ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance write off?

I had an accident earlier, completely my fault. Basically pulled out of my work car park, neglected to look right and clipped a passing car. It's torn my front bumper off and done some minor damage to the bonnet. Headlight is scratched. Possibly further damage underneath too but it does still drive. His car survived with a dented wing and broken wishbone. Pics below;

1363972706.jpg

1363999271.jpg

1363912730.jpg

1363936314.jpg

1363998453.jpg

The insurance company have said that 'based on what you have told us the car will be a total loss'. Because of this they are refusing to provide a courtesy car. Luckily I have a lift to and from work tomorrow but as I'm moving house at the weekend I'm pretty screwed.

The insurance company got me recovered to a local storage place, which is where my car is now. The recovery (AA) took the rest of the bumper off so the car was driveable/moveable. I still have some personal belongings in it which I need to obtain. The insurers have said that they will have someone collect the car within 48 hours for investigation and "imaging", which their "engineers" will then look at to determine the outcome. I can't contact the team who deal with claims that are ongoing as they only work 9-5 and this happened about 5.30pm today. The claim line were very helpful until I mentioned courtesy cars..

Few questions as this is all new to me:
1 .How reasonable is it from me to ask for a courtesy car? I don't see why I shouldn't get one, having fully comp cover and protected no claims, plus admitting fault. Even if it is written off how can I be expected to manage without a car until they send me some money? Need to check the small print in my insurance docs but would appreciate some advice in the mean time.
2. What would the rough market value that the insurer could pay out to me? The car is a 2004 182 with just over 100k miles on it. Most history. Tax till May (can I get this refunded if the car is written off?).
3. If they decided the car was written off do I have an option of keeping the car anyway?
4. Who pays for the other damage of the 3rd party that I hit?
5. With protected no claims - will this affect future insurance policies for me?
6. If it is written off, how is my excess handled? Do they just take it off the figure they are going to pay me?

Insurance company asked me to post the following to them;

Original V5 & MOT
Spare key(s)
Original insurance certification
Copy of service history

They also want me to be on a conference call with the DVLA for some reason.

I've never actually had to claim from insurance so this is all new to me. I'm insured with Brentacre but they underwrite with "Markerstudy" who have absolutely terrible reviews online.

Thanks.

What a s**t day.

DB.

BMW 440i
Wouldn't worry too much about the reviews you have read mate.

Even when you look for reviews on the more commerical well regarded companies, nearly all the reviews are terrible. I've just gone with Markerstudy after being with Highway before.

Twingo 133 Cup
conference call is just so you can give permission for your insurance company to check with the dvla that you have a valid license

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols! I do worry about the training at insurance companies sometimes. "It sounds like a total loss".

That came from someone who answers phones for a wage. How the f**k would they know! Oh look it's an 04 plate Clio it must be! f**king mongs.

Anyway I wouldn't expect them to write that off but by the sounds of it they are a special breed.

Yeah they will take the excess off any settlement and send you a cheque for what's left.

Your policy documents will tell you c/car only given if the vehicle is a repair.

If it was the other persons fault, 100% anyway, you "should" be in a hire car already.

Lols! I do worry about the training at insurance companies sometimes. "It sounds like a total loss".

That came from someone who answers phones for a wage. How the f**k would they know! Oh look it's an 04 plate Clio it must be! f**king mongs.

Anyway I wouldn't expect them to write that off but by the sounds of it they are a special breed.

Yeah they will take the excess off any settlement and send you a cheque for what's left.

Your policy documents will tell you c/car only given if the vehicle is a repair.

If it was the other persons fault, 100% anyway, you "should" be in a hire car already.

I thought much the same. Some geordie bird on the phone telling me the damage sounds terminal.

Great that I now have at least 2 days sans car. What's the point of having insurance if I'm completely without transport until they can be arsed to assess the damage? If they write it off and take a month to send me a cheque what am I meant to do?!

It was not the other person's fault. I admit 100% fault here :/

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
If the car is written off you will usually have the option of buying it back but it depends on the insurance company. Your insurance company will pay for the damage to the 3rd party vechicle as you have admitted liability and your insurance excess will be deducted from your final settlement figure. The insurer will value the car on market value so I would suggest having a look on AT, PH and the likes to get some idea on what similar cars are being advertised at. (Age, Condition, Mileage & History) As your NCB is protected you will retain your NCD but you will still have a fault claim on your file so your insurance is likely to increase as you will be seen as higher risk than you were last year.

The courtesy car is discretionary. Most insurers will only provide a courtesy car if your car is being repaired and this car will generally come from the garage/company carrying out the repair. You normally have the option to select 'Hire Car' on most insurance policies which will add a premium to your insurance but will guarantee a car for a dedicated period should your car be a total loss.

The DVLA conference call is pretty standard procedure to ensure you have declared all convictions (If any) to the insurer before they pay out your settlement.

All the best with the claim!

Passat
Sorry to hear it mate.

Couldnt you have sorted it out of insurance? Even if it cost you £800 for both vehicles - you would still save in the long run. I guess the horse has bolted on that one though.

Yes you may have the option of keeping the car and they may contribute to the repairs.

They will pay for the 3rd party repairs. That's the main reason you are obligated to buy insurance.

You will lose maybe two years NCD.

Yes, they excess will be docked from whatever settlement you are adjudged to be owed.

sorry - with NCD protected you will not be deducted any years. The claim will still go against you in the future though. Annoyingly!

Clio RS200
On total loss they don't supply courtesy cars 99% of the time. This is because it's an undefined time of when you'd get a replacement car. Could take you 4 months to find a car you'd like to buy so are they suppose to supply a car for you for 4 months? That's the kind of thinking behind it.
I wouldn't have said that's a wrote off anyway to be honest.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Any reason not to pay for the damage yourself?

Who are you insured with, sounds alot like admiral/elephant bell. f**king cvnts.

Any reason not to pay for the damage yourself?

Who are you insured with, sounds alot like admiral/elephant bell. f**king cvnts.
Can't afford to.

The car needs 4 new tyres, 2 shocks, aux belt, et etc. Had the tyres ordered and booked to be fitted tomorrow but now have to cancel that

I'm with brentacre insurance who use markerstudy as their underwriter

On total loss they don't supply courtesy cars 99% of the time. This is because it's an undefined time of when you'd get a replacement car. Could take you 4 months to find a car you'd like to buy so are they suppose to supply a car for you for 4 months? That's the kind of thinking behind it.
I wouldn't have said that's a wrote off anyway to be honest.

Problem is I now have no car until they complete whatever investigation they need to do and then (if written off) give me a cheque. I think this is unacceptable as I pay for fully comp insurance so that in the event of an accident, I get a car. Will be having words today when their 'after claim' department open at 9am.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But that's kinda your fault for not reading the policy not their's. Guaranteed hire car is the option for total loss coverage.

BMW F21 125d
1. Depends if your policy specifys a courtesy car and under what circumstances, all are different
2. No idea on value, but yes get your tax disc out before it goes and claim it back if/when its written off
3. Where are they inspecting it, you could have the chance to buy it back.
4. Your insurance company
5. Yes, you may lose, none, some or all of your protected no claims. Regardless of that outcome, you also have to declare you've had a claim, which will increase your premium
6. Normally the insurance company will deduct it from your pay out.

Hello Z8Jay.

We are sorry to hear that you have having an unsatisfactory experience and would like to investigate the issue further. Please can you contact us direct, with your policy number, address, best contact number and state reference FOR2 to help@markerstudy.com

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why you so insistent they give you a courtesy car, it's an option you tick when buying insurance, which I guess you never ticked.

surely it just needs a new front bumper?

We are pleased that we have been able to resolve your query.

I think you will find that my query is not yet resolved. I'm waiting for a call from your "complaints" department but will email you some details to forward onto them, as nobody in your call centre would give me an email address or postal address.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Wouldn't worry too much about the reviews you have read mate.

Even when you look for reviews on the more commerical well regarded companies, nearly all the reviews are terrible. I've just gone with Markerstudy after being with Highway before.

Spot on mate great advice.

We deal with both Markerstudy and Highway (who are now part of LV). Both are excellent companies.

Markerstudy turn over in excess of £400 million a year. They offer good service and are very proactive when it comes to claims.....The online review sites (as Ollie from Sky rightly pointed out above) are purely a place for people to complain. Even companies like Direct Line and LV who regularly get customer service/claim awards get negative reviews on those sites.

Nobody seems to take the time to post positive right ups on those review sites.

Also having a broker to help in a claim is always handy. We can contact the insurers and feed questions/advice if needed which can often speed up the process.

Best regards
Neil
Greenlight
01277 376000

Ford Mustang 5.0
I think you will find that my query is not yet resolved. I'm waiting for a call from your "complaints" department but will email you some details to forward onto them, as nobody in your call centre would give me an email address or postal address.

Jay

Call your broker they should be doing the chasing for you if its getting to the stage where you are logging a complaint. The broker will be able to cut straight to the chase via his/her contacts and hopefully get your questions/issues resolved.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

My broker was less than helpful in the end. I've had to do all of the legwork to get this claim sorted. Only this week have I had the money in my account. If you look at my original post date, you'll see that this is a f**king long time for a simple claim. If fault was disputed or I hadn't provided the right info then I may let it slide, however this company have been absolutely useless throughout.

At least it's all done now I guess. The car was written off and I've bought a shitty car for £200 and pocketed the remainder.

FF Clio 182
My broker was less than helpful in the end. I've had to do all of the legwork to get this claim sorted. Only this week have I had the money in my account. If you look at my original post date, you'll see that this is a f**king long time for a simple claim. If fault was disputed or I hadn't provided the right info then I may let it slide, however this company have been absolutely useless throughout.

At least it's all done now I guess. The car was written off and I've bought a shitty car for £200 and pocketed the remainder.

I had an accident in January that was completely not my fault, the 3rd party accepted liability straight up. I have only just this week received my excess back off my insurance company! So think yourself lucky it was that quick...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think the whole broker thing hasn't helped but considering it's 100% your fault I can't understand the delay.