ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPads @ Tesco £50?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 197 RB
Seen a few tweets on twitter about Tesco selling iPads for £50.
I imagine it was a pricing error. But I can't find any news about. Anybody else heard anything??

Oh, and congratulations if you managed to get one if it is true.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Online, if an order was placed it would be cancelled.

In store, they would likely remove the product from sale for the required 24 hours than lose upwards of £300 a product.

Clio 182
Yeah a guy at work was talking about this, he didnt get to it in time however his friend apparently ordered 5? Again I couldnt find any news so just thought he was bullshitting!

Heard about it too as Deeg said though orders will be cancelled. Then people will complain because they genuinely thought Tesco would sell them at that price.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Heard about it too as Deeg said though orders will be cancelled. Then people will complain because they genuinely thought Tesco would sell them at that price.

Only complete and utter retards will complain. Rational people will have a bit of a smirk at themselves for thinking for a short time that it would happen and getting their hopes up.

I'll await the usual 'but they have to sell it to me as that's the price the advertised it for', 'sales of goods act', 'I know the law' etc etc.

Only complete and utter retards will complain. Rational people will have a bit of a smirk at themselves for thinking for a short time that it would happen and getting their hopes up.

I'll await the usual 'but they have to sell it to me as that's the price the advertised it for', 'sales of goods act', 'I know the law' etc etc.

Someone has just said that lol.

they have to once you buy it. its a legal contact! somone is losing their job tonight hahah

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I do agree that someone will be losing their job thats for sure lol :D

No they won't.

At worst they'll get a bit of a bollocking.

At best, their boss will have a laugh with them about the increased traffic.

I will put money that sales are higher through tesco's e-com platform tonight than this day last year, or this day last week.

Clio 182
No they won't.

At worst they'll get a bit of a bollocking.

At best, their boss will have a laugh with them about the increased traffic.

I will put money that sales are higher through tesco's e-com platform tonight than this day last year, or this day last week.

It was a joke, but its nice to see you are taking this subject very seriously.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Deeg is always serious where retards are involved.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It was a joke, but its nice to see you are taking this subject very seriously.

Lol, apologies mate.

Comes from working with shops and ecom in the past and having to deal with some of the mongs you get when something like this happens.

The certainty they have that they are right is staggering.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, apologies mate.

Comes from working with shops and ecom in the past and having to deal with some of the mongs you get when something like this happens.

serious question for serious deeg... where does the "its marked up that price so they have to sell at that price" come from? i have to admit i was always under this impression.

i even had a wireless router for about £20 rather than £80 because it was marked up wrong in currys

Clio 182
Lol, apologies mate.

I can only imagine, similarly to the amount of people that are going to sue the two ISP's I've worked for because their broadband speed doesn't hit the advertised, 'upto', 20Mb.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's not a legal obligation, when it comes down to it they don't even have to let you in the shop never mind anything else. Used to get chancers back in my halfords days!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
serious question for serious deeg... where does the "its marked up that price so they have to sell at that price" come from? i have to admit i was always under this impression.

i even had a wireless router for about £20 rather than £80 because it was marked up wrong in currys

Just common misconception, which is fed by the fact that if it isn't a lot of money, 99% of companies will honour it, rather than lose the sale.

In the grand scheme of things, £60 in your example isn't much, when they're only likely to sell maybe 1 or 2 a day, and can correct the problem easily by removing the product.

When the price difference is circa £300 over xx thousand units, it's a much different equation that the company has to weigh up.

Also, as I say, getting people to your site is half the battle, if 0.1% of additional traffic spends money tonight, Tesco will have made a few quid.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i can understand that, but there must be something somehwere that has given plenty of people the idea that if its advertised as x amount then you have to sell it at x amount?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
so where has it come from then? i wasnt a chancer with that router all i did was pick up the box i wanted showed it to the guy said how much is this it says £20 here but £80 there and he said ill do it for £20 for you because its advertised as £20

As I say, it's just one of those things that people have heard and therefore believe, which is sometimes compounded by retailers doing it through good will.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i can understand that, but there must be something somehwere that has given plenty of people the idea that if its advertised as x amount then you have to sell it at x amount?

Not really, the number of people who believe it without actually knowing anything about the rules is staggering.

It's one of those things that pops into people's heads when they're having an argument at a till.

Think about it logically, I nip into a Ferrari garage and see a rather nice looking Ferrari priced up at £ 9,999. Now it's obvious that the other 9 has fallen off, but under the incorrect application of the law, the dealer would have to sell it to me for £9,999.

Makes no sense if logic is applied.

Oil Burner
Legally though they do have to sell them! It is in the sales of goods act.

Shops don't have to sell you anything. They can refuse your business whenever they want.

If they intentionally priced the product wrong then that is not legal.

As said above, most shops will honour the price to keep the customer happy and returning. But they won't loose that kind of money on a sale.

Customers are also great for trying to move price tags/tickets around because they believe you have to sell it to them/think it's funny. Imagine if shops had to then honour this price, it would be a joke.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
i agree it is completley ridiculous, but ive always wondered where it has come from as like i said i had bilieve it before (obviously without considering the ferrari extreme).

seems odd how that "rule" has managed to pass through and get companies giving in (like my router) where as other things you make up with an argument at a till dont

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
i agree it is completley ridiculous, but ive always wondered where it has come from as like i said i had bilieve it before (obviously without considering the ferrari extreme).

seems odd how that "rule" has managed to pass through and get companies giving in (like my router) where as other things you make up with an argument at a till dont

It's not really the company 'giving in', it's weighing up the cost of letting the
Mistake go and honour the incorrect price and the positive effect that will have on customer relationships vs the value of mistake.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Crocs? They're the current shoe of choice for an oxygen thief IIRC.

slightly sweeiping generalisation.

the only people i see wearing them are doctors and nurses in hospitals...

deeg i suppose. it is good when the do honour it lol. £80 router for £20 = win :)

It's not really the company 'giving in', it's weighing up the cost of letting the
Mistake go and honour the incorrect price and the positive effect that will have on customer relationships vs the value of mistake.

I like it when people can grasp simple ideas, pity more seem unable!

slightly sweeiping generalisation.

the only people i see wearing them are doctors and nurses in hospitals...

Fashion choice vs practical/functional reasons aren't really the same though lets be honest. If people started wearing hard hats as an aesthetic choice it would still mean they are a window licking fashion victim despite making them no less important on a building site...

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Link us up to the section that says that please. I think I know why you're getting confused, but I'll hold off.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Which said:
If goods are wrongly priced by mistake, you don't have a right to buy at that ... The law applies to prices shown on products, on shelves, or in catalogues or advertisements, and online.

Would you look at that.

I took a set of stainless pans to the till in Tesco thinking they were £3 but they were meant to be £19.

They honoured the price at the time without me asking them to just because it was labelled as £3.

Clio 182
Frantic bargain hunters crashed Tesco Direct after a glitch on the website meant brand new iPads were being sold for just £49.99.
Hundreds of shoppers raced to buy the iPad 3 Wi-fi 4G 64GB black model, which was advertised on the supermarket’s site at the 90% discounted price.
News of the glitch spread on Twitter, with hundreds of users boasting about bagging the cut-price Apple tablet computer, which are on the market for around £500.
One wrote: “Just got the confirmation email. So far so good.”
Another joked: “Mwahahahhaa. We've crashed Tesco's website!
“I reckon the downtime and lost sales will negate the PR-led sales they get for the iPad mistake."
Tesco Direct and 'every little helps' also started trending UK wide following the glitch.
Other users were more cynical, with one tweeting: “If anyone thinks that Tesco will honour this obvious misprice of an iPad 4G for £49.99 should leave the Internet now.”
Tesco confirmed that an “IT error” had occurred and was being investigated.
However the company will not be honouring any purchases made.
A spokesperson said: “We always look to offer our customers unbeatable value but unfortunately this is an IT error which is being corrected.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-direct-sells-apple-ipad-760619

Status
Not open for further replies.