurance. In the end, my mate ended up saying that hed given him permission to take the car and all charges were dropped (even driving without a licence/insurance), all he had to do was pay my mate back for the car he took, and he got 6 points on his provisional.

So the no licence/no insurance bit may not be that serious, but the drink driving will be a ban.

by the looks of things it could go either way

just have to wait and see.......................................................................................

Yeah could go either way, a mate of mine did a similar thing a couple of years ago, was pissed went to his mates car to get his jacket but decided to go for a drive, but smashed the car into a wall. Then he legged it. When the police got him he was still 3 times over the limit, no licence, no insurance, and 16yrs old so too young to drink or drive.

Was taken to court for all of the above plus taking without consent, and causing damage it property. But he got off scott free........

God only knows how, they said something about it being christmas spirit and normally sensible person.?.!.?

and as for what fatherted said

one of my mates was killed by a drunk driver !...i have no sympathy for them !

does this mean if your friend had been killed by someone who was speeding that you wouldnt go a fraction over the speed limit i dont agree wiv wot the bloke did BUT im afraid thats the problem wiv humans we fudge up and make the wrong decisions.

Quote: Originally posted by jamesoholic on 21 April 2003

Alright lads, my mate got done for drink driving and he aint got no insurance and he aint got a full liecence, wot sort of punishment is he looking at? also he was driving my car, as far as the police know we told em i thought he was insured and that? HELP PLEASE
I hope he gets the book thrown at him! Deserves everthing he gets!!!!!!!!:mad:

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 21 April 2003

NO WAY! Owner can plead to the fact that he thought he was insured & had a license, etc. Thats if he gets charged which he wont. James will be fine IMO.
I don tknow if I agree with you mate as its the drivers responsibilty to check the person driving the car has suitable licenses and documentation. I think you will extremely lucky to get away with it.

If you dont believe me then check it with your local Poice Station.