ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

intermittant lazy starting fuel pump relay???

my girlfriends 02 plate phase 2 has had a minor problem for a while now and has started to get worse thought id pop up a quick question on here before i get more involved in it :)
car always starts lovely first thing in the morning
basically very periodically the car would not start when warm. usually if we went shopping and left the car for 45 mins or so and came out the car would not start first flick of the key.
if you turned the igntion on and left it a few seconds a couple of times and gave it a bit of throttle when starting it would fire up.
car always drives fine when started no running issues, lack of power or ecu codes.
recently the problem has become worse in that now rather than maybe once a month the car now does this nearly everytime apart from the first start in the morning. it will always start eventually and has never left us stranded.

to me it seems like a priming issue in that the fuel is running back/evaporating when parked and then when you jump back in its failing to do the initial priming sequence. then when you leave the ignition on and then give it a bit of throttle it will pump enough through to fire up.

question is....
seems likely its the fuel pump relay maybe? if so is this the seperate black little relay in the fuse box like the earlier 172's or is it built in the pump? or am i barking up completely the wrong tree?

any advice minor or major would be greatly appreciated

Yes check the 3 brown or black relays in a row under the bonnet passenger side black cover. one is starter,fuel pump, and low speed fan.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Mine also does this.
I was under the impression it is the fuel sender.
I have yet to investige further