ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance F*ck Up!

120d M-Sport
Hi guys.

Basically i replaced my PH1 172 with a PH2 last week. On the 1st night i got pulled for speeding lol. But the copper was sound and just said i had no insurance but i told him i did and he let me go with a producer so i thought thats all good!

Received my documents to find that that the broker "its4me" have processed everything right but when the details were passed on to the bigger insurance company "Zurich" this is where they fucked it up. They have misspelt my reg plate by 1 character so instead of "NWU" its "MWU" which comes back as a clio dynamique! The insurance have tried fobbing me off saying that it was my fault and a new quote was issued of £6000! Thing is i only have 2months left on my policy to pay! How can they cancel my policy for something that wasnt my fault?

The manager is going to ring me tomorrow regarding this as when i rang on friday not many staff were in and they were ringing homes to get it sorted as i was driving without insurance not even knowing this! So they covered me until tomorrow when they ring me. Went down police station and was there over an hour because of it but they faxed a notice stating that the mistake was on there half with the reg plate! Which i have kept.

Does that mean they can still fob me off and cancel my policy? This past week alls ive worried about it is this as ive paid a hell of a lot to drive this!

Any help more than appreciated! :approve:

When you called up to do the change of vehicle, they must have checked the engine size etc with you??

Da

Less
I think the onus is usually on you to check the documents etc before agreeing to the policy.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Received my documents to find that that the broker "its4me" have processed everything right but when the details were passed on to the bigger insurance company "Zurich" this is where they f**ked it up. They have misspelt my reg plate by 1 character so instead of "NWU" its "MWU" which comes back as a clio dynamique! The insurance have tried fobbing me off saying that it was my fault and a new quote was issued of £6000! Thing is i only have 2months left on my policy to pay! How can they cancel my policy for something that wasnt my fault?

The manager is going to ring me tomorrow regarding this as when i rang on friday not many staff were in and they were ringing homes to get it sorted as i was driving without insurance not even knowing this! So they covered me until tomorrow when they ring me. Went down police station and was there over an hour because of it but they faxed a notice stating that the mistake was on there half with the reg plate! Which i have kept.

Does that mean they can still fob me off and cancel my policy? This past week alls ive worried about it is this as ive paid a hell of a lot to drive this!

Any help more than appreciated! :approve:

Not your fault then. You gave them details correctly then the intermediarry made a mistake. Cannot see how that's your fault. However, you should have checked the details. Potentially you could end up with no insurance and driving round uninsured and looking at 9 points and a hefty increase in your premium. Probably time for prof help I'd say.

What car did the intermediary agree on the phone with you btw, a dynamique or 172. If it was a dyno then you maybe able to get out of it. If they stated that then they have to take the hit and insure you correctly imo. I'd ask for a recording of the phone conversation.

As above

I work for a broker, and i would have thought it was pretty much impossible to do a quote without her confirming the model, engine size etc etc

If they didnt confirm this then they werent doing there job properly and it will probably go down as there fault and they will have to take the hit, unless she advised all this and you just agreed to everything as you werent listening...and then you will probably take the hit

I have only ever got "sod off" quotes for my 182s from Zurich. So I can well imagine them wanting £6000/year for a 172 and giving a "we want your business quote" when they thought it was a low capacity (1.2/1.4) engine.

I would get back on to your broker - from what you have said, they are the "middlemen" here and the ones who have messed up passing on the details to the insurance companies.

As long as you have informed Zurich of the mistake as soon as you noticed it on the received documents, then you have done nothing wrong, and should receive back ...

( 12 month premium you paid ) x ( 1 - ( ( days covered thus far ) / 365 ) )

... so 10 days at a £500 12 month premium = 500 x ( 1 - ( 10 / 365 ) ) = £486.

Previous years some insurance companies have asked me to sign a copy of the insurance policy and return it to them, to prevent just this sort of thing. They then have proof I have checked and confirmed the details (particularly the reg number). However, the last two years they didn't, even though I was changing insurance company each year - I just assumed this was because the differential between insuring me (at late 20s then into early 30s) on a 182 vs a 1.2/1.4 Clio, coupled with the tiny chance of them making a mistake, wasn't worth the cost of the prepaid envelope and additional printing.

Ask for all the records from both your broker and Zurich. I think they now record all phone calls and they definitely will have computer records. Tell them both, you want to determine exactly who made the mistake. Also, inform them you'll be seeking compensation for the additional time you are spending. Most of the time, that threat, is enough to get companies arses into gear.

You have an added complication of the speeding offence, which will almost certainly increase your premium, with every insurance company - it will only go from "sane quote" to "sod off" quote with some of them (Zurich obviously).

ADDED : I should probably clarify that I never do phone quotes, so that's probably why they have previously sent me copies of the policy to check, sign and return.

Last edited:
  120d M-Sport
Not a great deal you can do until the Manager phones you i would think?

I was thinking this Danny but thought it would be best to check with people on CS as im sure am not the only 1 who's suffered this in the past. Plus the advice comes in handy

When you called up to do the change of vehicle, they must have checked the engine size etc with you??

Indeed Ben Its4me confirmed the car 3 times to me, i even have the paperwork which also come with the insurance certificate showing the make and model. Its Zurich who have messed it up completely. They have all the conversations hence why they admitted it was there fault.

I wont get nothing for the speeding as the copper never noted any of that, just gave me a producer for no insurance :) so i wont be receiving points :D

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I wont get nothing for the speeding as the copper never noted any of that, just gave me a producer for no insurance :) so i wont be receiving points :D

I thought with any form of producer you have to take down your documents. So if you rock up with no valid insurance policy you're a bit f**ked. But it's hard to tell if you have this correct or incorrect from your insurance company. If you don't have one yet you may be in for some fun and games.

From what you've said "its4me" (never heard of them) will have to take the hit and pay the difference in the agreed premium.

120d M-Sport
Not your fault then. You gave them details correctly then the intermediarry made a mistake. Cannot see how that's your fault. However, you should have checked the details.

What car did the intermediary agree on the phone with you btw, a dynamique or 172. If it was a dyno then you maybe able to get out of it. If they stated that then they have to take the hit and insure you correctly imo. I'd ask for a recording of the phone conversation.

Confirmed all details over the phone mate, same night i got pulled so had no paperwork at the time you see. But the lady who dealt with me confirmed my car 3 times as a clio sport 172bhp etc etc!

I would get back on to your broker - from what you have said, they are the "middlemen" here and the ones who have messed up passing on the details to the insurance companies.

As long as you have informed Zurich of the mistake as soon as you noticed it on the received documents, then you have done nothing wrong, and should receive back ...

( 12 month premium you paid ) x ( 1 - ( ( days covered thus far ) / 365 ) )

... so 10 days at a £500 12 month premium = 500 x ( 1 - ( 10 / 365 ) ) = £486.

Previous years some insurance companies have asked me to sign a copy of the insurance policy and return it to them, to prevent just this sort of thing. They then have proof I have checked and confirmed the details (particularly the reg number). However, the last two years they didn't, even though I was changing insurance company each year - I just assumed this was because the differential between insuring me (at late 20s then into early 30s) on a 182 vs a 1.2/1.4 Clio, coupled with the tiny chance of them making a mistake, wasn't worth the cost of the prepaid envelope and additional printing.

Ask for all the records from both your broker and Zurich. I think they now record all phone calls and they definitely will have computer records. Tell them both, you want to determine exactly who made the mistake. Also, inform them you'll be seeking compensation for the additional time you are spending. Most of the time, that threat, is enough to get companies arses into gear.

ADDED : I should probably clarify that I never do phone quotes, so that's probably why they have previously sent me copies of the policy to check, sign and return.

Indeed mate Its4me are the middlemen in all this and have got it all correct as stated, just when all my info was passed on to Zurich they have made the mistake. Shittest insurance company ive ever been with, cant wait to leave them after all this tbh! They never sent any documents to sign and send back, just sent me my insurance certificate etc. All phone calls are recorded so they dont have a leg to stand on tbh i just thought id ask on here as im sure many have insurance problems or like Ben who works for a broker himself!

Cheers for the replies guys, much appreciated :approve:

120d M-Sport
I thought with any form of producer you have to take down your documents. So if you rock up with no valid insurance policy you're a bit f**ked. But it's hard to tell if you have this correct or incorrect from your insurance company. If you don't have one yet you may be in for some fun and games.

From what you've said "its4me" (never heard of them) will have to take the hit and pay the difference in the agreed premium.

Tbh he wasnt interested in the speeding matey, he wrote on the producer "No Ins DB" and police station were very helpful, the cars still not coming up on askmid but i got forms from police station etc saying i can still drive it.

I wont be going with them again i can assure you that :rasp:

Da

Less
I think Jamie means that if you got to the cop shop with your producer, the insurance document you have wont be for your car...

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Da's on the money. Yeah, what I'm saying is when you show them your policy it will have a reg on it. You said that Zurich buggered this up. If Zurich have sent you a cover note/document with the wrong reg on and it doesn't match the producer you're stuffed.

120d M-Sport
Producers all sorted mate, ive been police station and the police rang the insurance who told them it was there mistake so they let me go along with forms of proof as the insurance company faxed temp forms to the police station which i can use if i get pulled :approve: