ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Involved in hit and run incident.

182 FF
Glad your ok mate, hopefully Some CCTV has caught the guy! Be great to catch the mother F. It'd surprising how little the police get involved in such serious incidents.

When I was in my mates car we got hit, the other car loosened a lamppost and there was glass over the road, we told them and they wouldn't come out unless someone was injured! I was like - well theres glass over the floor for the next car to run flat on a bend and a loose lamppost you need to look at?!?

Keep us posted if you get any luck :)

inferno 182.
Been bitting my tounge! Umm?Maybe save the Quarter panel??? Dont know without seeing it! second hand complete door and paint down the side sorts the body! If you want to save you car mate its not going to be cheap! Insurance wise Its scrap! sorry! you asked for a pro opinion!
I'm no bodywork pro, but this would be my course of action if I were to try and repair myself:

Source a door/mirror/side strip from an RB, ask Cliospares on here, or just search HARD for one being broke and you will find one eventually.

For now, run a random door off of a non sport you can get for pennies.

Find a turini on here, shouldn't be too hard with a bit of effort.

Get a body shop quote for quarter repair/bumper blow in.

When you've found the right door, I'd have that quarter knocked out (it hasn't smashed it hard by the look of it (but this would need to be confirmed)) and have it lightly filled/painted and the door etc fitted/blown in.

Or, go through the insurance, but from experience, by the time you've paid the excess AND taken the year on year hit on your insurance premiums, it may be worth dropping a bit of cash doing it yourself (if the quarter is deemed repairable by a bodyshop).

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Why biting your tongue? Your input would be valuable.

I said that it would need to be confirmed if it could be saved?

Are my steps not the ones you would take then in his position? I'm not having a dig, just genuinely curious?

In your opinion would another RB door do not do the trick?

Last edited:
  inferno 182.
I would need to see it! If he really wants to save his car it can be done! Insurance wise its scrap as I said!

Chris.

DB.

BMW 440i
Gutted for you mate, atleast your not injured. Doesn't sound much, but things could have been so much worse. Fairly pretty girl I know has ended up with a scar from her boob to her waist after a crash and numerous ops.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
wounding mate, hope you can get it sorted, as people have mentioned its all down to how economically repairable the quarter is, rest of the bits should be easy enough to source/paint if needed but if that doorpin has pulled the inside of the door shut out of shape too, could mount up in price.

everythings sortable, see the lass in newbies from Holland who rolled her mark one into a gravel trap? she repaired that, its just how much your willing to pay!

I'm no bodywork pro, but this would be my course of action if I were to try and repair myself:

Source a door/mirror/side strip from an RB, ask Cliospares on here, or just search HARD for one being broke and you will find one eventually.

For now, run a random door off of a non sport you can get for pennies.

Find a turini on here, shouldn't be too hard with a bit of effort.

Get a body shop quote for quarter repair/bumper blow in.

When you've found the right door, I'd have that quarter knocked out (it hasn't smashed it hard by the look of it (but this would need to be confirmed)) and have it lightly filled/painted and the door etc fitted/blown in.

Or, go through the insurance, but from experience, by the time you've paid the excess AND taken the year on year hit on your insurance premiums, it may be worth dropping a bit of cash doing it yourself (if the quarter is deemed repairable by a bodyshop).

I see what you're saying but that's going to mean his mint car is now a tatty one and it's cost him a load of money.

The parts won't be expensive. Getting them painted and getting the arch fixed will be a lot.

Call the insurance and go that way. Let them write it off. Take the 4k(ish) they'll give you and move on. Buy something else/another Clio and just take the hit on the no-claims.

Luke's just had a crash and his insurance didn't sky rocket.

This is why you pay insurance so that you don't have to foot the bill for everything yourself.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I see what you're saying but that's going to mean his mint car is now a tatty one and it's cost him a load of money.

The parts won't be expensive. Getting them painted and getting the arch fixed will be a lot.

Call the insurance and go that way. Let them write it off. Take the 4k(ish) they'll give you and move on. Buy something else/another Clio and just take the hit on the no-claims.

This is why you pay insurance so that you don't have to foot the bill for everything yourself.

Yeah I do agree, I'm put off to use insurance since I got a 50% premium increase for a non fault claim on someone elses insurance... I wasn't even in the f**king car!

Well the van with onboard cctv who stopped in front has no footage of the event so now only relying on tfl's cctv without that the police will be unable to do anything which is precisely what they've done so far.

I've been advised from various sources and all with different opinions. The car is in my uncles body shop in the process of being fixed. I have a ball park figure for the job and will be getting trade price and tbh after insurance excess etc id rather fund the repair myself.

I'm sure some will say its the wrong decision but I will be losing out what ever.
Thanks for everyones input its appreciated.

I'm still after a 172 cup turini if anyone has one.

inferno 182.
I really dont think your going to get 4k pay out from the insurance!! Think maybe £3k tops if your lucky!! If you can get RB parts they may still need painting as still may not match perfectly when fitted whats wrong with the front wing?? looked at the pictures again and think the quarter will go again as long as the bodyshop has the right equipment!! buy second hand door and wing (if needed?) any colour,bump strip for your Quarter! If you want to save your car get it wheel align checked just to make sure nothings bent on the rear end as that wheels taken a big hit! I Think if your supplying the parts? to repair the quarter and paint down the side and rear bumper your looking at a £1k+ VAT hardest thing to find is ! Turini! that colour but can be matched!!!