ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring a Cat D

stu

Clio Mk 1
Basically just wanted to know if you have to tell your insurance company and would you expect it to affect the price much? Tried a search but couldn't really find anything.

Its for a mate who has seen an s reg Golf GTI for £2495 and is in two minds about buying it as he is not sure on the matter its from a garage in superb condition fsh full mot n tax, does this seem a fair price or should he be looking to get him down by much?

Cheers for all the help in advance.

www.renparts.co.uk
They can tell its a cat D as soon as you give the reg.

thats incorrect.

If you tell them they usually want an independent inspection, pics etc. Just insure it as normal they will never know. As far as your concerned you have no legal obligation to HPI a vehicle when you buy it, it won't affect the pay out either. I drive Cat C's and D's all the time. Insurance don't know because i don't know theyre Cat D's/C's :)

So when they put the reg into the computer it doesnt show that the vehicle was previously written off?

Hmm.. I have a mate that works at LV I will ask him :)

stu

Clio Mk 1
What about if he just insured it without the reg number?

And what about the price is it too much for a Cat D?

Insurance will know when you make a claim, they will ask for the logbook which will show it was a write off. Failure to disclose on your insurance will invalidate the cover and encouraging someone to do so is stupid. All the insurance company will want is to see the engineers report and there should be no additional premium to your policy.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Insurance will know when you make a claim, they will ask for the logbook which will show it was a write off. Failure to disclose on your insurance will invalidate the cover and encouraging someone to do so is stupid. All the insurance company will want is to see the engineers report and there should be no additional premium to your policy.

But its not a legal requirement to HPI car. IF you didnt know how can you declare it?

Because it's on the logbook? And why risk it if it doesnt make it any more expensive?

Last edited:
  www.renparts.co.uk
Because it's on the logbook? And why risk it if it doesnt make it any more expensive?

don't bother trying to tell people you know nothing about. Cat D isn't on the logbook. Cat C is, again not something thats easily noticeable as its in the Notes.

This is the same as "Oh it had an induction kit on it when I bought it, I thought it came like that". Ignorance is no excuse. An insurance company will cease on any nondisclosure as a reason to invalidate a policy. A cat D write off won't be a problem and won't load the premium with most insurance companies, all they will request is a copy of the engineers report, so why hide it?

Its not non disclosure if they dont ask you. I've never been asked and i've had hundreds of quotes.
You always get "does it have any modifications" "Is it an import" and other things similair which some will lie about but i've never been asked about the cars previous history regarding cat c/ds

Same as any other car to insure as far i no. In theory really it should be cheaper as the vehicle is worth less

www.renparts.co.uk
Its not non disclosure if they dont ask you. I've never been asked and i've had hundreds of quotes.
You always get "does it have any modifications" "Is it an import" and other things similair which some will lie about but i've never been asked about the cars previous history regarding cat c/ds

Same as any other car to insure as far i no. In theory really it should be cheaper as the vehicle is worth less

as you say they don't ask, like with modifications. And like i said you are not obliged to HPI a car anyway.