ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance for multiple cars

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Those of you with 4-5+ cars how are you dealing with insurance?
Especially for cars that are going to sit on the drive for a while getting repaired, don’t get much use etc.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Our house has 3 cars, a van and a motorbike, still all on separate policies. I've looked at multi car policies but it gets complicated when you have different policy end dates and main drivers

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
We current have three cars in our household but usually have four or five. As above I looked into a multi car policy, but the quote I got was higher than the individual policies. Also it all looked complicated in sorting individual no claims out if you ever wanted to split a driver out.

I could be wrong but when I looked I decided it wasn’t for me.

As for a car that’s not driven Ive read that you can get a laid up policy which will be cheaper.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine are all insured separately. Multi car policys never seem to cover exactly what you want, avoid trade unless you have a business, as the value will be low on the car if you need to claim, then they might want vat receipts.

Most good insurers will mirror ncb onto other cars. Both the megs are insured via greenlight, gt turbo is on a classic policy, clio’s are both insured on one policy with elephant. All in all the lot is under £1k.

I wouldnt bother with laid up insurance unless its worth a lot of money, and then might be best off just having a policy running. My mate has a 3 door cosworth, and he used to have the laid up insurance for winter, but now he just has the policy running all year round.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
find an insurance company that mirrors your ncb say you have 10yrs, then at the end of the policy you get proof of no claims for 11yrs, now you have ncb for separate cars/policies that you can use with other companies, that's what I done and now have 3x cars on 3 policies with 15yrs ncb on each.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Thought you could only use a set of NCB on one car.

I have you different sets of NCB, one is over 20 years, the other is 3 years.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
I've got 5 cars on a multicar policy with admiral always get a really good deal at renewal but if i tried to start a new quote with the cars I've got on it then it works out cheaper with separate policies but i have had it for years do maybe that's why.

the rest of the cars i have all have separate policies as its cheaper

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
This is good to know, although greenlight won't insure anyone with a Manchester postcode and the cars won't be modified

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I'm with admiral multi car.

The m235i was astronomical to insure on its own, add in the Abarth & GTi and I was paying a small fortune.

The three car policy from admiral reduced the m235i down so much that I get all 3 for the price of the BMW & Abarth, the Lupo being free.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What I don’t get is if I have to have two sets of NCB, why if I claim on one does it affect the other.
Trying to get quotes for a van and a car at the moment.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
This is good to know, although greenlight won't insure anyone with a Manchester postcode and the cars won't be modified

I can remember you saying that before, wonder why. They insure Teesside, which used to be the car crime capital of the uk at one point :LOL: Also says no Bm’s too

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I can remember you saying that before, wonder why. They insure Teesside, which used to be the car crime capital of the uk at one point :LOL: Also says no Bm’s too

Yup. It's a bit of a joke really. Touch wood, I've never had a car broken into, let alone stolen. I live in a decent area, have 10years no claims.... Just point blank refused to even quote on an M postcode. Yet other insurers are happy to provide cover for a reasonable price.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thread bump..

When mirroring NCB, I guess the main car also has to be with them? Eg. By M135 with Direct Line.. but would another company mirror my ncb - anyone have experience of that scenario?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
When I had two cars insured with Aviva on a multi car policy, the second car was insured using NCB mirroring. I was told after the first year that the NCB would become stand alone after the policy ended, so I'd be able to take it elsewhere the following year.

In terms of cost the year before I did this I paid £550 for a Clio 182. The multi policy was £550 for the same 182 and a MR2 all mods declared, think I got £50 cashback too to bring the cost down further.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
When I had two cars insured with Aviva on a multi car policy, the second car was insured using NCB mirroring. I was told after the first year that the NCB would become stand alone after the policy ended, so I'd be able to take it elsewhere the following year.

In terms of cost the year before I did this I paid £550 for a Clio 182. The multi policy was £550 for the same 182 and a MR2 all mods declared, think I got £50 cashback too to bring the cost down further.

That’s not bad. I’ve just looked and it’s £380 with my NCB for the other car, or £700 with 0 NCB 😭

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Thread bump..

When mirroring NCB, I guess the main car also has to be with them? Eg. By M135 with Direct Line.. but would another company mirror my ncb - anyone have experience of that scenario?

Greenlight mirror my no claims from my main admiral policy