ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance policy problem CS advice needed

Ok I would like to see what people opinions are of my current situation, I am not going to name the broker or underwriter as I am still giving them the opportunity to sort it out. Nevertheless I would still like some opinions on where I stand:

Called the broker and got quote for insurance on the 182. I am a full time student and as part of my course I spend 3 days per week working for a community mental health team, my placement provider requires me to show I have business usage on my policy as I visit numerous sites in the area and also have colleagues and clients in my car.

This was explicitly explained to the broker and I requested 4,000 miles for business and 8,000 for personal. I have checked the policy documents and the policy includes use for commuting, but excludes business usage. I spoke the broker who have informed me that as I am not being paid by the placement provider I am covered to carry colleagues, clients, travel from office to office and make home visits under the commuting and personal/pleasure element of my policy.

I asked the broker to provide this in writing, they have since sent a blank letter with no details on it just my name and 'insert details here xxxxxxxx' I presume where the explanation should be.

Firstly I am not convinced that I will be covered for business use/work won't accept the policy as is (policy due to start tomorrow!)
I am pretty annoyed that I had specifically asked for business usage and the quote/policy I received did not include this and I was not made clear at the time.

If anyone has any suggestions of what my next move is please post, so far I have these to do tonight..... complain by letter, cancel during cooling off period....

any help appreciated

Ta Nick

Yeah that is an option, never had a problem with an insurer before so wanted to know if CS had some insider knowledge.

Dont know if anybody can tell you the business aspect but from my limited knowledge surely if you asked and agreed a price it should be on there regardless of if they think you need it or not !

see what they say they maybe be able rectify ! If they get awkward drop them like a hot potato lol not as if you have to stick with 1 insurance company ! But so it sooner rather than later ! It's ALOT cheaper in the 14 days lol

Ford Mustang 5.0
You need to have the business use listed on the insurance certifate. It will have a wording along the lines of "Cover is provided for social, domestic and pleasure and use in connection with insureds business/occupation".

The wording for a normal commuting policy (without business use) will be something along the lines of "Cover is provided for social, domestic and pleasure use including commuting to one permenant place of work/study" this is not what you need.

Im not sure that you would need a seperate letter as it should be on the certificate. If you have recently taken out the policy you may only have an initial cover note while they await your documents. When the full certificate arrives it should show business cover.

If you are stuggling i can happily provide a quote for you and if purchased the certificate would show the business cover. We have actually had a new underwriter join our panel in the last couple of days that is targetting drivers 25+ for hot hatches so you never know might be able to save you a few quid.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's always confused me somewhat - the business usage statement on insurance policies. Clearly, there are some clear-cut cases of on-going and prolonged business use, like the OP's - but a lot of the time, it appears a grey area to me. Unless I'm missing something?

We have a works' depot just one junction down the motorway from where I live. Occasionally, I've dropped off a few network cables or even a full PC, that didn't make it on to the previous nights' delivery run. This is done purely as a favour to help everyone involved and is no more than 5 minutes extra of my time. Yet by the word of the law (and policy) - if another car ploughed into me while dropping off a £2.99 cable - technically, I wouldn't be covered - if business usage wasn't applied to the policy?

D.