ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is bored of my 197 F1

RS Megane 225F1
The theory of the Cup 172 being more fun is the fact that there is no ABS and no traction control, it makes the whole "b-road" blast that bit more dangerous as if you get it wrong your in a bush....

I found the R27 was just too refined, if, like me you prefer the raw driving experience, you cannot compare the 172 Cup to the R27, the Cup is most definatley quicker than an R27, or at least mine was, I ran them both for the time I had the R27.

I still had my Cup when i got the Meg but never used it because the Meg got me good, hence I sold the Cup, the Megane, is more like the Cup but way faster, once mapped, with the traction turned off and whatnot it feels super dangerous when your blasting it and for me thats the "fun" factor...

The R27 could corner at a billion miles an hour and i wouldn't even put me fag out !!! where as the Cup made me feel like I was going to die if I even dared think of smoking me fag while nailing it !!!

Cheers
Lee

RS RIP
^^ well spoken Lee :)

I used to own a 280hp Impreza but the Cup is a lot more fun. But like you said , the Cup is "on the edge" very quickly and you will need all hands and feet when nailing it.

BUT ;That's also the best part of the Cup ..it's just plain raw and far less "adult" compared to these mostly heavier cars

Tav

Clio 197
The theory of the Cup 172 being more fun is the fact that there is no ABS and no traction control, it makes the whole "b-road" blast that bit more dangerous as if you get it wrong your in a bush....

I found the R27 was just too refined, if, like me you prefer the raw driving experience, you cannot compare the 172 Cup to the R27, the Cup is most definatley quicker than an R27, or at least mine was, I ran them both for the time I had the R27.

I still had my Cup when i got the Meg but never used it because the Meg got me good, hence I sold the Cup, the Megane, is more like the Cup but way faster, once mapped, with the traction turned off and whatnot it feels super dangerous when your blasting it and for me thats the "fun" factor...

The R27 could corner at a billion miles an hour and i wouldn't even put me fag out !!! where as the Cup made me feel like I was going to die if I even dared think of smoking me fag while nailing it !!!

Cheers
Lee

No ABS doesn't make a car more raw to drive. It just means if you make a big mistake you'll pay for it dearly. Rarely have I triggered the ABS on the 182 and when I have I've been glad it's there. The stability control almost always gets turned off as well.

I get what people say about raw driving. Drive something old (pre-1990) like a Golf GTi and you'll see that the raw mechanical feeling has an appeal all of it's own. The 172/182 Clio captures some of this old feeling...maybe one of the last cars to do it.

RS Megane 225F1
Agreed, I rarely trigger the ABS in the Meg, but again, physcologically you know it will lock up if you do jump on them hence the "feeling" of imminent death if you go to hard, where as if it is there, triggered or not your brain still feels safer as you know its there just in case, with the Cup this is not an option so you have no saftey net if you will, like rock climbing without a rope, its the same as with a rope but more exciting as you know it could go all wrong.....

Agree with what you say that the Cup 172 captures the "old skool" feeling a treat I think.....

Cheers
Lee

RS RIP
^^ Rarely need to use the brakes !? then you're not hammering it like you should with such a car , the 200 ; C'mon !!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think one of the factor's to bear in mind with the 172 Cup, is that the combination of a decent engine, lack of ABS, no traction control, etc - is very unlikely to happen again from other manufacturers.

Sure, there are specific marques who cater for such things - Lotus, Caterham, etc. But for a mainstream manufacturer to take one of it's most common range of cars, and hone it into a rapid little A-road fecker, is not the top of the agenda for most car makers. Even if they wanted to, the stupid amount of health and safety crap that's enforced these days, means their hands are already tied - before it gets to the design stage.

I guess Reno have tried again to recapture that 'Cupness' in terms of the Meggy R26R and personally, I applaud the French boffins for even attempting it. It seems the current trend these days where if the car doesn't have three tons of stereo, 42 settings for each sub-compartment climate, Blu-ray players in the dash and 20 dead cows lining the seats - then it's not worth bothering with.

A car is for driving. Not an attempt to emulate your living room.

D.

RS Megane 225F1
I think one of the factor's to bear in mind with the 172 Cup, is that the combination of a decent engine, lack of ABS, no traction control, etc - is very unlikely to happen again from other manufacturers.

Sure, there are specific marques who cater for such things - Lotus, Caterham, etc. But for a mainstream manufacturer to take one of it's most common range of cars, and hone it into a rapid little A-road fecker, is not the top of the agenda for most car makers. Even if they wanted to, the stupid amount of health and safety crap that's enforced these days, means their hands are already tied - before it gets to the design stage.

I guess Reno have tried again to recapture that 'Cupness' in terms of the Meggy R26R and personally, I applaud the French boffins for even attempting it. It seems the current trend these days where if the car doesn't have three tons of stereo, 42 settings for each sub-compartment climate, Blu-ray players in the dash and 20 dead cows lining the seats - then it's not worth bothering with.

D.

Here here !!!

What he said !!! :D

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Imo the R27 is a very impressive car, Was hugely fun when i drove it...much more so than the ealier 172/182. it also looks modern, is better equipped as you say and less likely to break or kill you in the winter...

Alot of people have this arguement about the mk1 & mk2...It'll never end.

RS RIP
^^ hitting the brakes, make your back end swirve out ; that's driving !

But i'm also guilty of long lasting brakes, taking curves hard. I have however also been in situations where hard braking made it a lot of fun making it through the curve in one piece.... always hard throttle straight after hard braking :evil:

You have'nt REALLY driven it untill you have needed to brake hard ! ;)

PS 200
^^ hitting the brakes, make your back end swirve out ; that's driving !

But i'm also guilty of long lasting brakes, taking curves hard. I have however also been in situations where hard braking made it a lot of fun making it through the curve in one piece.... always hard throttle straight after hard braking :evil:

You have'nt REALLY driven it untill you have needed to brake hard ! ;)
I said rarely ;):D

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Imo the R27 is a very impressive car, Was hugely fun when i drove it...much more so than the ealier 172/182. it also looks modern, is better equipped as you say and less likely to break or kill you in the winter...

Alot of people have this arguement about the mk1 & mk2...It'll never end.

+1

The distant memories of Trophy being erased by the sheer fun of the 197;)

BMW E92/Audi S3
I've heard about the 197s being WAY more boring than the MK2 Cups and they are mega slow. My Audi ass raped one.
Strip it and see how it feels lol.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

D.

Darren S for Prime Minister

Tav

Clio 197

Sure, there are specific marques who cater for such things - Lotus, Caterham, etc.

Butttt...one of the reasons the track orientated Lotus 2 Eleven was SO good was it's unobtrusive yet confidence inspiring ABS and it's adjustable traction control...

clio 182
I had a 197 for 2 months. had it on the rr and it made 180 bhp
my 172 ph1 made that sort of power[cams ect] and was a fast,fun car:D
the 197 is far to heavy it needs the 194bhp or more to make that as much fun or as quick
maybe i had a crap 1 lol
and what sort power is the 200 making? are they near 195+bhp??

Clio 172 RS2
Hi Lee,

Just do it, Do it... DO IT!

Get the fun factor back, that true driving experience... what Hot Hatches are all about.

M2 Competition
Drive with a small butt plug in your anus. It'll bering the excitement back and you wont have t c change cars

An orange one
my R26 is as close to the thrill of my old 172 cup as it gets IMHO, the diff is hugely addicative and the turbo fires you down the straights afterwards, the back end also seems quite light which means under heavy braking into a turn you can feel the back twitching round as you feed the power in and the diff hooks up...its immense! but the cup still definately has it pipped for raw fun!

even my mums 182 FF cup packed which i regularly hoon around isnt as direct and pointy as the cup was..

simply a legendary car! there will never be another 172 cup....simple! :)