ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior neons

Im thinking about fitting some interior neons because the fuse has gone that lights up the heater dials. Instead of replacing the fuse, I thought I would get some funky neons! I dont want the neon tubes (like the 8-12" ones offered by Max Power) because I think they will look tacky on the dash. Im looking for something discreet like the Max Power "Beemers" but Im worried that all the wires will look messy. Anybody with experience, please help!!!

I think you get the tubes but hide them... Like, under dash so it lights up footwells and such - if you hide it all well, it can look cool - its when you start seeing the tubes it *can* look a bit poor.

Same with everything though - if its done right, it looks cool!

Daz.

Wires should be easy to tuck in under your dash etc, its just hiding the big daft plastic tubes like daz said. remember its the glow people like and not the tube.

To hide the wires I was thinking of buying some sticky pads as sold by Richbrook for attaching their alloy tax disc holders to windscreens. As for the tubes themselves, does anybody know whether or not they can be moved easily enough if you want to relocate them? The last thing I want is to end up with is nasty glue marks on my walnut dash if i do decide to move them!!!

halfords sell some nice tubes. been thinking about putting one under my parcel shelf....not that folk even bother looking in my boot:)

Ive seen some multi-coloured prisms for £25 and some 12" tubes for about the same. They also sold the "dancing" neon wire which you can wrap around your headunit or anywhere else on your dash, etc. for £20-30.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

OK now i will educate u all

right now find your local MAPLINS its a elecrical store that sells electrical components and pc parts.

now go in and ask to be pointed in the direction of the COLD CATHODE LIGHTS now that is a cold cathode i here u ask well they are basically the same as neons BUT u get them in 12" lengths and they are about 3mm in diameter and come in a small plastic tube u dont have to keep em in the tube its just there for protection.

now compared to a neon tube these produce summit like 90% more light they cost like 8 quid and are much better than neons because of there size and the amount of light they give out they come with an invertor that u connect to your 12v and they shine sooo much they are really good and extremely small u can get them in 6" vertions too believe me MUCH better than neons.

MaLicE

oh u can get them in blue, green, yellow, pinkish red, white, and black (ultraviolet) and i think there may be more colours.

you wont regret it

Those cold cathode lights sound cool but how much wiring is involved? I would prefer something to be hard-wired as opposed to having something constantly plugged into the cigarette lighter so the cathodes sound ideal. When you say they give off 90% more light than neons doesnt this make them distracting as neons are bright enough?!? How would you attach them to the dash as well?

PS Just a quick question...my g/f bought some of the Max Power "Beemer" neon lights. Theyre pretty cool but they dont seem to stick to the dash very well. Any suggestions?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the cold cathodes give out more consentrated light and i dont think would be distracting if u put them in your foot wells or underseats. for wireing just tap off of a 12v line like the 1 going to your faglighter. reason they wont stick is proberly u or some 1 else has used a silicone polish on the dash, get some meths and give it a wiping over where u want to stick them.

MaLicE