ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Launch - Too soon to queue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It happens a lot and I think that's why people jump on the defensive Chip. You never seem to see Apple buyers chastising buyers of other products.

The fanboy thing annoys me a little, always involves Apple and is usually a sure sign of someone losing an argument on here.

My mate's wife called me an 'Apple geek' the other day, purely because I ordered some new stuff.

Like her, it's usually said by those that can't afford it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think its cause the people who like them go on about them so much as if they are gods gift to the world that it makes others get sick of it and go on about them.

I can see both sides TBH, iPhone genuinely was a total revolution, even just stuff like the flicking the screen around to scroll etc, its all taken for granted now. But on the other hand, there are plenty of better phones out there, sure they all stole apples ideas but they then improved on them and ended up with a great product, so as a consumer they often make more sense than the (typically expensive, partly due to R&D costs etc) Apple version.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My mate's wife called me an 'Apple geek' the other day, purely because I ordered some new stuff.

Do apple actually sell anything that people are likely to be unable to afford? I mean unless we are talking unemployed or minimum wage people etc.

Even their high end laptops are only a couple of grand arent they?

Do apple actually sell anything that people are likely to be unable to afford? I mean unless we are talking unemployed or minimum wage people etc.

Even their high end laptops are only a couple of grand arent they?

Harsh words.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Implying if you can't afford an Apple product, you're unemployed or on minimum wage.

Apple products aren't a priority of mine.

Sorry should have put "or have already committed all your finances to other items" as well. lol

People on this forum seem to be properly easily wound up by a harmless comment.

What I was getting at, is its not like buying a new ferrari or a rolls royce which is potentially out of reach for most people even if they really tried to buy it, where as if you REALLY wanted an apple product im sure you could find the cash, costs less than smoking for a year for example. So like yourself, im sure you COULD afford an ipad or iphone or macbook etc if you were really committed to getting one.
To me saying "if you dont like them you must be jealous" seems a bit lame TBH, people have plenty of other reasons for not liking products besides that.

For a start they are massively proprietary, thats why I would never want one of their laptops personally for example, as I like to be able to tinker. Plus Im a massive remapping fanboy as Revels mentions, and you cant get remapping software for many ecu's for apples. lol

Rav4
Not meaning to sound like a tit, but if I didn't have a mortgage and lived at home like many, I could afford a Ferrari, so could many.

But I do see where you are coming from.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not meaning to sound like a tit, but if I didn't have a mortgage and lived at home like many, I could afford a Ferrari, so could many.

But I do see where you are coming from.

TBH if you have to sell your house to fund it like a 200K new car from ferrari or rolls etc, thats "not affording it" IMHO, especially when the epic running bills start coming in! where as if you just have to give up a few nights out or quit smoking or not go on holiday like for an iphone or a macbook, thats pretty affordable.

S3, Polo

Sometimes, for one reason or another, people either don't understand the difference between a PC and a Mac or an Android phone and an iPhone or they genuinely don't care about the differences.

Ignorance doesn't necessarily make someone unable to afford a product, it just means that the differences are so monumentally low on their 'care' meter that what product one has to perform function x is actually irrelevant?

Good job on fuelling the w*nky 'Apple Elitist' fire.

EDIT: For the avoidance of doubt, I really like Apple products but don't feel the need to be a zealot. The way that the old Apple products defy PC depreciation trends is also a bit of a boon!

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good job on fuelling the w*nky 'Apple Elitist' fire.

As I said previously not used to seeing these arguments so hadnt seen that before, but is it common for people with a 500 quid item to claim it makes them look rich? lol
Honestly never would have expected that.

Would be like trying to pose in a 172 as a status symbol, lol

DB.

BMW 440i
Forget that, either in the post on launch day, or 2 weeks after launch day in the shop/post. Forget queueing for it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If a 172 was the best, most expensive car on the market, then yes. That analogy would work.

Lol @ that, I guess I should have said a toblerone or whatever then by your logic as thats the dearest chocolate bar.

500 quid iphone is expensive for a phone, but still a very accessable amount of money to all but the very poorest surely?

Sorry but anyone trying to express wealth with something so cheap is on a bit of a hiding to nothing IMHO, unless we are talking schoolkids.

S3, Polo
Lol @ that, I guess I should have said a toblerone or whatever then by your logic as thats the dearest chocolate bar.

500 quid iphone is expensive for a phone, but still a very accessable amount of money to all but the very poorest surely?

Sorry but anyone trying to express wealth with something so cheap is on a bit of a hiding to nothing IMHO, unless we are talking schoolkids.

Depends on your frame of reference and priorities, surely? Sure, some people can't afford it, however some people actually just want to make calls and have 90% of the experience and buy WP7/ Android.

Is this not an utterly obvious and a pointless argument?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH Revels, I was trying to avoid arguments in this thread as its just not something I give a toss about but they seem to keep homing in on me. lol

I dont get impressed by a phone or a tablet pc etc so I find it hard to picture that others would so when I see people saying stuff like that it does catch my eye.

I studied psychology as a minor subject alongside my degree and have always found how people view status symbols etc an interesting trait in others even though its not one I partake in myself as I couldnt care less about the opinion of anyone who would judge me based on wether I do or dont own a particular item.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends on your frame of reference and priorities, surely? Sure, some people can't afford it, however some people actually just want to make calls and have 90% of the experience and buy WP7/ Android.

Is this not an utterly obvious and a pointless argument?

Indeed it is, hence I wasnt getting involved at all in that core argument, I couldnt care less what make phone others have etc.

Although I do find it genuinely interesting that others might have low enough self esteem to feel a phone could help bolster it etc or to envy others for their phone or tablet pc etc.

I wanted one of those little flip phones about 10 years ago because that guy from Spandau Ballet who was in Eastenders had one and I thought he looked cool :eek:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I wanted one of those little flip phones about 10 years ago because that guy from Spandau Ballet who was in Eastenders had one and I thought he looked cool :eek:

Flol, Im too old I guess, no such thing as a cool mobile phone really when I was a kid, the ones that did exist were purely for business use and were massively expensive and were all ridiculous looking,so no one brand really stood out from any other.

I do once remember a 16 year old girl saying to me "wow cool you have a matrix phone" when I pulled it out to take her number down which made me wonder a bit about how anyone could be impressed by something so trivial, mind you I was impressed by her tits and to others that probably seems trivial too.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol, Im too old I guess, no such thing as a cool mobile phone really when I was a kid, the ones that did exist were purely for business use and were massively expensive and were all ridiculous looking,so no one brand really stood out from any other.

I do once remember a 16 year old girl saying to me "wow cool you have a matrix phone" when I pulled it out to take her number down which made me wonder a bit about how anyone could be impressed by something so trivial, mind you I was impressed by her tits and to others that probably seems trivial too.

You don't realise nice things impress people?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You don't realise nice things impress people?

When its something as trivial as a phone I wouldnt really expect much reaction generally TBH no.

Mind you, im just totally not a materialistic person TBH so tend to not feel much affinity with others who are.

I'm sure that puts me in the minority these days.

S3, Polo
Indeed it is, hence I wasnt getting involved at all in that core argument, I couldnt care less what make phone others have etc.

Although I do find it genuinely interesting that others might have low enough self esteem to feel a phone could help bolster it etc or to envy others for their phone or tablet pc etc.

By referencing the cost of an item, you tackled the "core argument" head on.

For someone that has such little interest in the subject, you seem pretty keen on questioning the semantics and reasoning behind why any individual would make certain purchase decisions? Surely you'd have to have more than a passing interest, in order to keep re-visiting such a nebulous subject? Aren't there a myriad reasons? I'd wager that self-esteem and having a mis-guided superiority complex *might* be an issue for a fraction of the user-base but how about "it's an easy-to-use device" or "It's plainly better, in my view"?

Because something isn't what you would choose to own, makes it reprehensible in some way, right?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
By referencing the cost of an item, you tackled the "core argument" head on.

No I meant the core arugment on here of wether an iphone or an android is better etc.
Thats the thing I have no interest in discussing as to me they are so much of a muchness.

For someone that has such little interest in the subject, you seem pretty keen on questioning the semantics and reasoning behind why any individual would make certain purchase decisions? Surely you'd have to have more than a passing interest, in order to keep re-visiting such a nebulous subject? Aren't there a myriad reasons? I'd wager that self-esteem and having a mis-guided superiority complex *might* be an issue for a fraction of the user-base but how about "it's an easy-to-use device" or "It's plainly better, in my view"?

Because something isn't what you would choose to own, makes it reprehensible in some way, right?

As I mentioined previously I find the people discussing it quite interesting, the concept of a phone as a status symbol for anyone other than schoolkids etc, so that is my reason for keep revisting, plus people like yourself keep specifically replying to me and I think its a bit rude to not repsond if something is talking directly to you on a forum.

In my case I bought an iphone because it is a handy mobile web browser and I like the range of apps available etc.
Like you say even if others dont share my appreciation for them as a product I cant really see why it generates as much emotion as it does. But likewise I cant really see why the people really into them get quite as excited about them as they do either, to me ultimately its still justa phone at the end of the day.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I bought mine because it's the best mobile phone on the market by far. Not because it impresses people.

I've no doubt people do buy them to impress people and not that they actually need one.

An orange one
Apple products just work - fact

The iPhone 4 is (almost 2 years after launch) still a stunning design

Combination of form and function sells it for me and however many billions around the world

If it was gash but looked nice, nobody would care, if it was brilliant but ugly, nobody would care... But it's brilliant and great looking so it's lapped up world wide

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I prefer the feel of the 3 to the 4 with regards to iphones, the rounded edges just feel more tactile somehow.

Mine is getting battered now though so need to replace it and may as well go for something quicker etc as have had it well over 2 years, not sure wether to get a 4s though or wait for the 5.

As is always the case with apple there is an annoying lack of clear information about future models, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.