ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance screw up...

Arctic 182FF
Renewed my car insurance a few weeks ago. Paid £950 for comprehensive cover with Diamond.
This was after being insured with insurethebox. I was with them for 11 months and a week before I ended my policy due to it being a limited mileage policy and I was about to go on a week long placement that was 40 miles away and I had run out of miles.
On my current policy I had said that I had a year's no claims, today I was told that I don't because I ended the last policy early. I have yet to hear back from diamond with an updated quote but I imagine it's going to skyrocket.

Is my 11 months no claims bonus worth anything?

Where do I stand on getting the money I've paid to them so far back? Because I think they will jack up the price and I will be looking elsewhere if that is the case.

Can anyone suggest any other insurers for young drivers with modifications?

Thanks

No it's not worth anything, and why did you not ask insurethebox to up your miles before you cancelled the policy? You know you can right?

You probably would have had to pay ~£100, but at least you'd have 1 years no claim!

You're about to get shafted unfortunately.

Did you fo a full year? If yes, keep arguing. If not, why would you have a years no claims if you haven't completed a year...

Arctic 182FF
No it's not worth anything, and why did you not ask insurethebox to up your miles before you cancelled the policy? You know you can right?

You probably would have had to pay ~£100, but at least you'd have 1 years no claim!

You're about to get shafted unfortunately.

It would've cost me £400ish to get the extra miles I needed. I didn't realise it would void my lack of claims.

It would've cost me £400ish to get the extra miles I needed. I didn't realise it would void my lack of claims.

Problem here is you haven't actually done the whole year, so technically you still have 0 years no claims.

Personally, I can't see any company honoring it as 1 year, they're all in it to make money!

Hindsights a wonderful thing, but I would have done two quotes - 1 with the no claims and one without, if the one with the 1 years no claims is £400 less or more, then you've gained 1 year (and it will be even more cheaper next year) and potentially some money back.

Okay I tried it again and can't see where I'm wrong. But I probably am.. Show me :)

Here you go :p

Renewed my car insurance a few weeks ago. Paid £950 for comprehensive cover with Diamond.
This was after being insured with insurethebox. I was with them for 11 months and a week before I ended my policy due to it being a limited mileage policy and I was about to go on a week long placement that was 40 miles away and I had run out of miles.
On my current policy I had said that I had a year's no claims, today I was told that I don't because I ended the last policy early. I have yet to hear back from diamond with an updated quote but I imagine it's going to skyrocket.

Where do I stand on getting the money I've paid to them so far back? Because I think they will jack up the price and I will be looking elsewhere if that is the case.

Thanks

Arctic 182FF
Hindsight indeed is wonderful and a b**ch :p if I had realised that this would mean I wouldn't have no claims then I would've just got the extra miles. But with it being my first ever year insurance I didn't realise. Rookie error I know and I feel it is about to bite me in the ass very hard.

I was hoping that if I explained the situation to another insurer on the phone that they may be able to offer some discount, albeit maybe not the full discount for 1 year's no claims.

Clio

Where do I stand on getting the money I've paid to them so far back?
Because I think they will jack up the price and I will be looking elsewhere if that is the case.

Thanks

Regarding getting money back, you dont. Not meaning to sound harsh, but its your fault you told them you had a year no claims which you dont have, not theirs, so they're not going to give you money back for your mistake. Unlucky though! (btw I wasnt trying to insinuate you intentionally lied, it was obviously just an unfortunate mistake!)

Arctic 182FF
Regarding getting money back, you dont. Not meaning to sound harsh, but its your fault you told them you had a year no claims which you dont have, not theirs, so they're not going to give you money back for your mistake. Unlucky though! (btw I wasnt trying to insinuate you intentionally lied, it was obviously just an unfortunate mistake!)
Hmm that's bad news indeed. So basically I've got to pay whatever they quote me or lose the money I've already given them? Balls.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
If you';re within 14 days of the new policy starting you can cancel it with 100% refund...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL !

40 miles ?! Would have been cheaper to get a taxi... or a hire car through work. Or even just hire a car for the day yourself.

80 extra miles on your 'limited milage' policy.. really worth the bother ?! Not like you'd done 20k when you told them you do 3k a year.

:S

Arctic 182FF
If you';re within 14 days of the new policy starting you can cancel it with 100% refund...
it started on the 11th so I'll ring them tomorrow. Would it be best to cancel the policy tomorrow before I search for other quotes so that at least that way I have my money back rather than gambling on the quote they give me being the cheapest?

Arctic 182FF
I did see that but was just making sure my post was clear lol. I could have worded it better, but didn't think anyone would cancel their insurance 3 weeks before its due to end lol
Yeah I did state why I did that in the original post too. Do try to read the OP before replying...

Arctic 182FF
FLOL !

40 miles ?! Would have been cheaper to get a taxi... or a hire car through work. Or even just hire a car for the day yourself.

80 extra miles on your 'limited milage' policy.. really worth the bother ?! Not like you'd done 20k when you told them you do 3k a year.

:S

I was at the placement all week so was 400 miles. Plus I was then going back to Wrexham from Bristol at the weekend so that's another 150 miles.
It wouldn't have been a problem but part of their policy they install a box to monitor everything, so they knew exactly how many miles I'd done, not as if I could've just lied about it.

Yes it would've been cheaper to get another form of transport. But at the time I believed (foolishly) that the method I did by taking out new insurance a bit early, would be the cheapest.

Arctic 182FF
Cancel and find a new policy, don't bother try and dealing with the ballache of them "calculating" a quote, or at least that's what I'd do.

Even if it's with the same company.

Right cheers, I'll call them and cancel the policy tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone who contributed and actually read what I said in the first post.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
it started on the 11th so I'll ring them tomorrow. Would it be best to cancel the policy tomorrow before I search for other quotes so that at least that way I have my money back rather than gambling on the quote they give me being the cheapest?

Well 14 days is on Friday, so if I were you I'd get it all sorted if possible tomorrow, but definately cancel tomorrow, then there's no confusion over 'upto 14 days' or '14 days from start date' etc.
I've done a very similar thing in the past, the insurer I was with wouldn't let me swap to a different car part way through the policy, but said I could cancel and do a new policy. Stupidly did and lost 6 months no claims.

Feel sorry for you as the first NCB makes a big difference to the cost.

Clio

Apologies, you are correct (didn't realise he was still in his first 14 days) Allthough they will charge an admin fee for cancellation (how much depends on the company), but with my company (which is a broker, not an actual insurer) the admin fee is £75. Hope you get it sorted soon mate without loosing too much!

Arctic 182FF
Right will be ringing them tomorrow then, I can handle paying an admin fee if it's going to save me around £900!

Last edited:
  Arctic 182FF
I will likely be cancelling straight away as this would give me time to search around for other quotes, rather than having to decide then and there. What I may have to do is remove all the mods and insure it as standard because this would drop the price significantly.
Ideally I'd like to keep all my modifications because a lot of time, money and effort has been put into them. But if it's going to cost me an extra £1000+ then they'll be coming off.

Arctic 182FF
I'm a bit hesitant to post this because it seems too good to be true, genuinely scared that they missed a 0 off the end of the price. But I received an email from Diamond today, here it is:
"Dear Mr Barnett

Thank you for contacting us about your policy, registration BV02LCU.

I am writing to advise that your policy has increased by £150.00 due to us
reducing your No Claims Bonus to zero. As you have not earned a full years No
Claims Bonus, no insurer would accept it. If you were to cancel your policy,
you would be charged a £47.50 cancellation fee, your time on cover plus a
£5.00 cancellation fee for any additional products taken out."

Arctic 182FF
I replied by email saying that I accept to paying that extra. A bit scared that they're going to tell me it's a mistake if I phone up...

Arctic 182FF
Are you female btw?
No but they seem more than happy to insure me anyway, possibly because I have my mum as a named driver?
I imagine there's a law against them refusing to insure men anyway, surely there's something that stop blatant discrimination?

I remember cancelling my insurance policy once because my car was expected to be off the road for months for repairs. Got fixed in a few weeks and in that time my insurance went from 1800 to 3400. For a 98 fiesta. I asked them if they seriously thought I would pay that and let them know it'd almost be worth my while not to bother with insurance at all.
Joys of a young male driver.

Oddly when someone stroked the car on me and I claimed it, my insurance not only fell, I got a letter after insuring the clio that kept my NCB!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Just realised who this is with.

Are you sure you don't have a vagina?

Arctic 182FF
Very very nice to see it's only £150 more tbh, and as you said I'd of expected an extra 0. Lucky pays off :p
I know, I'm actually struggling to believe it! On the reply email i put, "I hereby agree to pay the additional £150.00 (one hundred and fifty pounds) sterling..."
Just to make doubly sure that was the amount :p
It's been a bit of good and bad today, MOT cost me £100 and advisories were 2 new tyres, new discs and pads so not very cheap. This more than makes up for it though. Was up all last night trying to think of what I could do like returning car to standard, which parts I'd have to sell, how much for etc.
So relieved now!