ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Advice

Mondeo ST220
Hey.

Basically, a couple of months ago I was visiting a friend and when I came back to my car it had decided it didn't like where it was parked and had rolled into the back of a Civic. I waited around, gave all my details, admitted liability. Told my insurance company etc...

Now I could really do with keeping my no claims. My insurance company told me I can simply reimburse them for the cost of the claim and keep my no claims bonus. Great stuff.

However, this guy has claimed for £1000. My insurance company have paid out and said they won't look into it further because its classed as a low cost claim and I admitter liability which is fair enough.

I know this damage was a new rear bumper at the most. Honda have even told me that it would come pre painted and would cost £170 ex VAT. This guy has claimed hundreds for spraying, hundreds for labour and hundreds for a hire car.

Is there anything I can do to try and take this further?

I'm not disputing liability, just the amount of the claim.

Friends and family have already recommended speaking to ABI but not been able to speak to them yet.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
M8, it's a fcuking piss-take - seriously. No wonder the insurance industry is so fcuked.

I got quotes for this rear-ender that I had in a work car that I posted on here....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=458298

...and they are around the £900 mark for simply replacing a fecking rear bumper?! It's absolutely ridiculous that prices are thrown about like this - seemingly on the proviso that people think 'fcuk that - my insurance can pay for it' Then, in turn, the premiums go up for all involved.

I'm all for body-shops making a decent living. But there's a sensible quote and then there is simply taking the p1ss.

I sympathise with you - I really do. :(

D.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'd have thought it'd be a very rare case in which he or the company fixing it would admit to asking for more money than necessary if that is what they've done and then refunding the insurance company, so you can pay less.

I'd have thought they were happy the guy didn't claim to be sitting in the car at the time and claim for whiplash too! Can't see the amount changing to be honest mate.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have thought it'd be a very rare case in which he or the company fixing it would admit to asking for more money than necessary if that is what they've done and then refunding the insurance company, so you can pay less.

I'd have thought they were happy the guy didn't claim to be sitting in the car at the time and claim for whiplash too! Can't see the amount changing to be honest mate.

That was the first thing they said to me at work. "Are you claiming for whiplash too?" Some looked clearly quite puzzled when I said "Fcuk no. I feel fine."

I despair at times with the way people think. :rolleyes:

D.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Yup, I know someone who has had some tasty payouts this year for what I think was minimal pain. Easy way to get money now days unfortunately, not sure how you can prove against it.

BMW M135I
get his car fixed through yourself and you take it to where you got the quote and keep the bill so he cant ask for more, its only going to take 1/2 a day at the most to fit it if the above is true thats it pre-painted etc.

Mondeo ST220
He's already had the work done.

It's annoying though. I mean I waited around to do the honest thing. I know for a fact it was not £1000 worth of damage. Think I may have to live with it though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
He's already had the work done.

It's annoying though. I mean I waited around to do the honest thing. I know for a fact it was not £1000 worth of damage. Think I may have to live with it though.

Yet you could have done what most people would have done and just driven off. I try my best to be honest and upfront with people, but events like this just make me think. If I was in your situation and I knew the bill was a couple of hundred, then I'd hang about and give all the necessary details. If I knew it was going to be circa £1k, then I would have probably driven off.

A really bad thing to do/think about. But over a trivial accident to which you weren't even at the wheel at the time, being nailed for four-figures is a scandal. Christ, in this day and age, I'm surprised the owner didn't put in a claim for whiplash too - even though he wasn't in the car at the time. :(

The whole industry and procedures that go with it, need a complete revamp. Otherwise, it's just going to worsen.

D.