ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance companies selling you extras?

Every year I get a phone call from Admiral trying to sell me extras I really cant be bothered with;

Salesman "Oh Sir we could offer you hire car cover for just £30ish for a year if you had an accident, it could cost you upto £15 a day if you hired one yourself"
ME " But my documentation said I get courtesy car cover?"
Salesman -I forget what he said but was to the tune of your car is too old to offer a courtesy car.

ME " well I've got a bike I can use, not really that bothered"
Salesman " but what if it rains"
ME thinking - Im not a pussy...
Salesman " we can give you a 25% discount" - Just how much commission are they getting?

Salesman "we could offer you a Vauxhall Corsa 1L"
I was like "WTF erm... so I wouldn't get a like for like?, Im driving a 170bhp hot hatch not a 60bhp shopping car"
Salesman " hahaha yes I agree, its no comparison"

ME " na its alright thanks, ill make do, the insurance costs enough as is it"
Absolutely butt f**ked by insurance companies for premiums once again.

Every bloody year I get the same sales spiel, only to turn them down, when he asked if I had any questions I should have said; "yeah I noticed 'this policy does not cover use on the Nordschielfe' has been added to my documents, which wasn't on there last year when I went?" lol

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Ibiza FR Edition
Yeah made the obligatory phone call to Admiral tonight to get them to match one of their sister companies quote (in this case Elephant). Tried to sell all of it to me as well, to be honest they are so much cheaper than everyone else, and my insurance is less than it was last year when I was driving a 1.2... can't complain!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm having so much faff on with admiral ATM its unreal lol! If they try to sell me anything they can get fucked!

'sir would you like...'
' yes, but I'll have it on the house for the trouble you caused me along with my £250'

Before now I've played the 'im not interested, insurance is extortionate card' to get them to knock half the price off and then get them to call back when I'm not busy for a little extra off :p

I have it.

If your car is written off. That's it. Any courtesy car you have is then returned and you're screwed while you wait for a cheque/find a car/buy a car.

If I crash my car, it's being written off. They aren't going to fix it. So for an extra £30, I get a courtesy car for an extra two weeks. That's far cheaper than it would be to add me to my sisters/parents policy and have to bug them to drive the car.

Not everything is a con.

Thats the cheapest quote I've had, shame I've already renewed.
Looks like 'skyinsurance' may be getting my business next year ;)

As for the hire car cover, its not something I need.
Like I said I've got a bike, and dont really need a car to get about, im still living at home and we have more than 1 vechile each.

Like I said I've got a bike, and dont really need a car to get about, im still living at home and we have more than 1 vechile each.

Yeah. We have a collection of cars too. But if you won't be able to drive them on your policy on a 3rd party basis as your insurance is done. So you'd need to add yourself. That likely comes with a £25 admin fee.

And nothing handles like a hire car.

The chap said I didn't really need it. I convinced him otherwise ;)

Some people just instantly think something is a con. When you look at it logically it's quite a good deal.

I didn't have it on my 106 but my Clio is worth half the money. Any sort of bump and it's just not going to be worth fixing.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Every time I ring up my insurance company they ask me if I want breakdown cover, which I get free with my bank so I always say no. Bit annoying.

Evo 5 RS
Admiral Group are pretty terrible for it. I never hear from Sky to be fair...but the Vauxhalls worth less than my premium so best not add insult to injury n' all that lol.

koi

Audi S1
Yeah Admiral are bad at this, told them I didn't want all the extras when I took out the policy only for them to phone back a couple of weeks later to try and sell me it...ended up just hanging up on them.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Yeah Admiral are bad at this, told them I didn't want all the extras when I took out the policy only for them to phone back a couple of weeks later to try and sell me it...ended up just hanging up on them.

I'm with admiral but they haven't rang me yet.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I got a quote of £1407 from aviva, they then said to me "would you like to add a hire car for an extra £30" i agreed. they then said "ok so can i now take a card payment for £1677"

obviously i told them where to go with that, to which they added the hire car for free :S

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
For £25 (ask them and they will knock 20% off), it's a no brainier for me.

I also pay £25 (again 20% discount), for the additional personal injury cover. If I lose a limb in a crash, then for the sake of £25, it's worth the extra money IMO.

Clio 172 Phase 1
Yea I got offered loads of extras when I joined admiral, funny thing was even with a few things added, the overall price was still cheaper than everyone else!