ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring two cars....

Civic Vtec y0
Basically some money has come my way and I am thinking about buying a diesel for going back and forward to work and a Valver for the rest of the time! I do about 400-500 miles a week just going to work and back so would save a bit in the long run if the insurance was cheapish.

So basically does anyone know of any companies that will give you a good discount if you insure two cars with them? Or who would be the best people to speak to?

Oh and im only 19 with one years NCB

Vectra :(
I am with elephant and they give discount on your second car. I tried to work out how much discount so i got a quote on another 106gti and the second quote was £450 whereas i am paying £600 on the 106 now so thats a £150 saving for second car.

I also seen an advert on TV the other day for direct line i think that are doing a scheme for insuring 2 cars

Just a case of googling i think mate but most large insurers should give you a discount on the second car imo

Civic Vtec y0
Well im with Direct Line just now, main driver on my car and named driver on my mums (She is also insured with direct line) I got a discount bcoz my mums car was with them, but i dont know if i will get it again!

Would it be best to come off her insurence first?

Monaro VXR
Think about how many years it would take before you save some money not worth it in my books not just to run a valver and a diesel.

Your talking £1000 extra for a decent diesel, Plus few hundred insurance + tax + fuel by the time you start working it out it doesnt save you all that much and trust me once you get the valver you would not want to drive the diesel daily you will want to have the power daily.

Same reason im getting rid of both my other cars to repalce them with a Mustang i will actually save money running that. And the fact is i dont think i coudl go fro a 4.6 V8 to a 1.1 8v for my daily commute again just would not be able to do it it would hurt me.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
When I bought my GTi I still needed to be on the Rallye whilst it was for sale.

Insurance on that was only an additional £10/wk at 20 with 0NCB, so you should be fine.

ph1 172
I read an article in the Which magazine a few years back about diesels.

basically they were saying that to buy a diesel over the equivilent petrol can be as much as £1500 new.

Then they worked out how many miles you would have to drive for the car to cover the extra £1.5k. (so just to break even)

It came to something like 40k miles over 3 years.

They also priced up some 2nd hand cars and came to roughly the same conclusion.

so check how much it will cost you and how much you will save and you.

Say you are doing 28mpg in the valver...

Thats 80 litres (500miles) of fuel a week so about £75 a week

Now 40mpg in a diesel...

Thats 56 litres of diesel a week or about £56 a week

Total saving over a year would be 20 x 52 = £1040

which is quite a bit, but then you are estimating 26k per year

Civic Vtec y0
The cost of the extra car isnt much of an issue as it will only be a few hundred quid I am spending on the diesel. Darren, what company was that with?

Tim, thanks for the figures I think im going to go ahead with the idea! Plus I need something big and comfy for the motorway...