ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is 5w 30 to thin for a 110k 172?

ph1 172 Black
Costco have some Oil on offer at half price. Packs of 3 litres. 6 litres would cost £22. Specially designed for Voltswagen FSI engines, fully synthetic.

Thing is it's a great price but would it be no good for my engine? I think 30 bit means viscosity at normal running temp. So it would be thinner. A lot of my journeys are 10mins in week and 40mins at weekend.

Any advice appreciated. I know it should be 5w 40 and thats whats in at min. (Millers Fully Synth)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Might not be good mate.. £22 + new 5w40 is not going to be cheap, although i got 0w30 for free & through it in my old 80k 1.2, jesus was it tappy.. 10 mins later.. oil changed lol.. there is rumor that using that thinner oils can clean the engine & remove carbon deposits that are sealing your pistons, 100+k engine will more than likely have alot of carbon in the head/pistons

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Might not be good mate.. £22 + new 5w40 is not going to be cheap, although i got 0w30 for free & through it in my old 80k 1.2, jesus was it tappy.. 10 mins later.. oil changed lol.. there is rumor that using that thinner oils can clean the engine & remove carbon deposits that are sealing your pistons, 100+k engine will more than likely have alot of carbon in the head/pistons

Those carbon deposits that seal the pistons isnt neccessarily a bad thing :)

53 Clio's & counting
renault say use 5w 40, mines run on it all its life , i still use it and mines just ticked on 119k