ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is 100,000 miles+ too many?

clio 182 black /gold
Re: Would you buy a 100,000 mile 182

consumables..... exhaust, shocks etc...

and much more likely to be needing bits like injectors, pas pumps, alternators, starter motors.......
Yes all these parts could fail. A guy i work with bought an ex company car, it was well maintained but after a few months the car started to fail, first was alternator then would not start then a few other faults, then the head gasket went. After this he scrapped it. The car was a rover and had 120K when it died.

Wow, lots of different views on this. I have had lots of cars in the past with well over 100,000 miles with no probs but not a renault, but one thing I dont want to do is buy it now keep it a year or two and then be stuck with it.
And yes that is the car.
Cheers Andrew

clio 182 black /gold

Wow, lots of different views on this. I have had lots of cars in the past with well over 100,000 miles with no probs but not a renault, but one thing I dont want to do is buy it now keep it a year or two and then be stuck with it.
And yes that is the car.
Cheers Andrew
It could be a good car. When i started to drive back in 1990 and cars goto 70 - 80K on the clock they started to go wrong. I know mine did. I know cars are advanced and can last at least double that. My old corsa was a 1998 S reg and i had it for 4 years and no major problems just brakes and exhaust. The new owner has had it for 2 and half years and the power steering is leaking from the pump and it has done 80K, but he does not maintain it.

And yes that is the car.
Cheers Andrew
I'd give the seller a call & if it sounds like it's worth seeing, see it & go from there.

100k bmw/audi/saab/volvo/merc YES
100k Renault NOT A CHANCE
Why not there loads of Renault over 100k o trouble at all.
consumables..... exhaust, shocks etc...

and much more likely to be needing bits like injectors, pas pumps, alternators, starter motors.......
Exhaust are killed more with age and driving style and type of milage.
Dampers wear anway I've driven cars with stock dampers with over 10k and there fine mine at 50k was work all down to driving style etc.

Injectors are fine only cheap to replace anway plus they cna blowck regardless

PAs pumps I've seen more worn ones on low milage cars as there oftne town driven as such.

Starters and alternators IMO its down to luck and age not milage.

Theres your problem. He did well to get to 120k in a Rover!

Why I know of loads fo rovers over that no trouble at all my parents old 25 has 125 I think when they sold it was good as new realy.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

30K a year is not actually massive mileage - I've seen 3 year olds with 200K at auction!

BUT it ain't gonna sell in a hurry with that mileage and non-cup suspension

I'd say IF it's spotless with FSH, motorway miles it's a good buy

TIP: wait a fortnight, offer £4500 cash!

172 Race Car

Lol this thread is funny, loads of people saying NO when they havent seen the car or arent in the trade. edde is right in what hes saying.

Theres no way that car would have done that milage round town its lived on the motorway most likely to have a fair few stone chips on the front. I would never let milage put me off. A while ago we were looking for a small cheep car for my Gf we looked at loads of 1998-99 year cars on around 40k and they were all sheds. I finaly persuaded her to go and look at a 103k mile fiesta and it turned out to be a real gem. The guy drove it to london (about 100miles) everyday.Fair enough the body work was a little tired but mechanicaly it was spot on apart from a small oil leak (£5 to fix) and some wiper blades. shes had it almost a year now, done 6k and its no trouble at all. When i worked at for we had a Transit that came in every 6 weeks for its next 10k service, the last time i saw it it was near 280k on original gearbox, axle, clutch, engine and all ancilaries. All steady light motorway miles

My (Qualified) opinion is it depends HOW its been driven and HOW its been maintained rather than its total mileage.

Markcup's 172 as he said has done 90k+ and its been tracked ALOT but well looked after.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Woman in front of me at the petrol station today worked for Dingbro and had to give the teller her mileage on her 07 plate Traffic van....................107000!!!!!

My (Qualified) opinion is it depends HOW its been driven and HOW its been maintained rather than its total mileage.

Totally agree i know of a relitivly new Jag which is nearing 400k now nothing has been changed on it there a few old williams on the same sort of milage on stock engines.

I have to say mines been hammered ever day for 105k and its as good as new.

Cup'd Monaco 172

Id buy it, but budget on rebushing all the suspension, plus top mounts, dampers and engine mounts.

everything else will be fine.

I would rather spend that money on a mint ph1 or 2, but I guess if you don't do many miles like me it would be a good buy.

I bought a mk1 172 back in 2005 which had done about 123k. I ran it for about 6 months, covering around 10k miles, and then sold it on. Only fault I had in that time was exhaust rusted through, but thats more down to age than mileage. Never had any engine problems, and I regularly drove it hard.

I don't know why so many people are against Renault's with high mileage, my last 19 16v was on 179k and still running strong. I've had other 19 16v's with 130 - 140k without problems.

My current Williams 2 i bought with 102k, now on 131k and has never had a problem in the time i've owned it, just had routine servicing and usual consumables like tyres/brakes etc.

In my opinion, if you like it, its clean and tidy with a decent history, then buy it.

Everyone laughed when I bought my 172 with that mileage, but I paid £2100 for it, ran it for 6 months, and sold it for roughly £2500, and thats after making some money back from selling a few bits of it! So i had 6 months of motoring, to the tune of around -£700!

FF Blackgold 182

100k! Most 1*2's are f**ked after 30!

Mine has 53k on it and it's fine thanks! Paul J has his 182 with more miles on it and last time I saw it, he was flying around Castle Combe in it! :rasp: It's a bit of a sweeping statement really, when as Burp and Edde have said, that it's how a car is looked after not the mileage. I do mostly motorway mileage in mine and it had one previous owner before me. If this high mileage 182 looks sound, I would say have a think about it, but the price would have to be right imo and that's for you to decide.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting

i actually find my clio really comfortable to drive,thats why i like it so much lol

182Cup, MinesGTR R35

I bought myn at 25k and shitloads has gone wong with it like new rear shoks, drive shalfts, engine mount, window regulator, rear barings and new disks all round, new front windscrean as it cracked from a stone chip, new stearing rack boot coz it split, new iner ball joint, new track rod ends, new lower ball joints, new power stearing hose it split sum how, new altinater, new tdc sensor, new cam belt, new aux belt, new ngk spark plugs, new air filter, new ignition leads.

Its now at 63k and is fine just had service to!
Onley thing that needs fixing is the air con :(

Last edited:
  e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Woman in front of me at the petrol station today worked for Dingbro and had to give the teller her mileage on her 07 plate Traffic van....................107000!!!!!

500 miles a day!!

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR

Is this thread a 1950s throwback? Mileage does not effect the internal mechanics of the car or the car as a whole like it use to.

As long as the price is right then yes id buy it. Ignore everyone who thinks it will blow up as soon as you turn the key.

53 Clio's & counting

our tyre suppliers do anything up to 600 miles a day,there vans average 115,000 miles a year

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR

My brother works for UPS, there vans frequently run up to 200k with no major problems. Just keep up with normal services and theres no reason why they cant go on for well up to 400k and beyond.

A red missile

my 172 is now on 109,600 and still runs lovely,still on original box and clutch,mine has fsh,and seems to have been looked after,so if you can get it cheap (like i did-2k) then id go for it

Theres the rub, at 2k i'd say yeah go for it but at the money you're talking i'd give it a wide berth. At 2 grand you could sit on the other 3 for any mechanical problems that might hit and then its worth considering, but over 5k? I certainly wouldn't.

Renault Clio 182 Cup

well, my one has 38k and drives and sounds like brand new. 100k is average milage. if that car had regulary service i mean changed oil, petrol/air filters and all things which should be done as renault recommend so 100k is fine.

well, my one has 38k and drives and sounds like brand new. 100k is average milage. if that car had regulary service i mean changed oil, petrol/air filters and all things which should be done as renault recommend so 100k is fine.

Fuel filters are good for 150k undder renautl rules few have ever chnaged them as well.

53 Clio's & counting

my 172 is now on 109,600 and still runs lovely,still on original box and clutch,mine has fsh,and seems to have been looked after,so if you can get it cheap (like i did-2k) then id go for it

Theres the rub, at 2k i'd say yeah go for it but at the money you're talking i'd give it a wide berth. At 2 grand you could sit on the other 3 for any mechanical problems that might hit and then its worth considering, but over 5k? I certainly wouldn't.

true mate,but as its a 182 and newer i would expect to pay more than i got mine for,i think go see it,make up some rubbish about the miles and then knock him down a bit

id def say its worth a look in,you havent anything to loose

Mini Cooper S sport

Lol this thread is funny, loads of people saying NO when they havent seen the car or arent in the trade. edde is right in what hes saying.

I wouldn't buy any high mileage car though, that's just my own personal preference :), I don't care if that's right or wrong!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

For the right price I would, as said it's about how the car has ben treated/maintained more than the milage.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I'd have no problem with the mileage (my rallye's on 105k), but I wouldn't buy it when there are 172's about for the same cash with far lower miles.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup

100,000 on a 182, b*****d thats alot!! imo go buy a mint 172 for that price.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

when i had my 182 i did 50k in 18 months with no problems what so ever. mind you it was from brand new, but i still see it driving around now and has 70k and still going strong. it all depends on what you pay for it and its history. if its been serviced and has all the paperwork i would buy it.

make sure you get it for less than advertised though.

as said before wait two weeks ring up and offer a much much lower amount for cash and work from there

No, The seller advertised the car and said he would take a part ex for it, but hes gone a bit quiet on me so I think hes changed his mind
Cheers, Andrew

The only way i would buy a car any car with high mil like that
was if i was planning on never selling it again lol
and burning it into the ground...

A lot of Golfs gti's sell well with high mil like that
also volvos but those cars mentioned can go around the block and still
be safe..
not so sure with a renault...