ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iphone exchange help...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
got my mum a new iphone anyway havent set up exchange on one before, put in user and pass etc.... it then asks for exchange server address is there an easy way of finding this rather than calling the unhelpful t**t at her office and asking for it ?

Not really- You need to contact them for the externally accessible address.

Depending on the setup, he may need to make some changes, but you're not going to know until you speak to him :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
For anyone running Exchange 2003 be sure and install service pack 2 in order to get the iPhone connected OK.

This may help to set it up.
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/07/13/walkthrough-exchange-activesync-on-your-iphone-20/

Also you need the exchange server name. Easily enough found.
Open outlook, Tools, Email Accounts, Click Change, then note down exchange server name and account name.

Unless it's using RPC-over-HTTP in which case, you might be seeing an internal address.. (9/10, people will be seeing an internal LAN address using that method I would say). You may be lucky and he's setup remote access using RPC, but... most just bottle it and create a VPN and use internal stuff. Heh.
I've supported lots of Exchange infrastructures, and I very rarely see one which works perfectly well for external clients - most people just love VPN and standard nonsense.

If it's Exchange 2007, and the Admin knows his stuff, he'll have it working internally, externally and all with autodiscover, so it'll just know based on your e-mail address - I'm guessing the fact that it's not worked though, he hasn't (or is using Exchange 2000/2003). Exchange 2007 is pretty good for stuff like that.

Also, if it's setup properly, he'll need to enable ActiveSync access for you.

Way to many factors without speaking to the admin. :p

Last edited:

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Well, so long as actual remote access is enabled. We have VPNS for dialing into clients, but everything outside of the main building is RPC-HTTP so we never have any problems with the Iphones, Qphones, WM and BlackBerrys.

But then again thats down to us setting it up properly in the first instance.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
right she uses an http site to connect to it... microsoft exchange mail or summit random?? it looks just like outlook 2007 but a website? just like hotmail tbh... its supposed to sync everyones callenders etc in the company but it doesnt sync to hers?? she just wants the email on her phone and to be able to receive the group callenders...

the admin guy is weird i met him and he tried acting overly cool telling me he was a dj... i was like really cool which clubs do you play in? he was like oh i do weddings and birthdays.... i was like OHHHHHH

so he is a bit of a fake geek .... i shall get her to call him tomorrow and tell him what she needs to work etc...