ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

internet speed dropped?

Goliath I
Ive recently moved and my internet speed had dropped from 8mbps (about) down to 1.1mbps?

Ive done checks and is says my address and phoneline can run speeds at 8mbps.

The phone wiring is a bit all over the place. Two leads go from the main socket, one which is probably connected to the outside lines and the second which has been cut. could that be the problem?

Any ideas Id be most grateful :)

Bumder With A Buffer
Your Line can run speeds "upto" 8mb ;)

First thing to do would be check the wiring..by the sounds of it somethings a bit amiss with the one thats cut..can you take any pics at all?

Goliath I
I spoke to one of my neighbours and they said they were getting about 6-7 but is it depending on the house?

ill take some pics tomorrow of the main box wiring, the loose cable still seems to be wired in

Bumder With A Buffer
In "some" cases your neighbours could be getting 6-7mb but you could only get 2-3mb..it all depends on how direct you line runs to the exchange, the quality of your line etc etc.

For example your neighbours could be going straight out of the house an down to the exchange, yours could be going down the road to collect everyone else's line then down to the exchange so kind of doing a loop and going back past you if you get what I mean?) so this would make your line longer effecting you line speed.

TBH most of the time its dodgy internal wiring. BT openreach say 70% of there fault calls are at the CPE (Customer) and out of that 70%, 80% of that is missing or incorrectly placed filters!) The stuff im working on at work can determine where the fault is and whats causing it. They can do it now but they send an engineer out..this kit sits in the exchange/cabinet and lets them test lines without sending an engineer out until they know where the fault is..very cool stuff (for me anyway!)

Christ that was a waffle and a half! :eek: sorry!

Goliath I
Ive traced what seems to be the main line to a small box by the door (with numerous wires in) which then leads to a box outside the door. This box also has a cable running from my next door neighbours house into it? it doesn't look in great condition either

Bumder With A Buffer
Sorry I put Dax when I meant to put Dacs :eek:

Might not be and could just be that you and your neighbours lines come up at the same place and then they have run it past your house to theirs. Are they fairly old places then?