ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

insurance ncb question

koi

Audi S1
May be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway....

Had a wee bump when parking last week so it's now with the insurance. There's a tiny scuff mark on my bumper which I wasn't to bothered about getting fixed just now but as the other car is claiming I might as well get it done.

Question is as the claim is unlikely to cost more than my excess to fix will I still lose my ncb? I'm thinking yes but just wanted to make sure and getting out of hours when I call my insurance.

AK

M240i
You'll have to pay the excess regardless as the other car is getting fixed under your insurance, so yes you will loose it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why you claiming if it's going to cost less than you excess, or was there another car involved?

koi

Audi S1
I wouldn't have claimed as I reckon it will polish out, on mine anyway, but there was another car involved.

Decided to let insurance know as i reckon she would have tried to screw me over if settled privatley, car was a rust bucket lol

Oh well will have to get a cheap runabout come renewal time...

koi

Audi S1
ok another question, could I still do this privately even though the insurance companies have been informed?

AK

M240i
When i crashed, i phoned my insurance ASAP and they told me to get it checked to see how much it was gunna costs before asking them to fix it as if it was lower than my excess then do it privatly.

I think you'd need to get her to withdrawl her claim on your insurance?

koi

Audi S1
When i crashed, i phoned my insurance ASAP and they told me to get it checked to see how much it was gunna costs before asking them to fix it as if it was lower than my excess then do it privatly.

I think you'd need to get her to withdrawl her claim on your insurance?

Can someone confirm that it would be ok to get her to withdraw her claim to settle privately?

Guessing it will be better in the long run rather than lose all my ncb :(

Clio 172 Cup
best bet is to contact the other party and see if she would be happy to settle privately. If she is ask if she can get a quote for the repair - body work can be bloody expensive to repair as I'm sure you know. If it's affordable then call both insurers and advise them you are settling privately and not proceeding with the claim. Simpelz!

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
What worries me is if she decides to settle privately but not tell her insurer...

Get a signed letter or something from the repairer, ie don't pay her pay the garage and get a bill detailing what you've paid for, repair to rear bumper following collision on such a car park etc, or write a small paragraph as ask her to sign, she should do, then offer her a few quid as a thanks

Clio 172 Cup
If you took her insurance details and she agrees to settle privately give her insurers a call and ask to speak to the third party care team. Let them know you have agreed to settle privately and ask them to contact her to confirm if she hasn't been in touch with them already. But I really would speak to her first and see if she happy to do this and also find out how much it's going to cost for the repair.

koi

Audi S1
Cool thanks for the advice guys, have sent her a letter as didn't get her number so will wait and see what she says

AK

M240i
Koi hope you get it sorted, feel free to message any questions etc.

Looked at the mag, which pics were yours?

As said already, get everything in writing if you're going privately and inform your insurance company exactly what is happening. The bodyshop will easily be able to give you an invoice with the reg plate of the car and what work was to be carried out etc. We get it quite a lot at work, just make sure you pay the bodyshop and not her.