ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Injector Replacement

Clio 172 Ph2
Hi,
Is replacing an injector a relatively easy job on a 172 ?
I've got a really lumpy idle accompanied by a misfire code of cylinder 3, 99% it'll be an injector
DIY job or not ?

Cheers
Paul

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Deffo a DIY job, all you need to do is remove the fuel rail guard with a 10mm socket + small extension bar unscrew the fuel rail , again a 10mm socket , then pull the fuel rail off carefully along with all the injectors. replace the injector and refit - buy some rubber grease to put on the o ring on the injector to aid in inserting it back into the engine. make sure you replace the correct injector as no 3 is counting from right to left.

Clio 172 Ph2
Lovely thanks, I'm told the injector that Euro's list is the correct one ?
I also read something about disconnecting the fuel pump to get pressure out of the system ?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Be careful where you buy it and make sure it is like Franx said. If you get a cheap injector , although it will work the car never starts on first turn of the key and you have to press the accelerator to get it to start.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The easy way to depressurize the fuel system is to take out the 30 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box and crank the engine a few times. You need to use a deep socket to remove the nuts inside the fuel rail guard. Remove the 2, 10mm nuts off the injector rail and spray WD40 or similar penetrating oil on the injector areal and let it soak in before pulling the injectors out. It will leak a tiny bit of petrol. Try and keep it all as clean as you can.

172 Cup
Lovely thanks, I'm told the injector that Euro's list is the correct one ?
I also read something about disconnecting the fuel pump to get pressure out of the system ?
The injectors that Euro stock are the correct ones from the oem manufacturer

Clio 172 Ph2
Thanks for all the replies and just a quick update that may help someone in the future

As said very simple job to replace injectors, I bought one from ECP as had a fault code on cylinder 3, replaced it and idle was better but EML came on soon enough.

Changed the plugs as the next step, again an easy job about 30mins and no need to remove the inlet and all associated pipework, just undo all the bolts and the grey sensor on the right of the plenum and with something to hold the plenum up there's enough room to just tilt it back without straining any cables or pipework.
Plugs on cylinder 1-3 looked ok actually but cylinder 4 was black, the electrodes on two plugs had literally worn away to nothing and when saw then had my money that the new plugs would cure the lumpy idle.....

NO.... no different

So back to ECP and got another 3 injectors injectors order in to collect a couple of hours later (negotiated a price of £30 + the vat).

Long story short, chucked em in, fired it up and like a new car, purrs away sweet as a nut.

So the spray patterns of one or more of the injectors must've been off after 140k miles so a job worth doing.

If you have a lumpy idle, defo worth checking injectors and for £30-40 each worth changing to rule them out.

2020 Merc E450 Coupe
Was £36 the cheapest you could find? I've seen £34.50 on eBay but assume you wanted them ASAP. Genuine all the way, but might aswell try get them as cheap as possible!

Clio 172 Ph2
I saw some on ebay last night for £25, once in ECP the list price was £41 from memory and seeing as they didn't have them then and there I said to the guy I'd leave it. Whilst waiting around for my other bits he casually asked how much I'd seen them for, to which I replied on ebay for £25 and then he said he could do them for £30 +vat. I didn't, but I could've totally made the £25 figure up.

The easy way to depressurize the fuel system is to take out the 30 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box and crank the engine a few times. You need to use a deep socket to remove the nuts inside the fuel rail guard. Remove the 2, 10mm nuts off the injector rail and spray WD40 or similar penetrating oil on the injector areal and let it soak in before pulling the injectors out. It will leak a tiny bit of petrol. Try and keep it all as clean as you can.
Holy thread revival...

Just wanted to pass on my thanks for this - managed to depressurise the fuel system no problem and got the injectors changed fine. Another car that number 3 fuel injector failed. For anyone needing injectors, these seem to be the genuine ones from the seller renparts_ltd on eBay: Renault Sport Clio II 172 182 98-06 2.0 16v IWP042 Genuine Petrol Fuel Injector | eBay