ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing Windows on Ex Work Laptop - Locked

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
a friend has given me an ex work dell E6320 laptop.

popped a SSD in and went to install windows and it comes up with an error saying it cant install on the hard drive. this is a brand spanking new SSD I got today.

anyway, went into the BIOS and its password protected.

so looks like something on the laptop is stopping me from reinstalling windows.

anything I can do?

DCi
You will be able to reset the bios p/w by changing a jumper or something like that

Google will have the answer

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
USB based BIOS flash update, might blow away the password.

Or, ask your mate to ask his IT dept - if it was a legit acquisition.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Just hand it in to the police now, they'll be able to track you once you bypass that BIOS password. Then tyrone is coming to get you.
its not stolen or anything like that, its just a forgotten about laptop used for working at home

DCi
haha yea I didn't really read it... I did see 2 links that said you need to contact dell to verify ownership which made me chuckle as I guess that wont work for you :smiley:

there are some youtube videos but I cant be arsed to watch ill leave that to you... :D

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
well that didn't go well, took about an hour to get laptop completely to bits only to find no jumper :(