ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ipod technology question

I was just thinking really, as I'm unlikely to be able to afford one for a while but when I do I don't want to get it wrong...

At the moment you have 4gb nanos and 20+gb normal ipods.

I understand that the nanos have flash memory (has no moving parts) and the big ones have hard drives. (has moving parts) (Is that right??)

My question is - how reliable are the hard drives on the big ones? I wouldn't want to buy one, spend hours putting all my stuff on it, then drop it once and f**k the drive up, therefore rendering my purchase an expensive lump of useless plastic...

How big will the flash memory things get in the future? I'm sure I remember reading something about someone making 4 or 8gb SD cards so I imagine that that level of memory in that size package will be possible, but is it ages away or just round the corner?

Sorry for the possibly dumb questions... :eek: :)

You are right. Ipod and Ipod mini have "hard disks" (actually compact flash microdrives I believe) and the Nano is solid state.

I've got a 4Gb Mini, and not had any problems with the disk, but I've not dropped it either!

I guess solid state is better really and like you say, the capacities will only increase as technology progresses. I thought you could already get 4GB compact flash cards, not sure about SD.

Clio 172mk2
i got a 30g video one and its fine. no probs so far

yer the nanos are memory driven as for longer batetry life i dont think theres much difference

just go for what suits yer needs

dont be a faggot and get what you want! You could be unlucky and drop it! you can get a casing for it! ive dropped mine twice and its still going, an ipod photo!