ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring a Euro import

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ok, say I bought a euro import Clio 172 from somewhere like Motorpoint and it was a full UK spec car...

Would it cost more to insure than if I went to a Renault dealer and bought one!?

I know it "shouldnt" but I know what these insurance companies are like!

Any thoughts???

GR7

Shiny red R32

You should have no problems and it doesnt cost any more. Some insurance companies ask if it is a UK spec import and if so it is treated the same as any UK bought car.

Silver Fabia vRS

If it is from the EU Market and the exact spec of a UK model you will have no problems. A grey import would probably cost more.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Have you sorted out your rubbish dealer yet Nick, regarding your oil leak?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

What about the alarm/immobiliser issues?!

AFAIK imports dont come with one fitted?!

GR7

Shiny red R32

For the Renault dealer bought cars, there is a company at Southampton Docks which fits their alarms, as none of the cars come into Britain with them.

Think it depends on the insurance company, some are happy with any alarm/immobiliser and others demand a Thatcham one.

Fiesta TDCI

Some insurance companies are still scared by the word import and cant seem to grasp the concept that all Renaults are imported as such.

Tesco seem to be very reasonable and dont ask stupid questions.

Adrian flux quoted me for a CTR (import)
group 18 (the same as they have the 172) £1360.00, tesco quoted me £630, make your own conclusions from that!

Needless to say Adrian Flux wont be getting my business again!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

My insurance company never asked where it came from (imported from Motorpoint). Had a cat1 alarm fitted and this reduced my insurance from the standard uk Renault alarm by approx £80.