ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone Repair Question.

Just a quick question.

The OH's iPhone 3G has basically died for whatever reason, just hangs on the Apple logo, iTunes doesn't recognise it, reset doesn't work etc.

She took it to Apple who couldn't sort anything either, and told her for £139 (ish) they would give her a new handset.

I didn't know if anyone else had done this before, and how it works? As I assume they don't produce 3G's anymore, will they give her a refurb? A 3GS? Will they take her old one away before giving her a new one?

I could find this out by going to Apple, but it saves me a journey asking on here, and tbh you lot know more than most when it comes to things like this.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quick question.

The OH's iPhone 3G has basically died for whatever reason, just hangs on the Apple logo, iTunes doesn't recognise it, reset doesn't work etc.

She took it to Apple who couldn't sort anything either, and told her for £139 (ish) they would give her a new handset.

I didn't know if anyone else had done this before, and how it works? As I assume they don't produce 3G's anymore, will they give her a refurb? A 3GS? Will they take her old one away before giving her a new one?

I could find this out by going to Apple, but it saves me a journey asking on here, and tbh you lot know more than most when it comes to things like this.

Like for like replacement pal.

Have you tried putting it in DFU mode and then doing a clean restore from there?

Held the lock and home button, it rebooted, then just hung on the Apple logo again.

Apple told her when she took it in that it was just "broken" and couldn't be fixed.

As to DFU mode, iTunes/windows just doesn't recognise it at all, so surely I wouldn't be able to do this would I?

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Apple told her when she took it in that it was just "broken" and couldn't be fixed.

i know Apple have a higher level of customer service than usual, but it wouldnt take much for someone to not be bothered with a repair and just say "its broke". a repair might even work out much more expensive.

Cheers for your help.

Also, referring to what I earlier said, will she have to give them her old handset to be able to get a refrub one, or can she keep her old broken one and still get a refurb for however much it costs?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for your help.

Also, referring to what I earlier said, will she have to give them her old handset to be able to get a refrub one, or can she keep her old broken one and still get a refurb for however much it costs?

She gives them the phone and she gets a refurb in return.

Went to Apple last night.

The guy took it away to see if he could fix anything. Came back and said that as it wouldn't turn on, he was classing it as a "battery malfunction" (which it wasn't) so we got a new one for £55.

Result!

Did they gave you a new or refurbed 3G?

My brother's 2 year old 3G keeps freezing and the battery only lasts 5-6 hours a day (even when not used).

Could he walk in and replace it, are did you have some extra cover?

They gave her a "refurbed" one, but I didn't realise that they use a brand new battery and cosmetic parts like casing, screen etc, and all of the internals have never been used. When the phones go to testing, if one has a duff screen with dead pixels etc, then they will take every other part out of that phone, and use it in the refurbs. I was expecting to get bits and pieces from peoples old broken phones lol!

We just walked in. Had no warranty or cover or anything. She's had it over 2 years.

As said, the original person said it would cost £139 to get a refurb, but when we went in last night, the guy said he would do it for £55 and put it down as a battery malfunction as he couldn't even turn the thing on.