ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior Light staying on

Supercharged S2000
Hi All!

It's been a while since i have posted on here as i sold my 172 a few years back!
My brother has now purchased one and so far has had 6 months of no hassle ( apart from today FRIDAY THE 13TH!!).

Basically, all doors / boot / bonnet are shut and the interior light is still staying on. After putting the key in the ignition it shows there is a door open on the dash.
Now the main problem we have here is this is triggering the alarm, i was also having trouble getting round leaving the car unlocked as the interior light will no doubt rinse the battery over night.

For now i have managed to balance the interior switch between the interior light and the reading light leaving both off, i have also manually locked for car for the time being until i sort this out.

Now i have a big feeling this is either something to do with one of the sensors or the battery.
We had to use jump leads earlier to get my sisters car going and it seems to of happened a few hours after doing this.

I have read the boot sensor unit is located under the bonnet near the pass headlight, it was raining at the time so is there a chance it could be this?
If not i guess there could be a fault with the battery.

My main question is, does any one have any thoughts on how to diagnose this problem, or is it literally trail and error? can i disable the boot or bonnet sensors for now? I'm pretty sure it's not the door sensors, but if so is there a way i can check which one is knackered?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Elliot

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Open boot. Depress plunger for boot light (left side where the parcel shelf rests IIRC). Do lights go out after a while?

Same with the doors but I can't remember where the plungers are for those, if any.

Sounds most likely to be a door / boot switch. They can get water in them which corrodes the contacts - if they can be stripped, a bit of wire wool or wet and dry will clean them up.

Failing that, just buy a couple of 2nd hand ones from a breaker to try.