ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is 7 previous owners TOO many for a 182?

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Seems to be a lot of these with high amount of owners then, i'll take your advice and buy on condition. Still currently looking for the right one.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Buy on condition.
True.

But I'd personally be a bit wary of the likes of a 182 being on it's 11th or 12th owner. As already mentioned, these things are cheap these days and on average having an-owner-per-year, sets alarm bells ringing.

Something like a high-end Scooby or Supra - I'd expect that number of owners. Some will have bought on a whim, got to their first service or consumable that needed replacing and then shat themselves at the cost......."I need to get rid!". Or, they are simply sick of pumping fuel in and getting barely double-figures per gallon out if it.

Granted, a 1*2 might not be for you. It's running perfectly but after six months, you've had enough and decide to move on. That happening a handful of times I can understand. But on cars of this age and probably in the region of £1.5k-£2k - it just makes me think that the previous owners simply CBA maintaining it right - or they've seen/heard a ticking time-bomb.

I wouldn't immediately dismiss a car with over a dozen prior owners. But I'd automatically be looking at others with lower numbers first.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My first, about 6 weeks.
I bought a cup, two weeks.
Had a Megane trophy, 3 months tops.
Phase 1 flamer, a month.

Current 9 owner car. 2.5 years.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on how evenly spaced they are. an owner change every 2-3 years is fine, but (for example) 1 owner for 12 years then 6 more in 2 years points to a hidden issue. Hard to check this, but some free check sites list change in ownership dates.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Let’s not forget a time when dealerships would tax the car in their name to get the car out early.