ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inverters - 150W or 300W

I want to hook up my PS2 in the car, what inverter do I need ? Maplin are doing a special offer on a 300W 12V Inverter, will this be ok ?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Hi Dai,

The ps2 will pull about 10amps, so about a 100w inverter would just about run it, the 300w inverter will be ideal as it will be supplying much less than its rated to supply ergo it will run nice and cool.

The Ebay one is 24v unless its a miss print so wouldnt work. Just reread it, its meant for a truck as they run 24v.

Cheers _KDF.

Thank Pete, I missed that, the most important bit ! DOH !

Once this arrives, I can actually set this up !

I need to get one of these in the next few weeks. Maplin are doing a deal on the 300W version for £19.99 but they are out of stock everywhere. They do have the 150W for £29.99 and IN STOCK, will this be ok to run a PS2 or shall I wait for the 300W ?

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 23 August 2004
The ps2 will pull about 10amps

I dont think so, unless youve added a toaster. An X box is rated at 55 Watts, so some simple maths tells you the current draw at 240 volts is 0.2 amps. The ps 2 will be very similar.

Quote: Originally posted by andrewm on 26 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 23 August 2004

The ps2 will pull about 10amps
I dont think so, unless youve added a toaster. An X box is rated at 55 Watts, so some simple maths tells you the current draw at 240 volts is 0.2 amps. The ps 2 will be very similar.
So the 150W inverter would be ok ?

I would think so, it depends upon how accurate the 150W figure is on the invertor. If youre Maplining you can always take it back, they have the best returns policy Ive ever seen. Id say go for as big as you can, that way you can always add more stuff later.

500bhp Scoob

yea get a bigger wattage one, itll only pull 300w or whatever when it needs to, and not all the time, its just what the maximum wattage it can throw out is...

Polo + Micra

its best to get the highest rating possible (will run cooler if not at full load)

also if you can afford it get a true sine wave inverter rather than a modified sine (actually square wave), because they produce less noise in electronic components.

Cheers guys, I dont want to pay a whole lot for the inverter so it is going to have to be a modified sine unfortunately. It is not going to be used all the time so something cheap and cheerful will do the trick for me at the moment.

I will wait for the 300W inverter to come into stock then, just hope it comes in the next 2 weeks or I will have to look elsewhere.