ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth........

MK3 1.2
Im 19 and have a 1.2 Mk3

Is it worth me saving up for a mk2 sport in say a year or 2 or saving up for something like a golf gti in about 5 years?

I have never drove a mk2 sport so are they a fun, fast, good handling car?

Reviews would be nice :) Thanks

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That is a question only you can answer.

But if you read around the forum I am sure you will find an answer to the second question.

Why would you want a Golf GTI? Yes they're good cars, but I see them as an hot hatch for very old people lol!

An RS Clio would be MUCH more fun to drive than a golf.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
A Clio sport mk2 is only 1.4 isn't it? Not much of a step up from the 1.2 you have in terms of performance (if any)

or are we to asume you mean RenaultSport Clio? Ie 172/182?

:rasp:

FF Racing Blue 182
My first impressions of driving the 182 was good and bad

Bad points...rattles build quality and size

Good points...nippy good looking and not bad on fuel

That's not a review sorry but its what i notice with cars if that's any use to you

MK3 1.2
I like mk5 gtis

But i do like 172s and 182s and having a mk3 1.2 is slow but very fun and i would like to know how fun the 172s and 182s are. just a short review

172 Cup
how fun?
this much
Loves-y-all-this-much!.jpg

(give or take)
HTH

Clio 182 Trophy
My advice is neither. I'd keep your current car and get some no claims bonus built up then you can buy whatever car you like without huge insurance costs. I made that mistake and its sickening the amount of money I've wasted on cars and insurance over the years.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Wouldn't bother with a Golf, unless you put TT alloys on it, a 20" sub in the boot with 1000W mono Amp, Baileys trumpet dump valve and lowered 10CM all around, seat all the way back and whilst driving along address everyone as "BruuuuuuuuuuuuuuV" I wouldn't bother.

That's all a Golf is good for ( unless you go R32 )

Clio Sport generally = Radawesome ride with power and economy, parts are cheap'ish too. ( recaros £150 from scrappy )

MK3 1.2
I think i want a mk2 Renault Sport in the future, you guys have made my mind up.

Which is best as again ive never drove one. 172 or 182 and which phase?

172 Cup
ffs don't let us make your mind up, go drive one and drive a GTI too.
Easy to find a 1*2 at a dealer and probably not too hard for GTIs either.
Don't bother with the Mk3 Golf though.

MK3 1.2
ffs don't let us make your mind up, go drive one and drive a GTI too.
Easy to find a 1*2 at a dealer and probably not too hard for GTIs either.
Don't bother with the Mk3 Golf though.

Problem is though pal is ive drove a GTI from a dealer and i couldnt get what i wanted out of it performance wise as they wouldnt let me. So it would probably be the same for a 172/182

172 Cup
erm not really, try another dealer. what do you mean wouldn't let you? were you driving like a div?
I know I've been given the keys to a 172 and left to do drive on my own. he was like "which ones ur car?" and I pointed at my car and he's like "k, here go" but tbh he seemed like a bit of a dodgy dealer and the car was a right munter.

TTRS & V50
Do both. Save up for a RS in 1 or 2 years. Own it enjoy it then your life situation will be completely different in 5 years, but yeah, get a GTi then. You never know you might have even more money and cars may have depreciated even more so you'll get more than a Golf.

With cars, think of the short-term rather than long term, SOOO much can change in 5 years especially at your age.

MK3 1.2
erm not really, try another dealer. what do you mean wouldn't let you? were you driving like a div?
I know I've been given the keys to a 172 and left to do drive on my own. he was like "which ones ur car?" and I pointed at my car and he's like "k, here go" but tbh he seemed like a bit of a dodgy dealer and the car was a right munter.

No, drove like a boss but as soon as i put my foot down he was like watch the speed. Im 19 so maybe he was being cautious but he didnt know id driven a Nissan GTR the day before and was well used to the quick cars.

MK3 1.2
Do both. Save up for a RS in 1 or 2 years. Own it enjoy it then your life situation will be completely different in 5 years, but yeah, get a GTi then. You never know you might have even more money and cars may have depreciated even more so you'll get more than a Golf.

With cars, think of the short-term rather than long term, SOOO much can change in 5 years especially at your age.

True that mate, thanks for the bigger picture :star:

BMW 330cd
Get a ph1 172, cheaper quicker cheaper to tax and cheaper tyres and has the best throttle setup and airbox.

DB.

BMW 440i
LOL Echoing the comments about saving up for 5 years for a golf, daft idea.

Golf is far better in terms of quality/build, and is a nicer cabin to be in, but less 'go karty' than the clio's, although it depends if you want a car to chuck around bends/track or to drive normally. I've had both and the golf just leaves you wanting to drive normally, despite its power.

Just save up a steady amount for a while and see how you feel in a year or so.

I got a 182 at 19, then a Mk5 Gti at 21.